Zippo if I don't smoke?

Yo Mama

Gold Member
Should I get a Zippo even if I don't smoke? They have a customization option where you put any picture you want, leaving me with it's shiny, functional, looks good, and USA made with lifetime warranty. And as Spyderco doesn't look like they will have enough s110v paramilitaries by Christmas, this would be my gift for the holidays.

Yes. Hard not to start a collection after you get your first one.

As a smoker, I have about a dozen Zippo's. Every now and then I'll fill one and use it for a bit. For the most part, I have them lining the top of a shelf as display pieces.

If you want a functional form of fire for EDC, just get a Bic. They're way cheaper for use than a Zippo.

Now I am going to go fill up my American Flag Zippo for Veteran's Day tomorrow, and carry it until the fuel runs out, so a few days to a week. Compare that to the Bic I've been using about a month now, and I smoke a pack a day at least.

Bics are fantastic, but even being a non smoker, I can remember my first zippo- gold malboro man on his horse from the malboro store. I was 12, bought it from an older kid for $20. Wish I still had it.

I am a non smoker and I carry one everyday.

When I joined the Navy in 1998, I decided to start smoking because, well, everyone else was doing it. So I bought a pack of smokes and a brand new brass Jack Daniels Zippo. I couldn't even get through that whole pack of cigs before I threw them all away. But I still have the Zippo and I still carry it every single day. It's dinged up, got some tarnish, and has been sent back to Zippo once for repairs. I love to break out the polishing rag and hit that thing with some brasso every once in a while. It's been a great companion over the years and I get a smile every time I pop it open and light the flame. Reminds me of sea spray, Navy sunsets, and a failed attempt at smoking!

[/IMG]

Cool, thanks for all the replies. I know a Bic lighter is much more reliable, but it just doesn't have that manly cool factor.

I don't smoke, but I just picked up a brushed stainless Zippo for $10 at wallyworld. I use it for melting paracord ends, lighting propane torches. I like playing with fire.

Ric

I don't smoke, and regularly carry a Zippo. Well, sort of...periodically I get tired of refilling it; so it will get left behind when I grab the rest of my edc stuff. The problem with Zippos is that, unlike butane lighters, you have to tell them regularly even if you don't use them. I keep deciding to get a butane insert to resolve that; but then I start looking at the jet versions which seem to have poor longevity (based on reviews)

If you put a ranger band around then while in storage it will really extend the fluid in them.

I carry one everyday, just a plain Jane black one from walmart, but I don't smoke and don't plan to start. In reality it's as much of an edc thing ad a pocket knife, I find that I use it when it's needed and it's definitely not a hassle to carry. YMMV but I think a lighter makes a great companion to the rest of your stuff:thumbup:

i use insert , it is great. never had gas, so they were useless for me until i bought inserts. i edc: one regular version, it's flame is like of a gas one and this is really awesome, how it looks and feels, and a jet one. i saw a guy customizing zippos in ukraine, would be cool, but i have no money, i like mine anyway. lost one of them, going to buy some more.

I've had one for 10 years now, I don't smoke but wanted something nice to carry just in case so got a plain Jane brass one. Cool lighter but they don't hold fluid well and I was tired of having to refill it. Plus between carrying a knife, gun, pens, wallet, keys, flashlight, I just ran out of room to put stuff so I quit carrying a lighter all together. If I need one, have one in the car and in which case, I hope I'm close.

If you put a ranger band around then while in storage it will really extend the fluid in them.

Never tried this before

I like Zippo's but the fluid dries up to quickly and it also stinks. :barf:

I am a pipe smoker, and I carried a Zippo for a bit over 30 years. I can't count the times it ran dry on me, or leaked in my pocket after a filling ad left a nice red chemical burn on my leg. Or how it left a chemical taste in my tobacco.

I finally ditched it and carried a Bic and never looked back. I regret staying so stubbornly with the Zippo. The Bic is light weight, clean buying, lasts 3 to 4 months of everyday use, and I can see how much fuel is left in it if I hold it up to the light.

Carrying a Zippo is like using a Model A Ford as an everyday driver. JUst too many better choices.

I also bought one at Walmart about a year ago and later got a Thunderbird butane insert for it. Butane doesn't evaporate, so it's always ready to start a fire!

I carried a Zippo for the cool factor until one day my leg suddenly felt very, very cold. The fluid had leaked out and onto my pants. After that I switched to the cheap, reliable Bic full time. Definitely not as snazzy, but far more practical.

Yeah the down side is the leaking after being filled. Most people over fill them. If you only go about 3/4 full they don't seem to leak.
I might have to do a test to see how long the fluid last with a stock lighter,one with a ranger band and one with duck tape. I would think one stored with duck tape would be good for now on. Anything to make them air tight should keep the fluid from evaporating. Can't believe Zippo has never designed one with a air tight lid.

You can get a nice red chemical burn if your Zippo is full and you drive over a mountain pass also. ;) I love my Zippos, but don't dispute the superiority of Bics.

+1 on this, i used to do this when i edc'd a zippo.

fwiw you don't need a "ranger band" necessarily. i cut a piece of old bike tire tubing that was a perfect fit.

The Zippo lighter is one of the triumphs of 20th Century industrial design. If you are ever close to Bradford, PA, check out the Zippo museum.

Back