Zippo if I don't smoke?

Yep, the little lever on the top of the insert that moves back and forth when the lid is opened and closed acts as the on/off switch for the butane. Lid open = butane on. Lid closed = butane off.

carried a zippo for the 10 years I was a smoker. It was fun to fiddle with when I was bored. I have retired all of mine since I quit smoking 2 years ago. I keep bics in my gear since the fuel doesn't evaporate.

Thanks for the thread OP. I now have a Thunderbird insert on order, and a Zippo will be a mainstay in my pocket.

I did fill my American flag Zippo for Veteran's Day, and planned on carrying it until the fuel dried out, looks like that's not going to be the case now. :D

Speaking of Zippos, this just came in the mail :)

9154F80C-589F-423B-9BA6-4810ED387F97_zpss8lt5ke0.jpg

Should I get a Zippo even if I don't smoke? They have a customization option where you put any picture you want, leaving me with it's shiny, functional, looks good, and USA made with lifetime warranty. And as Spyderco doesn't look like they will have enough s110v paramilitaries by Christmas, this would be my gift for the holidays.

DO it, you never know when you will need to start a fire or keep your hands warm.

I have carried a Zippo heavily since 97-98. I did have periods where I used other lighters. I have only had 1 leg burn. (Most people over fill their Zippo anyways) and that was before a $10 investment into the same Zippo pouch that I still own. I haven't lost a Zippo either, while using my pouch. My Zippo is no longer a fun little toy to tinker with & brag about. Though it is still a joy to use & I am proud of all of the ones I own.

My joy for Zippo was really increased when I started using Zippo flints & fluid. Better smell & ignition with an easier sparking flint. Hell I can circulate one set of guts through several Zippos for many years. All without trimming the wick either. Which is nice considering I smoke at least a pack a day. One thing I have noticed is, once I fiddle with the innards of a Zippo they never work the same way for me.

So in short for all the Marci's with their TL;DR crap. I personally suggest.

Buy real Zippo fluid, flints & pouch.
Trim the wick to a 1/4" the first day & leave it alone, period.
Don't over fill It. Two good squirts are usually good enough. If fluid runs of the wick it's too full. If you over fill it. Ignite the Zippo (while in the case:rolleyes:) for 15-30 seconds.
Don't use it when it's too low. You'll just burn off the wick. (glowing wick bad:grumpy:)
Stop doing stupid lighter tricks that make the lid lose. Causing them to dry out faster.
And as suggested by others, use a ranger band or a bic.

Back