Zippo Lighters - Worth Buying?

I have never considered buying a Zippo in the past. I always carry those cheap plastic lighters and they do come in handy (even with the fact that I quit smoking over 5 years ago :D ).

But I recently saw a "El Diablo Emblem Candy Apple Red" Zippo. OMG was that thing cool looking... (I found a pic online). Are Zippo lighters worth buying? They have been around for a long time so I would assume so, but thought I would try to get some opinions.

I saw that you can by "Flints & Wicks" for Zippos, how often do these need to be replaced? Also, is it worth spending the money for the Premium Butane Fuel?

Thanks for the help & advice! :cool:

21061.jpg

Zippos are great, however they do have to be fueled on a regular basis as they will go dry. BTW they do not use butane but rather a liquid fuel.

I have a couple, they work, though you have to refill them often (every 1 or 2 weeks) even if you don't use them as the fluid evaporates, truth is for a liquid fuel lighter I prefer my IMCO

You can convert a Zippo to butane by using a special insert, though I've never tried one and can't say how good they are, I should get one since I really like the torch type for lighting my cigars.

In general you rarely have to replace the wick, the flint wears down depending on use, I keep a spare flint inside the lighter.

I use inexpensive white gasoline (naphtha) in my liquid fuel lighters.

Luis

Interesting. Below is the link where I saw the Zipper Lighter Fliud and the Premium Butane (and grabbed the picture to post of the Zippo I was buying).
http://www.coolzippos.com/index.php?cPath=96_103

Why do they sell the Butane (that appears to be marked as a Zippo brand name) if the Zippos only use the fluid? Just curious, does Zippo make some models that run on Butane then?

If I order one online I will need to order some fuel to go with it, how do you know which one to then order? Thanks for the help.

Zippo does make a butane lighter, called the Zippo MPL, but it is not like the regular Zippo which uses lighter fuel, of course if you get a regular Zippo and add the butane insert, you'll need butane.

I believe that you should be able to find both butane and lighter fuel locally without much trouble (at tobacco shops, drugstores, hardware stores, department stores, etc.), if you can't find Zippo brand lighter fuel there's one made by Ronson, for butane there are lots of brands and different qualities.

Luis

Note that the MPL is a long lighter (8 inches) for use in stoves and the like, there is the Mini MLB which is still long at 6 1/2 inches.

Luis

cool thanks for the link don luis
i have the mpl and it is a brute i didnt know they have a mini
i got it for my bbq but it wont fit the hole it has lol
but it works good as a table lighter

Understood. :thumbup:

The Zippo MPL® is ideal for lighting grills, candles, fireplaces, stoves, campfires, lanterns, and more.
MPL_lifestyle_1.png

I figured this could replace the long lighters I use for the Grill and Campfires! :D It does look cool!

Zippo with the Z-plus insert is a great combo. Infact, the z-plus in sert for the zippo is one of the few butane jet lighters i found that wasn't a total piece of crap.

I've been using a Z-plus insert in my Zippo for over a year now. It's been totally reliable so far. The Z-plus is made by Blazer, which is a pretty good company. I bought an original Blazer PB-207 10 years ago, and it's still operating flawlessly in spite of being EDC'd, used and abused all this time.

I switched to the Z-plus/Zippo combo for EDC simply because the combo is flatter in my pocket, and the PB-207 was getting in that sentimental phase where I now consider it too valuable to carry around (a new one would just not feel right).

I also have an MPL for the BBQ. Works great, but not something you carry around in your pocket.

Guy

My Mom just gave me one that I bought my Pop maybe 30 years ago and it still works perfectly! Can't beat their warranty,lol, if it breaks, send it back to em and if it can't be fixed they'll send you a new one.

It sounds like the Zippo Z-plus is the way to go. I have checked a few websites after a google search. They all seem to use the same image...

Plus most places have it for under $10.00. Definately at least worth a try. Thanks for the advice.

z_plus_fluid_lighter_case_replacement_8s.jpg

I know many people that buy Zippo for collections I have several of the Harley Davidson zippos but I don't use them except on bike runs. For every day use I get the 25 cent plastic ones at the Indian smoke trailers.

It sounds like the Zippo Z-plus is the way to go. I have checked a few websites after a google search. They all seem to use the same image...

Plus most places have it for under $10.00. Definately at least worth a try. Thanks for the advice.

z_plus_fluid_lighter_case_replacement_8s.jpg

I highly recommend the Z-Plus insert. You can take it out of the case and still use it. I find that that comes in handy trying to light a candle down in a glass, as long as it's not burned down too far.

I had one of the MPL which really never worked so I sent it back and got one in return that also never really worked so I gave up. I will tell you that I can get a full Zippo to light in any wind that I have encounted. That said if you carry one for emergency reasons then I would carry a non BIC butane lighter, the BICs don't have an adjustable flame. You could also splurge and get a Dunhill butane, or for the same price get a couple of hundred cheap butane lighters!

what are the advantages of a butane lighter over a regular zippo lighter?

You have to refuel a regular zippo every week or so, depending on use. A butane lighter will not have this problem and will burn a lot hotter. You may be surprised that the flame from a zippo is really not all that hot.

The wick in a Zippo should last forever, if you dont use the lighter when its low on fuel.

Or do play around doing stupid tricks...:rolleyes: :D

I lost mine a few years ago and I've been thinking recently of getting another.

Back