Zippo Lighters - Worth Buying?

I saw that you can by "Flints & Wicks" for Zippos, how often do these need to be replaced? Also, is it worth spending the money for the Premium Butane Fuel?

I just bought my brushed chrome zippo on Saturday, and I'm impressed. Flints aren't a big deal- I bought a six pack for 53 cents when I bought my Zippo. The Zippo fuel really isn't that expensive- $2.95 for small an extra buck or two for large.

Go for it.

I routinely carry a titanium Zippo even though I maybe smoke a cigar 6-7 times a year. Very light weight and has a great patina from pocket carry.
Matt

Thank you all for the help and advice!

I just ordered the (1) El Diablo Emblem Candy Apple Red Zippo, (2) Blazer Z-Plus Insert, and (3) Zippo Gift Set (fuel and 6 flints). Now, I have to wait for my new toy! :D

Might have to look into that butane insert myself as the regular gas Zippo in my pocket always gave me a rash---so I had to stop using it.

I believe that the gift set (fuel and flints) is for the original lighter without insert since the insert uses butane and no flints (it's Electro Quartz ignition).

So I guess you can try both types and decide for yourself what you like best.

Enjoy it.

Luis

When I smoked cigarettes I always carrried a Zippo. I haven't had that chemical burn on my thigh from the fuel in over 6 years. ;)

yeh, butane is just better. I wouldn't be carrying a zippo if it wasn't for the Zplus insert

Thank you all for the help and advice!

I just ordered the (1) El Diablo Emblem Candy Apple Red Zippo, (2) Blazer Z-Plus Insert, and (3) Zippo Gift Set (fuel and 6 flints). Now, I have to wait for my new toy! :D

All my goodies showed up today, which was surprising since I ordered the Z-Plus from a different website.

The box on the Z-Plus insert stated that it does not contain Butane when sold, but it looks like it is filled with a liquid and light up right out of the box. Do these things run on the liquid fuel as well?

Also, the Z-Plus insert fits in the Zippo, but it is a tad loose. Loose to the extent that when you go to close the top the retention lever actually pulls the Z-Plus insert out of the housing. I guess I can jam something thin in there to make it a tighter fit. Still, it is pretty cool.

All my goodies showed up today, which was surprising since I ordered the Z-Plus from a different website.

The box on the Z-Plus insert stated that it does not contain Butane when sold, but it looks like it is filled with a liquid and light up right out of the box. Do these things run on the liquid fuel as well?

Also, the Z-Plus insert fits in the Zippo, but it is a tad loose. Loose to the extent that when you go to close the top the retention lever actually pulls the Z-Plus insert out of the housing. I guess I can jam something thin in there to make it a tighter fit. Still, it is pretty cool.

Squeeze your case just a bit to tighten it up. (but, not too much... It's handy to be able to get the insert out. I found that trying to light candles down in jars.) Also, you'll need to ba able to get it out to fill.

The butane will look like liquid inside the chamber, but I think it burns as a gas. No, you won't be able to get lighter fluid inside the lighter.

Some advice on filling... Make sure you drain it before you fill. When mine stopped lighting, I took it back to the store. Before I'd even finished my story to the guy behind the counter had one hand out for the insert and was reaching for a small screwdriver with the other. The butane contains gas that won't burn (or won't ignite in the Z-Plus), and you have to drain it. Hold the refill nozzle down and let it hiss dry, then refill it. I always wait 5-10 minutes to let the butane dry off my hands before trying to light.

Also, you should purchase your butane at a reliable source; the Walmart stuff will clog your lighter. I got mine at a cigar store, and that's where I'll get my refills.

...Do these things run on the liquid fuel as well...
No they don't, they need butane gas and from my experience with torch type butane lighters some are picky and need good quality butane. I use Newport butane from the UK because its what I find locally, you should be able to find several brands if you look around.

Luis

Squeeze your case just a bit to tighten it up.

Good thought, I tried it after your suggestion, but it is a little too loose :grumpy: . I'll try plan "B", maybe a small piece of duct tape at the bottom on the plastic part - IT WORKED NICELY (1 small piece)!

Relative to the Butane, I found the below online:
http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-Butane-Refill-6-canisters/dp/B000IADCMA

Is this a good deal for Butane? I assumed the save bet was to use Blazer Butane with the Blazer Z-Plus!

Well, the "El Diablo Emblem Candy Apple Red" Zippo with the Z-plus insert kicks ass! Thanks for the advice. The Butane Z-Plus was definately the way to go :thumbup:

I just saw the below Zippo and might have to order it for a spare!
20470.jpg

Red-Eyed Dragon Zippo Lighter - Satin Silver

I have 2 zippos. One just didnt seem to stop breaking on me... so I got another one. This one works well, although Im not sure if it really is that windproof.... Anyone else have this problem. I use the zippo fuel, and dont have anything to compare it with but it works well. Spare flints are cheap, and wicks arent bad too seeing as you wont change it that often

I have 2 zippos. One just didnt seem to stop breaking on me... so I got another one. This one works well, although Im not sure if it really is that windproof.... Anyone else have this problem. I use the zippo fuel, and dont have anything to compare it with but it works well. Spare flints are cheap, and wicks arent bad too seeing as you wont change it that often

If you still have that one that keeps breaking send it back to Zippo, they do have the best warrenty in the world.

To check windproof-ness try waving it lit in the air. Or toss it around a bit while lit.

Also you can play with the flame hight by moving the wick. Towards the wheel is small and lidwards is big.

I second their warranty as being great - I have quite a few - back when I was 18 or 19 I abused one, flipped it open all the time and did tricks wit h it - needless to say I broke the top off of it - sent it to Zippo - they not only soldered a the top back on for me, they replaced the entire guts of it - a brand new lighter w/ my old case, which they fixed. For free.

Back