Zippos for non smokers?

I'm wondering if any of you non smokers carry a zippo or other traditional lighter? I'm not a smoker, and I'm thinking I may purchase one. I've bought several fire steels but have been unable to start a fire yet. I guess it's the price I have to pay for not having been a Boy Scout as a kid. As I spend the majority of my time on the Traditional knife forum, it just seems right to try a zippo. Though I must say some of the cigars I've seen in the various EDC threads do look interesting.

They are handy to have. I use one for shrinking heat shrink tube on wires all the time. Handy to not have to hold it to keep lit. Makes it a little more hazardous though.

I carried one for a while, but in not constantly using it as a smoker would, the lighter fluid leaks out slowly. I found a solution in getting an aftermarket butane torch insert. It's pretty awesome - like a torch soldering pen within a Zippo case, but it does take away from the classic Zippo experience. If you have any interest in one, with the original or torch insert, shoot me a PM; I have one that's like new I no longer carry.

If not used they do let the fluid evaporate. A torch insert is good option for occasional use.

-X

They are handy to have. I use one for shrinking heat shrink tube on wires all the time. Handy to not have to hold it to keep lit. Makes it a little more hazardous though.
Yeah, you certainly don't want to drop one in the car wile tooling down the highway at 70 MPH

I carry a bic or other lighter occasionally. I use them all the time to melt Paracord but I mostly keep one in my coat or something on the off chance I was stranded in the wilderness, or someone needed a light. Somewhat related, does anyone have any recommendations for a Zippo insert that takes butane that isn't a jet lighter? Since the fuel seems to evaporate quickly for me on Zippo style lighters I find it hard to justify keeping one filled for the few times I use it.

I have a Zippo gentlemans folder with stainless steel scales I have had since the mid 60s. I quit pocketing my Zippo lighter due to its leaking and burning my thigh in the shape of the lighter after every refill.

I don't smoke. The only reason I don't carry my Zippo is because I can't get it to light anymore, despite it having plenty of fuel.

I smoke unfortunately so i carry a lighter regardless. But i have used Zippos quite a bit throughout the years.

Like mentioned the inserts are a good idea. If your just using it to start the occasional fire chances are the fluid will be gone when you need it.

But i think its a good idea to learn to use a firesteel. I believe you can do it. Try some dryer lint.

Now I made this video more as a joke than anything for another thread but it shows just how easy it is to start a fire with just dryer lint.

Once you get that down then start trying it with wood shavings. I have faith you can do this.

Scroll to 1:45

[video=youtube;jXz2w27wm_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXz2w27wm_U[/video]

I smoke unfortunately so i carry a lighter regardless. But i have used Zippos quite a bit throughout the years.

Like mentioned the inserts are a good idea. If your just using it to start the occasional fire chances are the fluid will be gone when you need it.

But i think its a good idea to learn to use a firesteel. I believe you can do it. Try some dryer lint.

Now I made this video more as a joke than anything for another thread but it shows just how easy it is to start a fire with just dryer lint.

Once you get that down then start trying it with wood shavings. I have faith you can do this.

Scroll to 1:45

[video=youtube;jXz2w27wm_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXz2w27wm_U[/video]

I've gotten lint to catch fire. It's getting the wood to catch after the lint. I'm going to try it again.

20 minutes later...

Well, I had a good amount of lint from the dryer. And obviously my wood dried out over the past several weeks. This was a piece of cake.

Last edited:
I've gotten lint to catch fire. It's getting the wood to catch after the lint. I'm going to try it again.

I have a cold so please excuse how i sound, but here is a video i made for you with a quick example of starting wood with lint.

Keep practicing, dont give up on it, you can do it bro!!!

[video=youtube;DI0NfGxipQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI0NfGxipQ8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I am a nonsmoker and I have been thinking about picking up a cool hinderer or steel flame skull Zippo.

Sweet firesteel too, i just noticed it.

Whats are the handles made of? They look cool.

Here are a couple i just picked up from a member here named Dexwithers, havent put them to use yet as i have quite a few steels these days but i like how these turned out. Both are dyed antler.

14109532656_28ac93b03f_z.jpg

14129381431_72ff1132f0_z.jpg

Here are a couple i just picked up from a member here named Dexwithers, havent put them to use yet as i have quite a few steels these days but i like how these turned out. Both are dyed antler.

The fire steel is a light my fire coco. They're plastic but don't look it. Even have a whistle.

I purchased a desert ironwood fire steel to go along with my ironwood Bark River Woodland Special.

I forgot to mention - these steels are stunning. So pretty you almost won't want to use them. Almost...

I own a zippo but don't carry it much. The few times I've tried it just hasn't been worth while. Pocket carry at 34C just means its dry by the end of the day. I keep a bic in the bag-o-doom. Zippos are awesome, but like any pet, you gotta look after them.

Back