Zippos for non smokers?

If you are really looking to carry something to dependably start a wood fire, a match safe with strike anywhere matches would be the way to go.

The fire steel is a light my fire coco. They're plastic but don't look it. Even have a whistle.

I purchased a desert ironwood fire steel to go along with my ironwood Bark River Woodland Special.

Really cool thanks for the info, it doesnt look like plastic at all!!

I forgot to mention - these steels are stunning. So pretty you almost won't want to use them. Almost...

Thanks man, they are pretty sweet. He did an excellent job on them thats for sure.

If you are really looking to carry something to dependably start a wood fire, a match safe with strike anywhere matches would be the way to go.

In a couple survival classes i have been trough we talk a lot about this.

The thing about matches are you are limited in how many fires you can make by how many matches you have. And thats if you can ALWAYS get a fire going from a single match. Also they NEED to be storm proof or waterproof matches or you are already behind the curve.

Now we took storm proof matches and 5-6 of them add up to the size of the large firesteel we were using for this demonstration. And 1 match was about the size of a small steel....With the matches that means at most your making 5-6 fires. With the steel your getting MUCH MUCH more.

If your just going camping for the night or starting a fire in the backyard fire pit then this is the better answer for most people. But if its in a survival situation id take a steel over any matches or lighters.

Also its never a bad idea to learn to make a fire bow drill kit. AND practice using it. Friction fires are always a possibility no matter what gear you have on you.

I'm wondering if any of you non smokers carry a zippo or other traditional lighter? I'm not a smoker, and I'm thinking I may purchase one. I've bought several fire steels but have been unable to start a fire yet. I guess it's the price I have to pay for not having been a Boy Scout as a kid. As I spend the majority of my time on the Traditional knife forum, it just seems right to try a zippo. Though I must say some of the cigars I've seen in the various EDC threads do look interesting.

Andya, I like traditional as much as the next guy, maybe more. But after carrying a Zippo for a bit over thirty years, I jumped ship. I always told myself that the once in a while red burn on my leg was just part of it, or when it unexpectedly runs out of fluid, it was just part of it. For many years now I've been carrying a Bic, and not only have I been happy, I'll never go back to a Zippo.

I'm a pipe smoker, so I really use my lighter several times everyday. The Bic is lighter, you can see how much fuel is left in it, and they can go for years and not loose any fuel. I once forgot to buy a new Bic when the fluid was low, and it ran out. I went into the emergency kit behind the seat of my truck, and got the Bic that was still in the wrapper, and had been there for at least five years. Tore open the plastic, and it lit right up. Still had all the fuel.

The second wake up call I had for Bic lighters was in the jungle in Costa Rica. Years ago, our oldest son, John, was sent there for 6 months for his company. He arranged for us to visit him and set everything up, including a hiking/camping wildlife trip in the rainforest. It was a guided tour, with the guides having a camp set up every night at another location that we had hiked to during the day, while looking at the many different creature that inhabit the rain forest. All the guides carried a machete of course, but I noticed that each one of them had a black nylon pouch on their belt, and in it was two items they used. A Swiss Army knife for small jobs around camp, and a Bic lighter. The lighters were used to start the campfires every evening. I asked one of the guides who spoke decent English why the Bic lighter. I'll never forest Enrique's answer; "Because they always work."

When we came home,I chucked my Zippo in the drawer and got a Bic, and never went back. If you'r not a smoker, just carry a Bic, or even a mini Bic, and you'll have fire when you need it, even if you don't use the lighter for years. But practice with the fire steel, it's reliable, and also can stay for years in a kit with no maintenance. I like traditional, but when something works so well as a Bic, I'll use it.

That is my match safe, my scout knife for scale, and the 24 matches I just dumped out of it. I admit, they are not water proof matches, but the last time I bought water proof matches, they were the same size. I can usually start a fire in one match, and never use drier lint.

Really cool thanks for the info, it doesnt look like plastic at all!!

Thanks man, they are pretty sweet. He did an excellent job on them thats for sure.

In a couple survival classes i have been trough we talk a lot about this.

The thing about matches are you are limited in how many fires you can make by how many matches you have. And thats if you can ALWAYS get a fire going from a single match. Also they NEED to be storm proof or waterproof matches or you are already behind the curve.

Now we took storm proof matches and 5-6 of them add up to the size of the large firesteel we were using for this demonstration. And 1 match was about the size of a small steel....With the matches that means at most your making 5-6 fires. With the steel your getting MUCH MUCH more.

If your just going camping for the night or starting a fire in the backyard fire pit then this is the better answer for most people. But if its in a survival situation id take a steel over any matches or lighters.

Also its never a bad idea to learn to make a fire bow drill kit. AND practice using it. Friction fires are always a possibility no matter what gear you have on you.
Now, I've never used a fire steel, full disclosure here. If I were carrying something in my pocket to start a fire, just in case, which is how I interpreted the op, i think the matches have it all over the other options. Certainly over a lighter, and I think most people have an easier time with matches. I could be wrong, but, most of the time, you don't really need to light too many fires each outing, right? And if something has gone wrong, and you are in an unforseen, "survival situation", you prolly need one fire. If you can't do that with 24 matches, you prolly can't do it with a fire steel, either.
I have started a fire with a bow drill. That's why i like matches so much :)

By all means if that is what you prefer and it works for you then go for it bud!!

But.....

What happens if you need to start a fire "just in case" and those matches get damp? Is the "safe" watertight? Even if so if the matches themselves could become damp once you pull them out. If thats really your "just in case" fire kit PLEASE at least go back to storm proof matches. Take one of your matches then blow hot humid air out your mouth directly on the match, then try and strike it. Humidity alone can ruin matches a lot of times.

Also it looks the same size or bigger than a lot of steels. I have steels from 2" to 5". They work wet, can make hundreds if not thousands of fires, and are actually reliable. With practice you can start a fire just as quick with a steel.

PERSONALLY, Id never rely on matches in the woods bud. I see no benefits at all over a steel honestly.

But again, everyone is different. So if it works well for you then keep it up bro!!

By all means if that is what you prefer and it works for you then go for it bud!!

But.....

What happens if you need to start a fire "just in case" and those matches get damp? Is the "safe" watertight? Even if so if the matches themselves could become damp once you pull them out. If thats really your "just in case" fire kit PLEASE at least go back to storm proof matches. Take one of your matches then blow hot humid air out your mouth directly on the match, then try and strike it. Humidity alone can ruin matches a lot of times.

Also it looks the same size or bigger than a lot of steels. I have steels from 2" to 5". They work wet, can make hundreds if not thousands of fires, and are actually reliable. With practice you can start a fire just as quick with a steel.

PERSONALLY, Id never rely on matches in the woods bud. I see no benefits at all over a steel honestly.

But again, everyone is different. So if it works well for you then keep it up bro!!
Yes, the safe us watertight. Little neoprene washer in the lid. The waterproof ones were cool. You could submerge the match for quite a while, pull it out, and use it. But I've never found them to be useful beyond showing off. What I meant by"just I'm case" I think is bit different than what you are talking about. The op mentions lighting cigars, for example. If that is the kind of actual use you are thinking about, then a lighter prolly makes most sense. He also talks about fire starting. I figure, if I want a tool to start the odd fire, (not so much packing for a month in Antarctica), and maybe light a cigar, or a butt for a friend, then matches all the way. I have always found it easier to start a fire with a match than a lighter. With a match, you can easily get the flame to the base if your tinder, lighters made this harder for me. I imagine a fire steel can do this well, with some practice, but I haven't tried it, so I don't really know. Prolly not gonna go this rout to light up a smoke. I have actually considered getting a fire steel. cool skill to have, and all. :)

Last edited:
Now, I've never used a fire steel, full disclosure here. If I were carrying something in my pocket to start a fire, just in case, which is how I interpreted the op, i think the matches have it all over the other options. Certainly over a lighter, and I think most people have an easier time with matches. I could be wrong, but, most of the time, you don't really need to light too many fires each outing, right? And if something has gone wrong, and you are in an unforseen, "survival situation", you prolly need one fire. If you can't do that with 24 matches, you prolly can't do it with a fire steel, either.
I have started a fire with a bow drill. That's why i like matches so much :)

I hate matches. For the space they take up I prefer carrying tinder and a steel instead. A fire straw with pertolium soaked cotton balls or a match? One burns like crazy the other burns...okay...maybe...most of the time. ;)I can't see myself ever going back to matches.

As far as the OP's question. Get a mini bic. They're smaller and lighter which makes them more pocketable. Otherwise the only real downside to a zippo is the fluid evaporation which can be helped but it will always be an issue.

To all those guys who burned their legs, don't fill it so full. I haven't had that problem in years.

I hate matches. For the space they take up I prefer carrying tinder and a steel instead. A fire straw with pertolium soaked cotton balls or a match? One burns like crazy the other burns...okay...maybe...most of the time. ;)I can't see myself ever going back to matches.

As far as the OP's question. Get a mini bic. They're smaller and lighter which makes them more pocketable. Otherwise the only real downside to a zippo is the fluid evaporation which can be helped but it will always be an issue.

To all those guys who burned their legs, don't fill it so full. I haven't had that problem in years.

A fire straw doesn't really have the traditional stylings the op mentioned. But a nice brass match safe, now....
remember how cool guys I'm the old movies look striking a match on a rock, or the school house wall, talk about traditional cool. Of course, most of those guys prolly have lung cancer, and I'm not suggesting anyone start smoking.
And I know I recommended a lighter, but bic lighters had one annoying trait, as i remember from when I was a smoker. You would be driving down the road, trying to light your smoke, and the lighter would be full of pocket lint. Not a big deal to clean out, but not really easy while you are driving, either. Course, I nearly lit my truck on fire with a match that fell, but that is another story. Prolly best if you just use em to light your campfires.

I'm wondering if any of you non smokers carry a zippo or other traditional lighter? I'm not a smoker, and I'm thinking I may purchase one. I've bought several fire steels but have been unable to start a fire yet. I guess it's the price I have to pay for not having been a Boy Scout as a kid. As I spend the majority of my time on the Traditional knife forum, it just seems right to try a zippo. Though I must say some of the cigars I've seen in the various EDC threads do look interesting.

I was once a heavy smoker and now that I've quit, I do miss my zippo's.
Check out Maratac stainless steel lighter, comes on a keychain with an o ring to seal it. I've been rocking it for a couple months and it never dries out (although I rarely use it, but that's what it's for)

Back in my younger day I smoked. I carried a Zippo until I discovered butane lighters. I always hated the Zippo because I could taste the fluid in my cigarette. I no longer smoke, but still carry a mini Bic. I carry it for the same reason I carry a flash light, you never know when you might need it and it is far better to have it and not need it than vice versa.

I've had plenty on luck with Light My Fire Original Swedish FireSteel they set the bar when it comes to fire starters. As for a Zippo they aren't bad per se; but they do leak fluid. More so fluid evaporation, but same thing right?

You might be better off with a Bic or a butane lighter. If you choose butane, always use good fuel. And I'd recommend a Vector.

I don't smoke, never smoked or did drugs. But I used to take lighters from friends and family when they said they quit to make it that much harder for them to light up a cigarette so they have to go out and buy one for that purpose instead of a moment of opportunity "I need a smoke" type of deal. So I had quite a few BIC's, I found those don't seem to lose fluid when not in use for years, which I hear zippos tend to lose fluid over time. Or if they do, they seem to be doing it very slowly as I still have 1 or 2 in the car for the past several years that haven't been used and still have fluid and same with a few others in my house. And as cheap as those lighters are they never failed to start a fire on me once. Had 1 or 2 torch lighters which failed to work after awhile, fun while they lasted on the 4th of July for lighting fireworks though as it made life a lot easier in windy weather.

I EDC a zippo and don't smoke. Been doing it for maybe 10 years now. Yes they do require more maintenance than a bic. I fill mine pretty much once a week whether it needs it or not. I am a fiddler, it gets flicked several times throughout the day. As for the burns from filling, I found a great way to avoid that. Immediately after filling I wrap the lighter in my bandanna before shoving it into my pocket. By the time I am flicking it a couple hours later the chance of fluid leaking and burning my leg is gone.

As for an old zippo not lighting despite being full, if it sparks, you probably have carbon buildup on the wick. Pull it out a bit and then trim it. (Or replace it with a new wick...or light the lighter and let it burn itself out of fuel, careful gets very hot and needs a safe place to sit.)

Like Gadgetgeek said, it's like a pet you have to look after them. I like fiddling and messing with my gear, so it's a great fit for me. If I just wanted a lighter than works 100% of the time, I'd carry a bic. I have one that I can verify as being over twelve years old that still works. (I borrowed it from a smoker at a cookout when I forgot mine, and forgot to return it. It is the only bic I have that has a screenprinted picture on it. Still in kitchen drawer for lighting candles and stuff, still works.)

As a note, I carry backup bic lighters in my bag.

Grizz

Windproof lighter>Bic>Matches>FireSteel in terms of performance.

A zippo offers the highest level of wind resistance in any traditional flame lighter, but requires filling every 2 weeks. A Bic offers great reliability, but sucks the D in wind (a beach, a city with skyscrapers, a ski lift, moving car, etc.) Matches are meh, there's a reason you don't see smokers using matches. A firesteel is when all of those options have been exhausted, or for fun.

The question is what level of performance do you need? For the majority of the planet, Bic's are perfect. Some people want a higher level of windresistance (serious smokers, fireworks fiends) and they'll need a Zippo.

But of the 400 Million Zippo's in circulation, I'd wager 398 Million are empty and sitting in a drawer.

I've never smoked, but I carry a Zippo when camping. I just like the feel and looks of it. After reading about possible leaks and rapid fluid evaporation, I purchased a Vector KGM Thunderbird butane insert and never looked back. Works great and easy to refill. :thumbup:

THINSERTGmed.jpg

Back