ZT 0150 boot knife/dagger

Pictures courtesy of T.A.D. gear.

I've had this knife for over a year now. Still running strong. Thought I'd post a formal review.

We'll start with overall first looks outta the box.

ker-zt-0150.jpg

Totally B.A.! Razor sharp S30V steel, and they put an extremely polished edge on mine--really nice job on the edge.

Upon further inspection, the G-10 at first will seem quite grippy, but will eventually seem perfect--if you put in the small of your back, it won't scratch you, yet it is sufficiently grippy.

ker-zt-0150-tn2.jpg

Full tang--it has notches toward the hilt and towards the butt of the blade--again, small enough to not bug you when you carry it against your skin, but are there to provide the perfect amount of grip along the sides of the blade which don't have the G-10.

It also has a lanyard hole in the butt, should you need/want one.

The torx screws that hold the G-10 to the blade are screwed in extremely tight--It will not come off under even harsh use.

The G-10 is very strong and impact-resistant--dropped it on tile, and didn't even ding the G-10, just a slight tile-colored mark!

Blade is a dagger--so it's Ambidextrous, should you need to use it with your weak hand.

ker-zt-0150-tn3.jpg

Sheath--It has 5 eyelets for a merc-harness, should you wish to carry it under-neath a garment shoulder holster style.

It has Belt/tie-down slits, 5/16th's of an inch wide, two are 1 inch long, the other two are 7/8th's inches long.

Belt clip is some sort of flexible plastic--does its job fine for clipping to a belt, but I dunno about a boot--needs to be able to latch on something.

Underneath belt clip is a small space--enough room for sling type material.

Sheath has level 1 and 2 retention

Level one retention is permanently molded, small piece of kydex made so that it has good retention, but the blade can also be pulled straight out with decent force. You can also use your thumb to slightly bend it to take out the blade. (Opposite side of thumb snap in picture)

Level two retention is optional, it is some sort of a Metal-weaved rubber-coated strap. You can pull it to the side so that it doesn't get in the way of the level 1 retention kydex, or you can pull it over the blade so the you must unbutton it in order to draw the blade.

The edged blade is exactly as long as the handle--measured with ruler each 3 5/8 in.

Oh, almost forgot about the coating--it is insanely tough. "PVD" coated--physical vapor deposition or something like that. They do use that coating on pistols, I've heard.

One side note, the kydex sheath will mark the coating, but it can be scrubbed off with some soap.

Absolutely no negatives--I can literally attach it anywhere, (belt, IWB, 11'o'clock, vest, backpack, etc.) and can draw it with ease if needed. My only small preference change being the plastic clip--maybe a blackened metal clip would suit for belt carry more often.

EDIT 4/5/09: some comparison photos--sorry for the quick-and-dirty quality :eek:

Be sure to check with your local laws before purchasing--it is a dagger, and a nice one at that. :thumbup: :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, knivesandguns. I've been looking for a quality small dagger to replace the knock off Mark I that I've been using.

Hello Knivesandguns.
I'm new to this forum, and I've got 3 ZT daggers (AKA 150)
I use one of these daily for knife-throwing practice, since I always carry one of these at work. It's a great knife to carry, and an incredible knife to throw.
Extra solid, and super sweet...
Only thing I have to add to the review. The edge seems to rub against the plastic, inside the sheath.

Hello Knivesandguns.
I'm new to this forum, and I've got 3 ZT daggers (AKA 150)
I use one of these daily for knife-throwing practice, since I always carry one of these at work. It's a great knife to carry, and an incredible knife to throw.
Extra solid, and super sweet...
Only thing I have to add to the review. The edge seems to rub against the plastic, inside the sheath.

Welcome to bladeforums!

So they DO throw well eh? How do you throw them? Could you perhaps email me with your technique?

Yes, the edge sometimes will, but my knife has stayed super sharp. How do they thow, and how do they handle the throwing?

Hey Knivesandguns
Throwing the ZT dagger is very simple. First, you've got to know how to throw a typical throwing knife, without making it spin.(which you might know already)
Then, throw the ZT the same way, but making sure the index finger holds the knife in the center, a little towards the handle. And Walla! finally a throwing knife small enough, nice enough to carry and use it for EDC.
The knife handles throwing VERY well, and I've been throwing one of the daggers for over a year, every so often... Always keep in mind though, that if it falls on hard surface, or you miss and hit something else than wood, you may chip or break the tip (which is fine for me, since S30V is easy to sharpen and fix). Try it out, see how it works, and don't forget, it's coated in brown, so try not to lose it neither... :)

Unfortunately, I know nothing about throwing. If it's possible could you email me (in my profile) and explain (so that the thread doesn't go off topic)? I have no idea how to make a knife not spin in air, or how to hold it, etc. Throwing something has always seemed a novelty to me.

Thank you! :)

Knivesandguns, good to know you're enthusiastic about learning, but be advised - Try to learn how to throw without a spin with a throwing knife, or a knife you wouldn't mind Fu@#ing up.
As for me, I use a very simple technique, been using it for over 7 years.

For shorter distances, I usually hold the knife by the handle, pinching with me index finger and thumb, the center of the knife. The butt of the knife sits at the lower part of the palm. I then throw it, usually overhead, while holding it lightly, so it can fly out of my hand, as straight and without interference, as possible. Now, this method works for me at distances lesser than 7 feet (give or take).
If throwing from a bigger distance, all I change is the holding method. I let the blade rest in my palm, while as before, making the main "hold" with my index and thumb at the Center of the knife (guards' area). I also throw overhead, trying to rather let the knife slip from my fingers, rather than releasing it myself. Now some people may say there is more to it, but I've been throwing knives since I was 13, and I cannot remember much more of what I learned as a beginner. But I assure you, that once you get the hand of close distance throwing, which is generally easier, practice and you shall learn to throw well. And remember, you got to find what works for YOU.
Practice hard, and take care. ;)

Sounds good razorsharp. I'll practice on a cheapie I have first :D

Vic, you won't be disappointed! :thumbup:

I have 2 of them. It is My Favorite Dagger of that size ever Production made. It is Perfect in all ways.

One thing I wish( I Understand It is marketed to Military Members) So they have to make the sheath with 2 retention systems to make it Jumpable.

But One thing I wish they Just Came with a Simple Leather sheath with Boot clip and quick thumb release, like most cheaper dagger, like for instance the S&W dagger comes with. That would be nice, Or Just a Regular Kydex sheath Like Blade tech with small tech Lock. but that one small problem is miniscule compared to hoe Nice of a Knife it truly is. and the Wonderful price!!!

it's nice enough I am Having one of mine getting a Custom Leather sheath and the Other a Custom Kydex. it's so cheap(I got mine for 75) that spending $50 for a sheath for a Perfect dagger, making total cost 125 is perfectly reasonable to me.

Nice review.

I say anyone looking for a small boot sized dagger, this is it Period.

Oh Yes, And the Coating is So tough it eats the Kydex sheath. at first it appears to be rubbing the coating, but you wipe it with wet rag and it's actually just the kydex rubbing off. Thats how tought that particular coating is. I hope more knife that are coated would use that coating, otherwise just don't coat it. I have knives( Like Benchmade and Emerson) that have black coating that are so poor I can almost scratch it off with my fingernail!!! Waste!!

Whats the Point? The Steel looks Beautiful on it's own. if you want to put a protective coating on it make it a real one like the ZTs 0150 "PVD".

Also Shows you(This knife) how Over Priced Most Knives are. Perfect razor sharp S30V. Textured G10 with Jimping all over the place and a Super Multi carry sheath for $75!!!! I Know the MSRP is more. but you can find it for that and easily less then 100 easily!!

Yeah the PVD is insane stuff--I've seen it advertised for firearm coatings.

Where are you getting your sheaths made? Could you post pictures of them once you have them?

Hi, new to this forum
I have just orderd one of these little toys via eBay, sounds like it was a good call.
I have a Strider SnG made of the s30v/G-10 combination and that thing is damn near indestructable!
I was in the market for a small tactical boot-knife made of similiar materials and this one seems to be the go. Just hope it clears customs! (I'm in Australia)
Will post an update/review when it arrives.

Last edited:
The 0150 is really a great specialty knife. This is definitely the best dagger, for the price, on the market right now.
ZT continues to amaze me with the quality and designs they offer. (One caveat on this one though).

Since I don’t jump, I removed the Retention strap and the subsequent metal hardware attached to the kydex sheath. The profile is slimmer now.

The PVD coating doesn’t seem all that great. I have areas on both sides of the knife that the sheath has rubbed the coating off. This started happening right after I got the knife. It had no exposure to dirt or abrasives of any kind so it couldn’t be attributed to that.
Mind you, the marks are very, very small, but they are there. The coating is gone.

I was looking at a rather exclusive high end knife with a PVD coating a while back. When I saw the ZT had the same coating I figured I’d try it first to check it out.
So far I’m not impressed.
However, since this knife won’t be used for field work or daily tasks, it’s not that big of a deal. Daggers aren’t designed for EDC tasks…

If the coating on the ZT150 is the same as the rest of the ZT line, and I would guess it is, then it is actually called DLC, or Diamond Like Coating. If memory serves me the RC hardness is close to 80. As already stated the coating does not wear off, rather things you cut tend to rub onto the coating. Liked the review k&g, and it is really making me think seriously about this one. Btw, what is the blade thickness?

Coating is DLC indeed, just like Spyderco's coating. Best coating out there, IMO. The wear resistance is absurd, on both my ZTs' coating and my Spydercos'.

Per the ZT website; PVD coating.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=391&brand=zt

Do your homework, I did mine.

I wish they would have put the Tungsten DLC coating on this one.

Hey, for $125 is still a great knife.

Most people wouldn’t even notice the wear, that’s how slight it is. Under a microscope, most of the contact area looks polished instead of worn off, so it isn’t that bad.
It certainly isn’t a deal breaker. It isn’t even bad enough to send the knife back for a replacement.

The steel used is S30V, so even of the coating is gone, corrosion isn’t really an issue. I don’t use daggers as my primary field knife, so the most wear the coating is going to see is from the sheath.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from buying this knife. If you like it, by all means, buy it! You can’t buy a better boot knife for this price.

I have always loved the loom of that knife after seeing ads for it in various gun magazines. Having now seen close up pictures of it in this thread it looks like a lot of thought and design went into both the handle and sheath.
Thanks for the review

Back