ZT 0150 boot knife/dagger

Hmm, interesting.
All ZT models are coated with DLC. The dagger, on their site, is said to be coated with PVD. Though coating looks identical.

PVD is a process of putting a coating onto the blade, I still believe the coating itself to be DLC. Check out this homework link and all of these say DLC coating, EXCEPT the 150, but I can't imagine that Kershaw would deviate and do a whole different coating for one knife.

http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?search_by=knifefeatures&search_value=9&brand=zt

UPDATE: A bit more homework came up with this info from PVD-Coatings;

Dymon-iC™ DLC coating
Dymon-iC™ is a diamond-like carbon, DLC coating that offers exceptional tribological properties in comparison to conventional DLC coatings. The coating is deposited using a hybrid PVD / PACVD (plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition) process.

Last edited:
Hi, new to this forum
I have just orderd one of these little toys via eBay, sounds like it was a good call.
I have a Strider SnG made of the s30v/G-10 combination and that thing is damn near indestructable!
I was in the market for a small tactical boot-knife made of similiar materials and this one seems to be the go. Just hope it clears customs! (I'm in Australia)
Will post an update/review when it arrives.

Welcome! Good way to start a ZT collection :D I know that you'll enjoy it :thumbup:

Bearcut, my coating has not worn at all, from countless times of sheathing and resheathing. Dunno what's up with yours, but I *think* that the enhanced corrosion properties still stay with the metal even when the coating color seems worn. I might be confusing that with a different coating though, dunno. :confused:

Razorsharp--The coating on all of my Kershaw/ZT models is indeed untouchable by others out there. I've heard that many other brands scratch with light use. I've used the crap out of many ZT 0610ST (I may do a review of that next) and there's no fading or anything.

PVD is a process of putting a coating onto the blade, I still believe the coating itself to be DLC. Check out this homework link and all of these say DLC coating, EXCEPT the 150, but I can't imagine that Kershaw would deviate and do a whole different coating for one knife.

http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?search_by=knifefeatures&search_value=9&brand=zt

UPDATE: A bit more homework came up with this info from PVD-Coatings;

Dymon-iC™ DLC coating
Dymon-iC™ is a diamond-like carbon, DLC coating that offers exceptional tribological properties in comparison to conventional DLC coatings. The coating is deposited using a hybrid PVD / PACVD (plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition) process.

Cutter,

The coating on the 0150 seems a bit grainier than the DLC that I have on my other ZT’s. Maybe in part due to the 0150’s color, (earth). The black DLC seems harder and smoother, and I haven’t worn it off at all. I’m still not too impressed with the coating on the 0150 no matter what it is. For the money it is still a great knife though.

Yes, I have heard that some coatings 'stick' to the steel even though they look like they are worn off. This may be true for this coating as well. Maybe just the color is slightly worn off. Hey, like I said, I'm not worried about it.

Thanks for doing your homework. You get an A for effort.

Hey BC, effort's what it is all about!:D I've not seen the actual coating on the ZT150, so maybe Kershaw did go with something else. It just seems like they would stay with the same thing the rest of the line has.:confused: Anyway, it sounds like a solid piece of cutlery and one I'm going to have to put on the "to get" list!:thumbup::)

Well, much to my disgust my long-awaited ZT0150 was bounced by customs (they sent me a seizure notice today)
No refunds of course..
Oh well, I guess you can't win em' all.. (*sobb!sobb!*)
The irony is you can walk into any disposals or camping store in the country and buy a sword, or a bayonet, or a far bigger and nastier offensive looking weapon that these cool little knives.:eek:

Well, much to my disgust my long-awaited ZT0150 was bounced by customs (they sent me a seizure notice today)
No refunds of course..
The irony is you can walk into any disposals or camping store in the country and buy a sword, or a bayonet, or a far bigger and nastier offensive looking weapon that these cool little knives.:eek:

if you're in the uk try heinnie.com I think they have them. although as is usual over here, they cost considerably more :mad:

No refunds of course..

That SUCKS man! :thumbdn: Stupid customs.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Great review and great looking knife...

No refunds of course..
That sucks! I wonder, in which country do live?

Thanks for the great review, knivesandguns. I've been looking at lower-priced boot knives (specifically the various Smith and Wesson HRT models) just to have SOMETHING until my budget increases, but I'm sure the low price is a reflection of the quality. The ZT 0150 is definitely going on my shopping list.

Also, I'm new to the forum, so I hope you'll excuse me if there's an introduction thread I missed...I didn't see one anywhere.

Thanks for the great review, knivesandguns. I've been looking at lower-priced boot knives (specifically the various Smith and Wesson HRT models) just to have SOMETHING until my budget increases, but I'm sure the low price is a reflection of the quality. The ZT 0150 is definitely going on my shopping list.

Also, I'm new to the forum, so I hope you'll excuse me if there's an introduction thread I missed...I didn't see one anywhere.

Welcome to bladeforums JJL! :thumbup:

You're gonna love it here... I promise. :D In fact, your wallet will be just a lil' lighter, as part of the side effects. ;)

As a note to the S&W stuff... you get what you pay for. I'd save that money or buy something more worthwhile with it, honestly. (Unless you need a fixed blade really badly) When I was two years younger, I went through 12 S&W folders until I got a REAL knife (Kershaw blur).

Welcome to bladeforums JJL! :thumbup:

You're gonna love it here... I promise. :D In fact, your wallet will be just a lil' lighter, as part of the side effects. ;)

As a note to the S&W stuff... you get what you pay for. I'd save that money or buy something more worthwhile with it, honestly. (Unless you need a fixed blade really badly) When I was two years younger, I went through 12 S&W folders until I got a REAL knife (Kershaw blur).

Well, thank you kindly! :D

I just got back from a trip to Wally World where I bought my first "real" knife...a Buck 110 Folding Hunter. It was only $30, which surprised me because I think they're in the $65 range if you buy from Buck.

In fact, Walmart's selection (and low prices) were pretty surprising in general. They had quite a few Bucks, Gerbers and Leathermans (Leathermen?) for next to nothing.

I probably will avoid that S&W boot knife. After you mentioned Kershaw, I looked around at some of their knives and I was really impressed. I've been seeing a lot of troubling things on the news lately, and I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable going about my everyday business with one of these in my boot or strapped to my leg.

I've been shopping around for pistols as well, but I can't get a carry permit for another 8 months...you've got to be 21 here in PA.

Well, thank you kindly! :D

I just got back from a trip to Wally World where I bought my first "real" knife...a Buck 110 Folding Hunter. It was only $30, which surprised me because I think they're in the $65 range if you buy from Buck.

In fact, Walmart's selection (and low prices) were pretty surprising in general. They had quite a few Bucks, Gerbers and Leathermans (Leathermen?) for next to nothing.

I probably will avoid that S&W boot knife. After you mentioned Kershaw, I looked around at some of their knives and I was really impressed. I've been seeing a lot of troubling things on the news lately, and I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable going about my everyday business with one of these in my boot or strapped to my leg.

I've been shopping around for pistols as well, but I can't get a carry permit for another 8 months...you've got to be 21 here in PA.

Glad to hear you're conscientious about pistol's as well. I'm 16, so I have a ways to go ;)

Nice pickup on the Buck 110--it's a classic! I haven't heard much on the Kershaw military boot knife, so I can't give any input on that, sorry.

Anybody own both the ZT 0150 and a Fallkniven Garm? Both around the same size. I have no access to either of them locally, can you compare them for me?

Back