ZT 0200 review

Howdy folks!
This is my first ZT knife. And I must say, I am blown away by the quality.
It truly is amazing.
I bought mine while on vacation with family. I paid $180 for it.
The second I held it at the store, I knew it was right. Solid, grippy, cool-looking, and smoooooooth.

The length on it is 8.75 inches
It weighs 7.8 oz.

The blade is recurved, full flat ground (almost sabre), 4mm thick, 154CM, and DLC coated. The coating is STRONG and wont easily wear. The only downside is that it shows everything and its a bit hard to clean.

It was slightly off center when I first got it, but I got it perfect. And it was easy. I centered it riding in the back seat of a car, at night. My cousin held a flashlight for me.
The handle is aggressively textured G10 over beefy stainless liners. The liners are skeletonized with circles cut out of them.
Look how thick those liners are.
ZTreview011_zps1eab32ab.jpg

The ergonomics are great. No hot spots and works in every grip.
ZTreview003_zps22dda489.jpg

ZTreview004_zpsc4207767.jpg

ZTreview005_zpsd949596e.jpg

ZTreview006_zpscefeb4d0.jpg

The clip is the standard ZT clip, and mine is wicked tight. Its a good thing, because this heavy knife wont fall out of my pocket easy, but its rough on pants.
I carried it while snowmobiling, jumping and doing about 100MPH at times and it didnt budge. (Private land :))
4-way mountable.
I went for tip-down on mine., When its set for tip-up, the clip isnt straight, so the knife wants to be sideways in your pocket. Tip-down keeps it straight.
ZTreview009_zps78e172f3.jpg

ZTreview013_zpsc156e977.jpg

Tip-up looks a little goofy.
ZT002_zps7aeb36fd.jpg

The blade thickness stays most of the length, and the tip is strong. Mine has been stabbed into wood multiple times, and the ground a couple, and shows no wear.

I dropped it about 4 feet off a table onto the pavement, and it held up really good. It DID chip in a couple spots, but I got most of it out.
ZT010_zps3949211b.jpg

If flips like an assisted folder, and it is smooth. Like hot butter on sunny glass kinda smooth. No wrist action needed.
The thumbstuds work great too.
ZTreview001_zps0f20f369.jpg

ZTreview002_zps2dfed4f5.jpg

The lockup is perfect. Nomatter how fast or how slow you flip it, it locks up the same amount every time. And when you use it hard, it just barely moves over.
Absolutely NO bladeplay. At all. It's never been an issue so I forgot to mention it when I made the review. :thumbup: Awesome.
ZTreview007_zpsd49b2e83.jpg

The pivot on this thing is big enough for 3 knives.
ZTreview010_zps860a973a.jpg

"So is anything bad?"
Ehhhhh kinda. The detent is a bit weak. Not a major issue, but it is noteworthy. Twice I had it open just past the detent but, it was loose in my back pocket.
I wouldnt necessarily say its a EDC, but it works with deep pockets. I carried it with shorts too. I actually found it more comfortable with the shorts.

Its a %99 out of %100

This thing is fantastic. I know its an old knife, but ZT/KAI knocked it out of the park here. A $200-ish knife with great lockup, great materials, buttery smooth action, and built like a tungsten-walled tank. I havent done anything crazy with it, but I am confident enough that I can.
If youre looking for an EDC knife and hard-use isnt yout thing, its not for you.
If youre looking for an hard-use knife that can be EDC'd, then this is for you.
It is very confidence inspiring for sure.
If youre thinking about it, stop. Just buy it already!

Glamour shots. :)
ZTreview012_zps058a91fc.jpg

0200pics004_zps042953d8.jpg

0200pics003_zps6d805694.jpg

0200pics001_zpsd4e56f21.jpg

ZT006_zps07e369cf.jpg

ZT001_zps6716fc27.jpg

Yes, I chopped that stick with the ZT. :D

Last edited:
Great review man, I agree 100 percent about the 0200. It's an amazing knife for the price. :)

Agreed. I gave one away to a kid entering boot camp and I missed the knife so much I bought another. Great price point and solid tool.

Good review bladeboss. The photos really make your words come alive. My 0200 is a good companion, and is one of my favorite knives. I find its size reassuring without being cumbersome. It might not be perfect as you pointed out, but its very close. Good luck with your new friend.

Good review bladeboss. The photos really make your words come alive. My 0200 is a good companion, and is one of my favorite knives. I find its size reassuring without being cumbersome. It might not be perfect as you pointed out, but its very close. Good luck with your new friend.

Thank you for the review. I like the 0200 quite a bit.
Thank you for the kind words!

looks comfy Thats cool, a manual opener(thumbstud) those are Massive thumbstuds!! with a unassisted flipper, Sounds bomb!

Nice!

A great but far too often overlooked ZT...I bought one sorta on a whim when I found one online with a stonewash finish (0200KW) and then was very impressed with the knife once it arrived. After carrying and using mine for a week or two the flipper action continued to get better and better. Its one Hell of a knife for the price and I can speak from experience that ZT's customer service is incredible (not that you'll ever need to use it)...hope you continue to enjoy yours!

A great but far too often overlooked ZT...I bought one sorta on a whim when I found one online with a stonewash finish (0200KW) and then was very impressed with the knife once it arrived. After carrying and using mine for a week or two the flipper action continued to get better and better. Its one Hell of a knife for the price and I can speak from experience that ZT's customer service is incredible (not that you'll ever need to use it)...hope you continue to enjoy yours!
Funny that you'd mention that about the flipping action. I noticed just today that it seems to be getting smoother.

I have one on layaway (yes, I'm that broke! Stop laughing!) and I'm giddy with anticipation!

The 0200 was my second ZT after the 0400. I now have the 0300, 0350, 0561, 0801, and 0600. The 0200 is my go to "yard" knife. I have it in my pocket today, had it in my pocket the day before, etc, etc. It really is on hell of a knife. I'm not saying it's better than all the others, but if there is a possibility that I may beat on a knife during the day, the 0200 goes in my pocket. The ergonomics are 2nd to none (IMO). I paid ~ $120 for mine years ago. It is a "hard use knife" that I don't mind using hard. I think it's a combination of construction + price point + intended use that keeps it's place in my pocket. (The 0400 was less expensive, but the intended use aspect gives it very little pocket time). The others are at a price point ($200+) that cause them to get passed over for the 0200. Don't get me wrong, I do use/carry the others, but the 0200 is as capable as the others, and chips in it's blade doesn't bother me as bad as chips in the 0600;)

yep, it's a winner in my book, great for camping, etc, but it was just too heavy for me to edc comfortably. fantastic design and quality though, and imho much more comfortable under hard use than its cousin, the 0560/0561

Great review! I have one on the way I traded for a benchmade griptilian. Love the pics,, I couldnt find hardly eny one YouTube. Thanks!

Does this have bronze washers or bearings? I think someone mentioned that it had bearings, but I hadn't heard of that before.

Great review and pics! What was the real difference between the 301 and 200?
Thanks all!
There's a lot of differences between the two.
The 0300 has a titanium Framelock, S30V steel, and assisted opening. And it's not as long

New to ZT and looking for an EDC. I am curious about this one, but I do like an assisted opener. This looks like one heck of a knife in all ways. Also, how is the sharpening with the recurve? Does ZT make one basically the same as an assisted opener?

I really like the Hinderer 0560ZT, but the price is a bit much to swallow right now.

Back