Zt 0500 mudd

hello all,

after reading the thread on these being discontinued, i decided to pick one up. i have had it about a week and here are some of my initial thoughts and impressions:

fit/finish: excellent. to be expected from kershaw and/or zero tolerance.

sharpness: pretty good. the blade is thick for a folder, and the edge looks a little obtuse. its sharp, but it took some work to cut up cardboard boxes.

action: it has three "stages".
1. from the closed position to about 30 degrees, there is some resistance
provided by the locking mechanism.
2. from about 30 degrees to about 120 degrees, the blade swings freely.
3. from 120 degrees to 180 degrees (locked open) it again meets resistance
from the lock.
it is pretty smooth all the way through, but not really a "flickable" folder.

lock: this is what most interested me. the hawks have come up with some pretty innovative stuff, though this is the first ive owned. it is comfortable to disengage, and i find it easy to close one handed after a little practice.

and the two huge thumbdisks make opening easy right or left handed. it is also pretty simple to close either right or left handed.

i am really curious to see how the lock engages, but can't dissasemble because of the pivot design. probably better i dont anyway.

it does lock nicely with a good audible clack, and there is no play in any direction.

i do wonder what the life of the neoprene around the pivot and lock switch is. around the switch, it is normal neoprene and pretty soft. i would think it possible to tear, cut, or otherwise damage this portion.

size: its big. very big. overall length is fine, as you can see in the pics. thickness, however, different story.

.72" on my caliper. almost 3/4 of an inch thick!

6.9 oz on my postal scale, making this the heaviest folder i own.

in contrast:

sebenza: .45" thick, 4.7 oz.
lawman: .50" thick, 4.5 oz.

clip: deep pocket carry type. not my favorite style of clip. i prefer something that allows me to get a better purchase on the handle when removing it from a pocket. its still a good design, and reversible for leftys.

retention could be better, but i think the weight of the knife helps to keep it in your pocket.

use: it is very comfortable, even though it appears blocky. the beveled layering of the g10 overlays and rounding of the aluminum liners feels great.

i carried it at work for a day in my sap pocket, and i dont think i will be using this at work. it made sitting a bit uncomfortable and it tended to shift frequently. also the deep carry clip required more thought in removing it from the sap pocket.

in the back pocket of jeans or shorts, it is fine.

i think its a keeper, i really like the overall design. but the size will limit carry, it reminds me of a strider ar in that respect. great knife, just too big to carry on a regular basis.

P1130885.jpg

P1130886.jpg

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence last year between this and the 0200 and picked up the 0200. It's extremely dusty where I work and it bogs down locking mech's (especially lockbacks) in short order. The sealed pivot looks like it might be just the ticket. Thanks again.

I really enjoy my MUDD and alternate between it and my Spyderco Gayle-Bradley for work. I tied a short lanyard to the knife to assist in removing it from pockets, works great.

IMG00412.jpg

IMG00403.jpg

The only thing I would wish for is better steel.

Andy

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence last year between this and the 0200 and picked up the 0200. It's extremely dusty where I work and it bogs down locking mech's (especially lockbacks) in short order. The sealed pivot looks like it might be just the ticket. Thanks again.

i would think that any gunk that builds up between the scales can simply be rinsed with water with no worry of moisture building or remaining anywhere it may result in corrosion.

haven't tried yet, but when it gets dusty i plan on running it under the faucet.

i would think that any gunk that builds up between the scales can simply be rinsed with water with no worry of moisture building or remaining anywhere it may result in corrosion.

haven't tried yet, but when it gets dusty i plan on running it under the faucet.

I clean my MUDD using warm water, dish soap and a stiff bristled brush. Cleans right up! :thumbup:

Andy

I put a lanyard on my 0500 also, but I put it on the clip, attaching it to the flat part right at the butt. The knife pulls out easily. The lanyard really looks nice: it's a damascus bead by Ariel Salaverria, on his leather strip.

A knife this heavy might be better off in a belt pouch and without the clip. On a busy job, running around, the weight could pull it right out of a pocket.

funny how we have such different perspectives.

i dont like lanyards because in my mind it is something that can snag and pull the knife out of my pocket.

ive never had a knife fall from my pocket; this through foot pursuits, climbing fences, fighting with dusters, getting in and out of the car 100 x a day....

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Neoprene is not such feeble stuff. I have a couple of pouches made of it (by a company called Sea to Summit) that I keep my cellphone and camera in. Its pretty darn sturdy.

i dont think its feeble, but it is definitely soft.

and really, that's all i could find on this model that i had some question about.

its a great design!

eh, way too tacticool for me

would prefer a cold steel recon 1

Ok....

Thanks for that bit of information.

I have one and it is an impressive knife. But as mentioned just a little too bulky so I haven't carried it yet. This is one of the only knives that I have not been able to detect ANY amount of blade play. It has one sturdy pivot.

eh, way too tacticool for me

would prefer a cold steel recon 1

...nah, I won't go there :p

I still regret waiting too long to place an order for one through my work. By the time I did, they were discontinued and we can't get our hands on 'em. I've loved every G&G Hawk design I've gotten my hands on, and the Hawk Lock is quite possibly my favorite folder lock out there.

Here's to getting my hands on one before they disappear completely. Thanks for the review/info!

Great review, Morimotom!

My favorite thing about the ZT0500 MUDD is that it doesn't feel/get/sound gritty after digging in the dirt.

nice review on the mudd,,,regret having too sell mine a few years ago ,,that knife got me outta a tough situation once,,maybe ill purchase another :D

nice review!
it's one of my fav blades of all time, just great

where did you read that it will be discontinued? can't belive they're doing it
do you have a link?
thanks
Maxx

Good review.

You seemed curious about how the lock worked. I don't have a photo of my MUDD, but I do have a shot of the 0650st all taken apart. The slider simply engages pins pressed into the blade.
3177762225_db27a4a4be_o.jpg

The MUDD is pretty easy to take apart (certainly easier than an Axis lock). You don't even need a real spanner. Just put two 1/16" rods or drill bits in the holes and turn.

Phillip

Back