ZT Knives Cutting through Bolts and copper

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
From KnifeDealsPlus

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uuyb_vXut1M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uuyb_vXut1M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnGbQbsW_d0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnGbQbsW_d0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Destruction below.
[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yTwK4els09g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yTwK4els09g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
One question. Why would you do that to a knife??

He was just showing how strong the knives are I believe. :)

It was interesting because he tested one fixed blade and 2 folders. :)

It shows that even a very tough folding knife like the ZT 0301 just can't do what a fixed blade can.

It shows the weakness of folding knives compared to fixed blades, that's something that a lot of people just don't understand. ;)

Last edited:
I am sorry but that is f@#king stooopid. It is not quantitative, un-measureable, non-scientific and proves little if anything other than this guy has more money than brains.

Sorry I just think its a bad waste of some really good knives. I really hate all of this "destruction testing". I think people are looking for there 15 minutes of "fame" hitting cutlery people could put to good use with a sledge hammer. i think most people with an ounce of common sense realize if you hit a knife with a BFH (Big Freaking Hammer) enough times the knife (not the hammer) is going to break. I also have always wondered how many of these so called "testers" have sent the knife back for warranty service after it has "failed" the BFH test. Seems like a pretty crappy way to get a new knife if you ask me.

It would have made for a great video if his finger got caught in that blade when the folder folded on him when he hit with a hammer.

Nice videos.

Reminds me of the bolt-test of Buck.

I wish he had done a bend test to determine angle before snapping, though, instead of the side impact test.

Nice videos.

Reminds me of the bolt-test of Buck.

I wish he had done a bend test to determine angle before snapping, though, instead of the side impact test.

Buck's "bolt test" showed that with light taps a hardened blade could cut through a cheap bolt.

I'm sorry. As much as I love using my knife to cut things, when I'm doing plumbing work a pipe cutter works so much better. :rolleyes:

Buck's "bolt test" showed that with light taps a hardened blade could cut through a cheap bolt.

I'm sorry. As much as I love using my knife to cut things, when I'm doing plumbing work a pipe cutter works so much better. :rolleyes:

Them looked like cheap bolts to me in the video :rolleyes:.

Did not the tester comment on the edges after the cuts? :rolleyes:

Ever hit staples when when cutting cardboard? :rolleyes:

Ever start cutting a "rubber belt" and discover wire reinforcement? :rolleyes:

Ever clean up the end of a pipe with a knife during installation of threaded pipe? :rolleyes:

Good to see those "premium knives" did pretty well considering the more than usual loads. Gosh knows those knives cost a bit.

Last edited:
Them looked like cheap bolts to me in the video :rolleyes:.

They do actually.

Did not the tester comment on the edges after the cuts? :rolleyes:

He might have, I didn't watch all the videos paying special attention to what he said. This isn't testing, it's destruction for the sake of destruction.

Ever hit staples when when cutting cardboard? :rolleyes:

Yes. What does this have to do with anything?

Ever start cutting a "rubber belt" and discover wire reinforcement? :rolleyes:

Yes, again what does this have to do with those videos?

Ever clean up the end of a pipe with a knife during installation of threaded pipe? :rolleyes:

No, that's not what you use a knife for.

Good to see those "premium knives did pretty well considering the more than usual loads. Gosh knows those knives cost a bit.

What are you talking about now? I'm really not sure, you didn't end the quotation.

Clean the end of a pipe with a knife? I'm sorry, I prefer to use this pipe cutter.

ELB401_Tubing_Cutter.gif

Yes I've hit staples, yes I've found wire reinforcements where I didn't expect them. Only thing is my Military chews those up and doesn't take any edge damage. :confused: Maybe I got a dud?

There is no way of telling what those bolts (in the videos) were made of, but I was referring to Buck's "knife through bolt" logo they had for so many years.

The same could be said for SOG's bullet cutting logo. It's advertising, not practicality.

Really, what's the point of cutting bricks and batoning through logs here? Are they trying to make some sort of statement? Is this kind of use covered under warranty? You could argue that these videos, when used in conjunction with the sale of the knife, could be taken as claims that these knives will perform in this manner.

Last edited:
I am sorry but that is f@#king stooopid. It is not quantitative, un-measureable, non-scientific and proves little if anything other than this guy has more money than brains.

It is not this guy who would have more money than brains, it would be kershaw -he says in the video that ZT donated the knives to him -fully understanding that he would break them in destruction tests.

If ZT markets a knife that is supposed to go through steel bolts, it is nice to see if it is true or not. At the knife shows the ZT guys do claim that the knives can do this, even though it is contrary to the ZT warrantee.

Clean the end of a pipe with a knife? I'm sorry, I prefer to use this pipe cutter.

What does a tubing cutter have to do with threaded pipe?

ELB401_Tubing_Cutter.gif

Yes I've hit staples, yes I've found wire reinforcements where I didn't expect them. Only thing is my Military chews those up and doesn't take any edge damage. :confused: Maybe I got a dud?

Where is there some discussion of the Military in this thread?

There is no way of telling what those bolts (in the videos) were made of, but I was referring to Buck's "knife through bolt" logo they had for so many years.

I'm refering to the actual demenstrations Buck did to show the quality of his knives.

The same could be said for SOG's bullet cutting logo. It's advertising, not practicality.

Really, what's the point of cutting bricks and batoning through logs here? Are they trying to make some sort of statement? Is this kind of use covered under warranty? You could argue that these videos, when used in conjunction with the sale of the knife, could be taken as claims that these knives will perform in this manner.

The statement is that the knives can take a lot of abuse, so they should give good service in more moderate, common use.

Thanks for the reminder of the missed "quotation marks, BTW.

It would have made for a great video if his finger got caught in that blade when the folder folded on him when he hit with a hammer.

The blade snapped on that one, you could hear the metal when it snapped and hit the ground.

They are fun tests but I don't ask my sledge hammers to cut and I don't ask my knives to break. The right tool for the job is what it boils down to. If I was in a survival situation I would try to exhaust all my other resources too before I strained a knife to do something it should not.

I just watched the video where the guy carved a 4x4 in half with a RAT Izula and then shaved his arm with it. This was a very good test of the knives abilities.

We need more videos like this.

Then I came across this video.

I watched about 30 seconds of the last ‘test’ to see what it was all about.

Maybe we need a new forum.

StupidPeopleWhoDestroyThingsForums.

Random acts of non-repeatable destruction-proving what?
Followed by a commentary on what just happened…..

You mean to tell me that some of you honestly didn’t know what would happen to those, or any, knives before the final scenes?

If you didn’t, then I feel sorry for you.
If you did, and believe that this is a legitimate test of ‘something’, then I feel even more sorry for you.

A segment of this country is seriously out of touch.
No wonder we’re in this mess.

Back