ZT Knives Cutting through Bolts and copper

First off, there is no way that is an 8 pound sledge. Looks like a 3 pound to me.
Secondly, Let the guy break his knives. He doesn't go around telling you what to do with your stuff does he?

And the guy is at least doing some good advertising for ZT. That ZT fixed blade wasn't even on my radar until now.

First off, there is no way that is an 8 pound sledge. Looks like a 3 pound to me.
Secondly, Let the guy break his knives. He doesn't go around telling you what to do with your stuff does he?

And the guy is at least doing some good advertising for ZT. That ZT fixed blade wasn't even on my radar until now.

It was bigger than 3 lb, maybe not 8, but at least 5 at the least I would say.

That fixed blade looked pretty good. :)

If I find more I will. :D

Thank you for posting. If I ever find myself in a life and death situation in the wilderness, with nothing but my knife, I would feel confident in the ability of my knife to take abuse neccesary for survival.

Here is a clip of a representative for Zero Tolerance at the 2008 shot show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItmW98M9mc

He claims: The model 300 can take a round (bullet) to the blade and survive; he claims the model 121 fixed blade can be used as a pry bar and that it can cut through a steel cable and take it; he also says the ZT knives have an unconditional lifetime warrantee and that no matter how you break the knife they will replace it (even though the warrantee from the ZT catalog says limited).

Since they claim that their knives can take so much abuse, these tests were reasonable.

I think these knives are awesome even if they are a little on the novelty side for my simple uses; they are just cool.

Here is a clip of a representative for Zero Tolerance at the 2008 shot show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItmW98M9mc

He claims: The model 300 can take a round (bullet) to the blade and survive; he claims the model 121 fixed blade can be used as a pry bar and that it can cut through a steel cable and take it; he also says the ZT knives have an unconditional lifetime warrantee and that no matter how you break the knife they will replace it (even though the warrantee from the ZT catalog says limited).

Since they claim that their knives can take so much abuse, these tests were reasonable.

I think these knives are awesome even if they are a little on the novelty side for my simple uses; they are just cool.

He also mentioned high speed steels. Is there a M4/M2 version coming out? From a toughness standpoint I think a 3V/M4 300 would rock. :thumbup:

He said they tried to break the Model 100 in the shop and that he shot it with his Glock in the field so I would guess it's pretty tough. :)

For the record i won't be trying to break my 0301 once it gets here. :D

I just watched the video where the guy carved a 4x4 in half with a RAT Izula and then shaved his arm with it. This was a very good test of the knives abilities.

We need more videos like this.

Then I came across this video.

I watched about 30 seconds of the last ‘test’ to see what it was all about.

Maybe we need a new forum.

StupidPeopleWhoDestroyThingsForums.

Random acts of non-repeatable destruction-proving what?
Followed by a commentary on what just happened…..

You mean to tell me that some of you honestly didn’t know what would happen to those, or any, knives before the final scenes?

If you didn’t, then I feel sorry for you.
If you did, and believe that this is a legitimate test of ‘something’, then I feel even more sorry for you.

A segment of this country is seriously out of touch.
No wonder we’re in this mess.

Haha, yes we sure are in a mess. Now, where can I find more videos like this?

I love seeing what kinds of abuse different knives and other tools can withstand. It allows me to understand what kinds of things I can do to my knives when I'm in the middle of nowhere, need to do some prying or major cutting, and wonder if whichever fancy knife I have at hand can handle the task.

And just how does the ZT video show you that it can handle a survival task? Is there a need to pound your knife into wood and then swing at with a hammer when you are trying to survive? What 'survival' technique does this mimic? What survival scenario includes this type of behavior?
Please tell me. And none of that 'You might have to bust open an abandoned armored car!' Keep it real.

In three dfferent survival classes, I have NEVER seen anyone suggest something like this.
If he would have pryed with one or both knives until they broke, that might actually demonstrate some real world survival situation and the knives ability to bend without breaking, or show how much it took until it did. Smashing something with a sledgehammer until it breaks proves nothing. (Well, it does prove something):yawn:

The RAT Izula video shows a guy whittling a large piece of wood until it is split in two. Then it shows how the edge of the knife is still sharp enough to shave hair.

Hmm, cutting a lot of wood and doing a delicate task later on with the same blade without sharpening it. I think that could be viewed as a legitimate survival scenario, don't you?

And just how does the ZT video show you that it can handle a survival task? Is there a need to pound your knife into wood and then swing at with a hammer when you are trying to survive? What 'survival' technique does this mimic? What survival scenario includes this type of behavior?
Please tell me. And none of that 'You might have to bust open an abandoned armored car!' Keep it real.

In three dfferent survival classes, I have NEVER seen anyone suggest something like this.
If he would have pryed with one or both knives until they broke, that might actually demonstrate some real world survival situation and the knives ability to bend without breaking, or show how much it took until it did. Smashing something with a sledgehammer until it breaks proves nothing. (Well, it does prove something):yawn:

The RAT Izula video shows a guy whittling a large piece of wood until it is split in two. Then it shows how the edge of the knife is still sharp enough to shave hair.

Hmm, cutting a lot of wood and doing a delicate task later on with the same blade without sharpening it. I think that could be viewed as a legitimate survival scenario, don't you?

Don't think that was the point of the above videos, there are 2 more videos he did, one were he split a brick in half with each knife and stabbed them into a car hood and card board then cut the card board after.

Look, the way I see it is this, you would not do that to a knife, but if you were in a really really bad situation one of those knives will stand up to a hell of a lot of abuse, and for me, that was impressive!
If I was choosing between a ZT and another knife, and all things were basically the same then the Zt would be for me based on this video.
Simple.

why is it wrong to see what a knife can survive through? i think tests like this are valid. if a knife can survive a beating like that then u know in your normal tasks it wont ever fail u. if sh!t hits the fan it would hold up.

wtb new destruction sub forum

People who think folding knives do everything are ignorant and it shows. Some baton through bolts and firewood. :eek:

What would happen to another folder? That's like saying take a Civic and a 350 and run both into a wall at 60 mph. Yeah they'll both be totaled, but one will be less totaled then the other. :confused:

A civic and a 350??? Whoa, talk about showing your age. Just which auto manufacturer made the "350"? I wonder why these arguments start......

A civic and a 350??? Whoa, talk about showing your age. Just which auto manufacturer made the "350"? I wonder why these arguments start......

I was in a rush, must have left off the "F-". What a mess. Everyone but you was totally confused.

why is it wrong to see what a knife can survive through? i think tests like this are valid.

Because the tests are not repeatable. There is no way to know, with ANY accuracy or certainty, how much force was behind each blow or what angles were involved, for starters.

It cannot be considered a valid "test" when it cannot even be quantified. Maybe if, say, the knife was held in a certain, known, consistent position(s) by a mechanical device...let's say a vice or similar...and the hammer was dropped from a known distance creating a known/consistent force...and the number of times (including height/angles involved for each) was recorded...and the exact size, make, style, material, etc of the bolts were known and kept consistent...and the sample size was increased...then maybe.

Because the tests are not repeatable. There is no way to know, with ANY accuracy or certainty, how much force was behind each blow or what angles were involved, for starters.

It cannot be considered a valid "test" when it cannot even be quantified. Maybe if, say, the knife was held in a certain, known, consistent position(s) by a mechanical device...let's say a vice or similar...and the hammer was dropped from a known distance creating a known/consistent force...and the number of times (including height/angles involved for each) was recorded...and the exact size, make, style, material, etc of the bolts were known and kept consistent...and the sample size was increased...then maybe.

You are going to carry around all that stuff with you and set it all up every time you use a knife?

While we all agree these videos aren't perfect but you can still see the knives can take a lot of abuse.

Real life use isn't done in a lab, so most lab test like some people want wouldn't really be valid either by real field standards.

The only real way to test the toughness of knives is to beat the heck out of them in the field were things happen just like they do in real life.

You are going to carry around all that stuff with you and set it all up every time you use a knife?

Are you going to carry around a video camera, a mini sledge hammer and a board with bolts attached to it......

Real life use isn't done in a lab, so most lab test like some people want wouldn't really be valid either by real field standards.

The only real way to test the toughness of knives is to beat the heck out of them in the field were things happen just like they do in real life.

The videos in question are not in the field or like in real life. Not by a long shot. That is the main reason people disagree with them, when they do. YOu don't take a mini sledge and pound your knife into a metal bolt.

And, yes, real world use is great, but if you want to call it a test and use different knives and hope to draw conclusions based upon the various results it has got to be controlled and repeatable. Look at how much talk there is about simply being able to hit the damn knife straight on with the sledge. You cannot hope to ever compare one knife to another with problems like this. At which point...why not find a better way?

I'm not gonna lie. The first time I watched this video my eyes bugged out of my head, I cringed, and finally I went "the damn thing didn't break yet!" As you know, a ZT0200 is on my wish list. :)

Are you going to carry around a video camera, a mini sledge hammer and a board with bolts attached to it......

The videos in question are not in the field or like in real life. Not by a long shot. That is the main reason people disagree with them, when they do. YOu don't take a mini sledge and pound your knife into a metal bolt.

And, yes, real world use is great, but if you want to call it a test and use different knives and hope to draw conclusions based upon the various results it has got to be controlled and repeatable. Look at how much talk there is about simply being able to hit the damn knife straight on with the sledge. You cannot hope to ever compare one knife to another with problems like this. At which point...why not find a better way?

I'm not gonna lie. The first time I watched this video my eyes bugged out of my head, I cringed, and finally I went "the damn thing didn't break yet!" As you know, a ZT0200 is on my wish list. :)

Now you know full well if all the test was done in a lab with testing equipment, gauges, and hydraulic stuff people would say that doesn't prove anything about what X knife can do in the field. They would be correct too because lab tests are just that, lab tests.

It would be like WOW man this knife can take 40,000 pounds of pressure and that knife can only take 39,000 pounds....... Not very visual is it?

And what does it mean out in the field chopping down trees, splitting wood, or in the case of folders doing hard field tasks like chopping etc?

Yeah I know he missed more than once and hit the blades off more than a few times etc. I already said something about that before.

It's a neat series of videos, there are like 4 or 5 in the series, but that's all they are really.

And yes the knives did very well IMO being slammed with a slegehammer.

My ZT 0301 will be here tomorrow or Wed. :D :thumbup:

Last edited:
Now you know full well if all the test was done in a lab with testing equipment, gauges, and hydraulic stuff people would say that doesn't prove anything about what X knife can do in the field.

Yeah I know he missed more than once and hit the blades off more than a few times etc. I already said something about that before.

It's a neat series of videos, there are like 4 or 5 in the series, but that's all they are really.

And yes the knives did very well IMO being slammed with a slegehammer.

My ZT 0301 will be here tomorrow or Wed. :D :thumbup:

In a lab? Since when do you have to be in a lab to use a vice and something to hold a hammer at a set height?

Just find a way to hit the knife straight.

If youa re going to hit your knife with a god damn sledge hammer at least it it right

Back