ZT Knives Cutting through Bolts and copper

In a lab? Since when do you have to be in a lab to use a vice and something to hold a hammer at a set height?

Just find a way to hit the knife straight.

If youa re going to hit your knife with a god damn sledge hammer at least it it right

That's why I like Noss's videos, at least he can swing that hammer well. :D

Thanks, I love these tests, they let me see how much a knife can take. I dont belive that lab/theory tests = real life destruction.

Damn,ZT makes some tough stuff!

.... not that ill be cutting bolts w/ my folder :D

Thanks, I love these tests, they let me see how much a knife can take. I dont belive that lab/theory tests = real life destruction.

Damn,ZT makes some tough stuff!

.... not that ill be cutting bolts w/ my folder :D

I won't either. LOL :D

I don't know why people get all bent out of shape over this type of thing. If somebody wants to test to destruction, It's OK with me. Better their knives than mine, but I can still learn from what they do.

Destruction testing is done with many parts and tools, especially if there is a chance they could be used in unusual ways. I don't have any problem with it.

Andy

I haven't even seen the videos yet, but I can tell by the three posts I've skimmed through that this is my kind of thread.
(Pulls out the peanut butter and jam sandwiches)

After seeing the videos, my conclusion is that he should try a Busse next.

Noss already did much worse than that and the Busse's survived it.

Cutting through metal pipe with the FFBM and pieces of steel with the others.

Noss already did much worse than that and the Busse's survived it.

Cutting through metal pipe with the FFBM and pieces of steel with the others.

I thought it was 1" black iron pipe. I could be wrong.

I thought it was 1" black iron pipe. I could be wrong.

[youtube]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Qq5H4FYpT8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Qq5H4FYpT8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The ZT's were taking impressive impacts. Short of locking it in a vise and leaning on it till it pops, that was some extreme test for such light blades.

All the cutting bolts and stuff wouldn't be a problem, it's the side tang impacts where you would see the big difference.

All the cutting bolts and stuff wouldn't be a problem, it's the side tang impacts where you would see the big difference.

Yeah you are right, folders are not fixed blades and I don't think anything could stand what the Busse FFBM did and survive (I could be wrong, but I doubt it). Noss hit it VERY hard like over 20 times (2 handed swings) with that 3 lb hammer and it didn't even take a bend.

Last edited:
Whjat I enjoy more than these vids are the folks who argue over them ! :D

Thanks for posting Ankerson.

Tostig

p.s. I love Kershaw and ZT :) but please stop putting that 'skateboard' tape on the handles , my jeans are wearin thin !! lol :)

The tests like these do have merit because there is a large group of people who have never owned or used a fixed blade in their lives. These people believe that a folding knife can do anything a fixed blade can, they don't know any better because they just don't know the difference.

I see as we all do puny, weak little folding knives getting recommended for things that they just aren't built for. We all see this mulitple times a day. :rolleyes:

Hard Use folder etc means what?

There are some that are really over built folding knives like the above ZT 0200 and 0301. Others like Strider, Extreme Ratio, Some CS knives are really TOUGH folding knives. BUT they are not FIXED BLADES and they will break or the locks will fail.

The tests like these are a lesson in reality. :)

Then when there X brand knife is broken or etc they come back and say knives are ment to cut and slice...... Well then don't recommend knife X for anything other than that. ;)

well maybe instead of these idiotic tests , a bit of common sense education could be used, ie: "so you bought your first folder. A folder knife is designed for cutting paper, fabric, wood, food etc. It is not designed to be pounded thru car doors, beaten with a hammer thru a bolt, cleaning out pipe edges etc."

etc etc etc etc.

Back