ZT Knives Cutting through Bolts and copper

Common sense has gone out the window for a lot of folks these days. Me? I don't treat my knives like they're pieces of Pelosi because I (a) don't want to and (b) don't have the $ to replace them. I take these videos with a grain of salt, it at all. Another thing to remember is ... you can always get a lemon. How one knife performs isn't always indicative of how every manufactured brother of it will perform, though these days with automation you can get a very low percentage of "fails" off the line.

Interesting videos. After watching the first two videos, I asked without considering the brand name, if there was a question that the demos attempted to answer, what would it be, sorta. Well, to me it seem like the question was "can a certain steel formed in a certain way, be used roughly as a chisel and wedge.?"

The answer appears to be "yes". S30V looks like it can be used where you might even use tool steel. From my shallow understanding of tool steel and S30V, both have high carbon content. Very tough stuff.

But here would be an interesting demo. Take a good slab of 440C (420 or other mid-lower end knife steel), form it like the ZT blade and try the same tasks. Brand doesn't matter, just a steel test.

My uneducated guess is that for the bolts, 440C would do just fine. A quick search indicates that bolts are made from very soft steel, low in carbon. ("Mild steel contains under 0.3% carbon. It is the softest, cheapest and therefore the most common type of steel. It's used for things like nuts and bolts, ships and car bodies").

For wood, also just fine. Check out the demo videos of the Pocket Bushma at Cold Steel site. Bricks--don't know, but don't see why not.

I would also guess, that if you repeated the tests a good number of times, the high carbon ZT steel would last longer.

(Also, is slicing through cardboard a good test of edge? Gonna try this, but gonna take my dullest kitchen knife and try to slice through cardboard to test out my thesis--the thin geometry of the slicing material is what is doing the "slicing"; so any thin metal slab/sheet with some edge could do it.)

Great tests! They show actually that very expensive knives are only knives and nothing else. Glock 78, 81 can do same for much lower price. I intend to buy zt 0100 just because i like this knife, but in " real world " Glock is my no.1 choice ( than Cold Steel Kukhri machette, if needed, and Victorinox folders ).

Great tests! They show actually that very expensive knives are only knives and nothing else. Glock 78, 81 can do same for much lower price. I intend to buy zt 0100 just because i like this knife, but in " real world " Glock is my no.1 choice ( than Cold Steel Kukhri machette, if needed, and Victorinox folders ).

They can be EDC'd in my pants pocket? How would I do that? :confused:

They can be EDC'd in my pants pocket? How would I do that? :confused:

Just do what this dude on Youtube did with his 0100. Now he has great EDC fixed blade. There is no such a thing as " EDC ". If you are on some duty you have needed equipment, when you off duty you don't need anymore. Why would You carry knife all time with you?

Last edited:
Just do what this dude on Youtube did with his 0100. Now he has great EDC fixed blade. There is no such a thing as " EDC ". If you are on some duty you have needed equipment, when you off duty you don't need anymore. Why would You carry knife all time with you?

You never know when you will need XYZ tool, so I carry some around with me.

And, yes, there is such a thing as "EDC". I carry certain items every day, whenever I leave home, which is exactly what "EDC" implies.

Come to think of it I don't carry a knife with me all the time. Technically I carry two, sometimes three. I've even carried four at once, just becuase I can and I choose to.

One thing about ZT 0100! It crack easier because it's from powdered steel ( high hardness - low toughness ). That is no problem if you are normal. I want this knife but man destroys one without no reason. Better if he gave it to me. If someone wants to do same thing, please send knife to me. My heart is broken!

There is no such a thing as " EDC ".
Say that three times whilst clicking your heels.:rolleyes:
Why would You carry knife all time with you?
Because you can? Because you may need one at any given time? Because teeth do a lousy job of cutting things open? Because.........Do I really need to continue? This is BladeForums we're posting on, right?:rolleyes:

One thing about ZT 0100! It crack easier because it's from powdered steel ( high hardness - low toughness ). That is no problem if you are normal. I want this knife but man destroys one without no reason. Better if he gave it to me. If someone wants to do same thing, please send knife to me. My heart is broken!

The ZT0100 is made of CPM3V toold steel which is extremely tough. here's an excerpt fro Joe Talmadge's Steel FAQ:

CPM 3V
CPM's incredibly tough 3V gives excellent wear resistance and good
stain resistance as well, although when it does stain, it is said to
pit rather than surface rust. When maximum toughness is desired, with
very good wear resistance, 3V is a great choice.

As far as the videos and "testing" goes, I feel it does demonstrate the toughness of all 3 knives. The fact the ZT0300 chipped and ZT0200 broke completely was due to not hitting with the hammer squarely.

As to the the legitimacy for the "test", it is impossible to compare various knives because the "test" does not use a repeatable methodology. You would need a machine to hold and strike the blades at the same angle and force as well as other criteria. It doesn't suggest real-world testing also because who in their right mind would use a knife in that way.

Like someone said before, I take these "tests" with a grain (or handful) of salt when I view them. I much prefer the test done by Cliff Stamp at Cutlery Science which is more real-world.

Note: everything above is just my $.02.

First, this " tests " doesn't proof nothing ( I'm still crying when I see this video ). This man must go to jail! Destroying such great knife IS crime. Second, I think that Glock 81, 78, Fallkniven, Cold Steel SRK will survive this maniac, maybe RAT 7 too. 1095 steel is tough steel and this is his "ground ". Ka bar has narrow thorn but I try them too. None of " powdered " steel knives can't survive this torture.

ATS - 34ever!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It does! That you never really saw real test in life. First, you must have same model design, same steel and same tester (all together ). Second, if you want to test various blade steels you need again knives with same design and same hardness. Third, even if you have all of this you can't compare 1095 and CPM 3V steel because they aren't in same category. If you compare CPM 3V and S 30V, you don't get nothing. Why? Because they don't have same structure.
Conclusion is that you don't have to test knives at all! There is no such a thing in real life as " best steel ", " premium steel ", " toughest steel in the world ", only tool steel, cutting steel, construction steel, surgical steel etc.

My personal opinion is that all cutting steels ( steels for knives ) are great ( with specific defferences betwen them because of different purposes: diving, kithchen, hunting... ). You can't choose " survival " knife. Any knife of any type can be survival tool in specific situation. So, I ask my question when I was registered myself on this site: " Why we talk about knives in 21 century? "
What is next? Wheel? Fire?

It does! That you never really saw real test in life. First, you must have same model design, same steel and same tester (all together ). Second, if you want to test various blade steels you need again knives with same design and same hardness. Third, even if you have all of this you can't compare 1095 and CPM 3V steel because they aren't in same category. If you compare CPM 3V and S 30V, you don't get nothing. Why? Because they don't have same structure.
Conclusion is that you don't have to test knives at all! There is no such a thing in real life as " best steel ", " premium steel ", " toughest steel in the world ", only tool steel, cutting steel, construction steel, surgical steel etc.

My personal opinion is that all cutting steels ( steels for knives ) are great ( with specific defferences betwen them because of different purposes: diving, kithchen, hunting... ). You can't choose " survival " knife. Any knife of any type can be survival tool in specific situation. So, I ask my question when I was registered myself on this site: " Why we talk about knives in 21 century? "
What is next? Wheel? Fire?

First: So when did you start liking 1095?
Second: You still don't know what your talking about.

Let me ask you something, would you buy knife after some real life video where is clearly shown how expensive knife cracks like glass?
Chris Reeve knives are much weaker and they are made of powdered steel too. Best knife for money now and then is Glock 78, 81 and that's fact. Cold Steel True Flight trower you can break so easy and its much cheaper.

The ZT videos are entertaining and there is not one guy on this board that wouldn't do the same if it did not cost them a dime. I would LOVE to abuse any of my equipment to the point of failure, just to see for my self. I don't do this because I can't afford to destroy my gear.

Back