“Clean Underwear” Knives (Traditional Only).

Many of us probably remember being told as kids to always wear clean underwear when leaving the house, in case you get in an accident (presumably to avoid the humiliation of having the emergency medical workers discover you were wearing dirty underpants).

Applying this same principle to knives, which ones would you prefer the paramedics to find on you, and why?

Forgive me if this has actually happened to anyone. Pictures welcome.

I don't know about paramedics, but last week at PT when I laid on the table my stockman fell out of my pocket. It was a nice stainless one, so no gasps at "dirty" steel or anything. Whenever I might need to use a knife in public I try to carry stainless for that reason.

None. If I’m dead I don’t give a sh.. but my brother who is an ER doc and trains paramedics for the Crook County FD makes sure they all have their own knives.
For this lighthearted exercise I was imagining only non-fatal incidents…

I’m not sure how my EDC would be perceived, but I can guarantee my underwear WILL be clean.
5fxw2RX.jpg

I'd be proud to be seen with any of my knives. I once went to the Columbia Mall as a poor young kid with no underwear and torn ripped pants. There was a group of Grunge girls giggling at me and I didn't know why. Until I looked down and saw my **** poking out of my jeans in the food court 🤣

Three years ago when I had my ambulance ride, the medic did Not check my under wear and I left all my knives in my truck.
I thought about bringing a SAK, but didn't .

I think I would be taking a less expensive one in case it got lost or taken along the way.

Not real concerned about people checking my drawers if I'm hurt that bad.......
Did have to stop an emt from cutting my shorts off of me once as I was not interested in being buck naked on the street. I wasn't hurt that bad.....

Haha I remember that when it was new. Does that make me old?:oops:🤣
Yes! I heard it on the radio in St. Louis in the early 80s. I’ve got the LP. My other two favorites from the album are, “She’s got a big boy friend” and “I want to be a life guard” 😀

None. If I’m dead I don’t give a sh.. but my brother who is an ER doc and trains paramedics for the Crook County FD makes sure they all have their own knives.
In my experience a Smith n Wesson 1st Responder in cordura pouch tucked inside the undies...that way (assuming the injury is located in the groinal region) when they cut the undies open they will immediately ascertain your status as professional EMT or First Responder and rightfully upgrade you to the front of the queue and a room with a view and a premier class menu with a selection of spunky nurses to 'tend the wound'.
I'd be proud to be seen with any of my knives. I once went to the Columbia Mall as a poor young kid with no underwear and torn ripped pants. There was a group of Grunge girls giggling at me and I didn't know why. Until I looked down and saw my **** poking out of my jeans in the food court 🤣
Sounds like a case of 'on purpose floppage' to me. It's what I would have done.👍✌️

Last edited:
I don't know about paramedics, but last week at PT when I laid on the table my stockman fell out of my pocket. It was a nice stainless one, so no gasps at "dirty" steel or anything. Whenever I might need to use a knife in public I try to carry stainless for that reason.
That's interesting. I carry carbon in such cases so the flashing won't draw the eye and scare people..
I think I would be taking a less expensive one in case it got lost or taken along the way.

Not real concerned about people checking my drawers if I'm hurt that bad.......
Did have to stop an emt from cutting my shorts off of me once as I was not interested in being buck naked on the street. I wasn't hurt that bad.....
That's what I do when I go to any kind of "no weapons allowed" place. Also, at my hospital, for my own protection, "Aggression will not be tolerated." Followed by the always useful non-exhaustive list, of behaviors that can constitute aggression.

As Bill Cosby said of clean underwear in case you get hit by a truck, "If I look up and see that truck, my underwear is going to be dirty."
That probably goes for being hit without seeing it coming, too.

Looks like I trashed the wrong pic, but you get the idea:
Vxe3FJA.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know. What’s the knife version of American Eagle boxers?

Back