“Clean Underwear” Knives (Traditional Only).

Probably something USA made.

Many of us probably remember being told as kids to always wear clean underwear when leaving the house, in case you get in an accident (presumably to avoid the humiliation of having the emergency medical workers discover you were wearing dirty underpants).

Applying this same principle to knives, which ones would you prefer the paramedics to find on you, and why?
Also, are you sh#tting us?

Through my own experiences in related areas and those of close family and friends that are medics, I can tell you they've seen much worse than some skid marks. A full load would certainly raise an eyebrow though. 🤣😂

Knives probably wouldn't even be considered, but today they would find the same knives as yesterday in my pocket.

20230912_082800~2.jpg

Put some I.D. in your pocket. Maybe some emergency contacts along with important allergy or medical information. That would be something they would like to find.

If I choose to carry a knife it’s nice enough that if I’m seen with it in public, it won’t be an embarrassment. Today that choice is last year’s forum “Bunny knife.” It won’t get many oohs and ahhs, but it’ll cut packages open with the best of them. Yesterday that choice was a Pony Jack #68, for the same reason (but I noticed it was a bit dull so grabbed something sharper today.)

1785CAEA-CDD5-49B7-966B-4C699C998BDB.jpeg

Anything small, friendly, and innocuous.

I actually did end up in the ER once and had to remove everything from my pockets with a bunch of nurses and doctors and people around and I was super glad the knife I had on me was my little GEC Beagle instead of like a ZT 0561 or a Large Sebenza or a PM2 or something. No one even batted an eye about me having a knife.

While on the other hand, the hem of my jacket once pulled my ZT 0561 out of my pocket while grabbing my wallet to show my ID to a bar doorman and when that thing hit the ground everyone around me backed up and reacted as if I had just dropped a bomb.

That's actually one of the many reasons I've mostly stopped carrying large knives for "edc" and reserve those just as work knives. Small, friendly, "regular" knives go completely unnoticed in just about any social situation but big knives and tactical looking knives almost always instantly get a reaction from people.

I'd be more afraid they'll take it from me while I'm out and nekkid, lol 🤣

With that said, can't go wrong with a lambsfoot...

WPEpjzK.jpg

I don't think I'd care. I don't think they would either.

I've found that most people, healthcare professionals included, are so completely and entirely consumed with themselves and their electronics that they hardly ever notice what anyone else is doing, saying, or carrying.

I was in a crowded room the other day and every single person was either staring at their phone or taking a picture of themselves - men, women, children - everyone.

Had I been so inclined, I believe I could've walked up to the hors d'oeuvres table, used a Scottish broadsword to serve myself some cheese and olives, and nobody would have been the wiser -- unless later, someone who actually bothers to look at other people's pictures online pointed it out to them.

I think the best that anyone could hope for is that if your underwear are extremely soiled and your knife is really, really out there - you may earn a anonymous mention on a random's social media account of choice.

Yay. 😭

P.S. - I understand the previously valid concern of potentially scaring passerby with the mere possession of a knife, but I think in 2023 it's a moot point. As previously stated, most people simply don't notice anything that's going on around them.

Even something as noticeable as the knife below, I don't believe anyone would notice. The upshot of carrying this one would be that if anyone did notice - and complained - I could simply tell them they should spend more time in church. 🤣

Lol...I wonder what the knife nut analogy to the clean underwear admonition would be. Perhaps always make sure you leave the house with a sharp knife? You wouldn't want to meet a fellow knife nut and have him see you with dull blade.
This is my single greatest fear 🤣
Anytime I have a knife on me that's even remotely dull and someone borrows it, I immediately offer excuses "sorry it's a little dull I need to sharpen it"

which is followed by them handing it back afterwards saying "wow this is sharper than my knife" 🙄
Anything small, friendly, and innocuous.

I actually did end up in the ER once and had to remove everything from my pockets with a bunch of nurses and doctors and people around and I was super glad the knife I had on me was my little GEC Beagle instead of like a ZT 0561 or a Large Sebenza or a PM2 or something. No one even batted an eye about me having a knife.

While on the other hand, the hem of my jacket once pulled my ZT 0561 out of my pocket while grabbing my wallet to show my ID to a bar doorman and when that thing hit the ground everyone around me backed up and reacted as if I had just dropped a bomb.

That's actually one of the many reasons I've mostly stopped carrying large knives for "edc" and reserve those just as work knives. Small, friendly, "regular" knives go completely unnoticed in just about any social situation but big knives and tactical looking knives almost always instantly get a reaction from people.
It's interesting how different places have different mentalities. I've lived in a few places where people would glare at you for having a knife, and other places where even in a nice Cafe you see men walking around with knife pouches on their belts.

The weirdest one was in rural Washington, I almost never saw anyone with a knife, and always felt awkward pulling mine out. Monterrey california, was surprisingly knife friendly, I guess all the military in the area desensitizes people to it.

This is my single greatest fear 🤣
Anytime I have a knife on me that's even remotely dull and someone borrows it, I immediately offer excuses "sorry it's a little dull I need to sharpen it"

which is followed by them handing it back afterwards saying "wow this is sharper than my knife" 🙄

It's interesting how different places have different mentalities. I've lived in a few places where people would glare at you for having a knife, and other places where even in a nice Cafe you see men walking around with knife pouches on their belts.

The weirdest one was in rural Washington, I almost never saw anyone with a knife, and always felt awkward pulling mine out. Monterrey california, was surprisingly knife friendly, I guess all the military in the area desensitizes people to it.

Oh yeah it definitely seems to vary depending on location. But I certainly find that the smaller the knife is, the more universally accepted it is. There are even some parts in the Ozarks or out in rural WV or KY that people don't even seem to notice if you've got a fixed blade on your hip.

I believe the original premise on the clean underwear thing was that your MOTHER did not want to be judged poorly based on allowing her child to be found with dirty underwear. Had nothing to do with the child's reputation.

To the actual topic - carrying a pocket knife that would not be embarrassing or bring any kind of social disapproval upon you if discovered by others - a Victorinox silver alox Cadet. Looks classy, non-threatening, very much a gentleman's pocket knife. Not terribly rare or expensive, meaning it is less likely to go missing, and if so, not heartbreaking to replace.

Which, coincidentally, is what they would find in my pocket since I carry one every time I go out, either as my only pocket knife, or in addition to anything else I might otherwise be carrying

I believe the original premise on the clean underwear thing was that your MOTHER did not want to be judged poorly based on allowing her child to be found with dirty underwear. Had nothing to do with the child's reputation.
This makes a lot of sense.

Children (of all ages) have a pretty poor reputation as far as I'm concerned and there's nothing anyone's cutlery (or undergarments) can do to change it. 🤣

Mark Twain wrote:

"When a child turns 12, he should be kept in a barrel and fed through the bung hole, until he reaches 16…at which time you plug the bung hole."

That may have been fine in his day, but I'm really thinking that both ages should now be considerably lower. 🤣

Wait! You wear underwear? You're not a real Scotsman then are you? 😂 Sorry. I just had a trip to Scotland and, no, I didn't check to verify anyone. Trust was enough for me.

As for the knife they find on me, must it be only the one? lol I usually have several and they rotate. But, what I would expect them to find, whichever one they spot, it should be sharp, well cared for, and hopefully well used.

Cheapest gas station knife, in case any of them have sticky fingers.
Brings a whole new meaning to the 'in case of emergency' knife. I'm not sure I could stand having one of those as an EDC. You would have to carry it all of the time just in case. Eww! I think I would rather they steal my CRK. 😂

Cheapest gas station knife, in case any of them have sticky fingers.
A friend of mine swears up and down that the paramedics stole his skateboarding shoes after receiving a compound fracture to his arm after missing the landing on a ten-stair rail. 🛹😭

My question is: Who would steal a nasty old pair of torn-up skateboarding shoes? He says they weren't that old, but still - it sounds more like a fetishist than one of those weird sneaker flippers.

A knife though, I suppose I could understand - wouldn't want it to wind up alone and forgotten if the patient didn't pull through... 🤣

It seems every time I randomly meet a new person who happens to have an interest in knives that I am carrying one of my early attempts at making a knife, and I am kind of embarrassed to show it to them.

I regret starting this now. I was thinking it would be understood as “what knives wouldn’t bring shame or embarrassment on you if you were unexpectedly caught carrying them“, not literally what to do in an emergency, or what knife would you not care to lose. Things along these lines:
Lol...I wonder what the knife nut analogy to the clean underwear admonition would be. Perhaps always make sure you leave the house with a sharp knife? You wouldn't want to meet a fellow knife nut and have him see you with dull blade.

I hate to say if but if I do walk out of the house with a dullish knife I stay embarrassed about it until I can switch or sharpen.

View attachment 2319919
I figure if they see this knife they'll have some questions and it'll be an opportunity to talk about knives.
They'll probably wonder about the jigged bone, and about why the blades are discolored.

To the actual topic - carrying a pocket knife that would not be embarrassing or bring any kind of social disapproval upon you if discovered by others - a Victorinox silver alox Cadet. Looks classy, non-threatening, very much a gentleman's pocket knife. Not terribly rare or expensive, meaning it is less likely to go missing, and if so, not heartbreaking to replace.

Which, coincidentally, is what they would find in my pocket since I carry one every time I go out, either as my only pocket knife, or in addition to anything else I might otherwise be carrying

I was thinking it would be understood as “what knives wouldn’t bring shame or embarrassment on you if you were unexpectedly caught carrying them“
I don't own any knives I'd be embarrassed to get caught with, why would I own / keep a knife I'm ashamed of ?

The only thing I can think of that might embarrass me would be a dull knife, but I don't have any that aren't at least just barely sharp enough to get the job done.

Back