1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  4. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

“I’ll take it” doesn’t mean what it used to

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by uhmeebuh, May 27, 2019.

1. uhmeebuh

uhmeebuh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I recently sold a knife and had a member here (with good feedback) say they would take it...then had a full inbox and didn’t respond to profile posts. Two days go by with no response. I thought “I’ll take it” was your word and bond...I guess it’s not anymore.

Shit happens on all our lives that can impact a purchase. My goal isn’t to call anyone out but to see if tracking this sort of thing is worth the effort. I would want to avoid chronic abusers...

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Yeah this can be bad. It's still better than the Facebook crowd. I cant count the amount of times I've had someone ask a million questions, say they're down and that they'll get back to me tomorrow, only to never respond again.

Cant stand other sites besides this place.

3. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    It happens but I don't get too upset about it. Stuff happens, people get cold feet. It's not a big deal in my opinion - the transaction never took place and it's just a minor inconvenience having to relist the knife.

Liberty43 likes this.
  4. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    It's unfortunate behavior, especially when others are also interested in the sale. They end up losing interest (or start chasing a squirrel or something) by the time the tire-kicker decides to ghost you.

5. gotgoat

gotgoat Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2016
    when I see someone say "I'll take it" I'll move on and sometimes see later that they changed their mind. I'm not interested as much then.

6. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    It also affects other buyers. I lost out on a knife on the Exchange because someone said they would take it and then ghosted the seller. I would have taken it and did claim seconds. The seller moved on to me, but because it was late, I was asleep by this time. Someone else ended up with it. The original person could have at least said never mind, or I can't pay until tomorrow, etc...

on_the_edge likes this.
  7. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    The Facebook crowd is just the worst.

specgrade likes this.
  8. Heirphoto

Heirphoto

Jun 13, 2007
    I have gad a few like that. I know my notifications from BF are not always working. Is it possible they don't know their inbix box is full and since you were unable to reply think that they missed the knife?

9. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    In my experience, this crowd is an exception than a norm on this forum. Yes, it does impact other buyers' who may move on... but being a hobby I am not too much worried, someone else will buy it eventually. There are two sides to every story, and I typically just ignore such behavior.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  10. CataD

CataD Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 2, 2013
    It's easy to find out who that 'not buyer' was. It is highly improbable that what you wrote happened. He was on Bladeforums in the last few days (last time, 30 min ago) and he would've seen the notifications as he was quoted in the sale thread and for the message on his profile page. So at least two notifications that he most likely saw.

Not sure why he decided to act this way, but I'll remember this.. So, OP, thank you for the thread!

Heirphoto likes this.
  11. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I've also missed out on some sales because I saw an "I'll take it" post.

I'll post seconds and even thirds from now on.

gotgoat and jkwithawave like this.
  12. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    The transaction took place (everywhere but here) but the buyer failed to perform his part of the deal (everywhere but here) and his word is presumptively no good - everywhere. I don't get too upset about people whose word is no good. After all, mainly politicians run for office and rule the country. As a class, they are disingenuous at best ("Read my lips. No new taxes" " "You get to keep your insurance.") I get just upset enough to hopefully remember never to deal with them ever again. Contact me and tell me something came up that has a higher calling on your $$$, and I will likely forgive as I hope for forgiveness. I will probably never advise you to ignore being welshed on. VMMV - obviously.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    CataD, Heirphoto and Lance Leon like this.
  13. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Misuse of the I'll take it is a pet peeve of mine, be it disappearing or not really decided they want it yet.
    as for disappearing-if you changed your mind or for some reason can't pay, just man up and tell me. Things happen, but and it saves me time and aggravation. Tell me and I will move on, no big problem. I can't force you to pay(nor would I want to).
    The second: I'll take it when you really haven't decided does irk me. To me this is just trying to grab the 1st position in line without being willing to follow through. As soon as I see this happening I end talks. Not that it couldn't be worked out, but the deal already has one strike against it and I am not looking to see what else could go wrong.
    Neither deserve naming names in a GBU thread, but play in my decision making as to whom I care to deal with. A lot of the things that bother other people don't really bother me, but this one does-pet peeve

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  14. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    There is also a special breed out there that implies they will take it, contingent on getting a "few more photos" or a "few answers to some questions".....this drags on a day until they come up with an overly elaborate excuse as to why they can't pay for it, but "thank you so much for being a great seller and humoring me" :rolleyes: Is this sociopathy, narcissism, spectrum disorder, etc???

15. stonesell

stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Many of us that have had to use our word as a survival tool in life, still take pride that others can trust us, and we carry that tradition into all aspects of our dealings.
    Other that have never needed to form a close bond of trust based on their word alone, do not take it seriously. They aren’t necessarily bad people, they are just used to having easy breaks in life, that were never dependent on having complete trust in others, for mutual survival.

16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I think I understand what the OP is saying ...

I have seen several "I'll take it's" posted and moved on to find a post the next day "withdrawn" or the seller postings "this one is still available" ...

I don't know the reasoning or cause for the posts and although it can frustrate me if I was truely interested but missed out because I thought it was sold ...

best thing you can do is post "seconds" ... or if this sale doesn't go through I'll take it ... or PM the seller and let them know you're interested.

Now I once backed out of buying a knife with the seller telling me after I posted "I'll take it" ... that there was someone before me he was waiting to hear back from ... so I waited and several hours later saw another of the same knife listed so I first notified the first seller that if his was available I would buy it ... he was still trying to give the first buyer more time so I told him sadly I would withdraw my offer and I bought the second knife ...

it turned out within 30 minutes or less the first knife's seller posted it was still available ... so sadly he missed out on a sale waiting on a biyer claiming his knife then no contact or payment for a day ... and had to amend it to "still available" ... and wait awhile before it sold ...

he did nothing wrong ... in fact he waited far longer then I would have and gave the first buyer more than a fair chance to send payment or back out or contact of some kind ...

it was then that I make sure to add to my sale thread ... "followed up with prompt contact and payment" ... if a buyer contacts me and I know them or I have seen their interactions often enough I may extend them time if the ask but if they can't even contact me I move on ...

jkwithawave likes this.
  17. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Well said, and so true.

18. Gastonknife

Gastonknife

Dec 15, 2008
    Good one ……….. those people irk me too :thumbsdown:

19. Bluearcflash

Bluearcflash

Feb 10, 2014
    I'll move on after a couple of hours with no reply unless it's late, then I'll give it a few hours in the morning. I figure that anyone truly interested will reply timely. If a potential buyer asks for pics or more info then it's still for sale until I get a solid claim.

joeradza likes this.
  20. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I had someone recently do the 'I'll take it' and then it was crickets, even after a couple of follow ups. I just wish they'd respond that their no longer interested. I dont sweat that too much though. Just move on to the next request.

That's a bummer. If I have a interested potential buyer who's a member in high standing, such as you, I'd wait overnight for your response. I always appreciate it when others do that for me!

Things work better when we all try to stick to the Golden Rule.

jkwithawave and Vaporstang like this.