$100 Spyderco recommendation please

Hello good people of BF,

I would love to purchase a folder that is near $100. However, my lack of knife knowledge and funds prevents me from making a haste decision. I want to find something that fits all the criteria, not just almost fitting. The members of BF has much more knowledge than I, and I learn quite a lot here and would very much appreciate your input.

This would be for my edc, in my front right pocket, which holds nothing but one knife. I would also jog/hike with it.

- Must be full flat grind

- NO lockbacks, serrated blades, autos, assisted or flippers

- Lightweight, under 3.5 oz

- I like how Ontario RAT1 and Steel Will Cutjack handles feel. It seems they fill my hand and feels secure and ergonomic.

- I absolutely hate Ontario RAT2. It feels like a toy and I would sell if if I know how. I think Para 3 is similar in size, I am unsure.

- Easy to disassemble and clean.. IKBS is a pain to clean.

- Also hated CRKT Crossbones. Feels very small. Would love to get rid of it.

- I love everything about Byrd Cara Cara 2 except the lockback and action. This lead me to want a flat grind.

- Blade steel should not patina, rust or change easily. I would take 8cr13mov over D2.

- No lockbacks

thank you all and god bless!

No lockbacks? You probably just disqualified one of the best Spydercos in that price range, the Delica 4. Its an outstanding knife and comes in a few blade types, full flat spearpoint, full flat wharncliffe, and hollow ground, and serrated, lots of colors, etc (more).

If you like the idea of the compression lock which is great btw, the Para3 lightweight with satin or black blade is right at your price point, comes in BD1N steel, FRN handles, full flat grind, wire clip (lynch just came out with a non wire clip option). Its a great knife.

Then if you go down to the say, $50 mark, you get the Tenacious lightweight or regular is a great knife too. Comes in CR13MOV steel, FRN or G10 handles, liner lock, full flat grind in satin or black blades in plain or serrated edges.

The dragonfly II is a nice blade too. Its a little smaller but my big hands can get a full grip using the choil...comfortably. its a look back though. Full flat grind, wire clip, frn handles.

There are others, but these are my recommendations in that price range, and in several price ranges actually.
The Delica 4 is one of my favorite modern folders period. I am currently carrying a Tenacious lightweight with black blade and love it too. There isn't a bad choice from the list above.

Going by your request, I'd go with this in order:
Para3 lightweight
Tenacious lightweight
Delica 4
Dragonfly II
In that order. If you would reconsider lock back, the Delica 4 moves into the first position (basically my list above). Nothing wrong with a lockback, but whatever.

Surely you don't plan on stopping at one, and will eventually get a few different ones to try. At least eventually?

No Spydercos are "easy to dissasemble" without risk of messing up parts that are irreplaceable. With the right tools, some experience, and a little risk it can be done. It isn't necessary. You can clean/maintain with a little oil, q tip with most of swab removed, and maybe a can of air. You can get by with just oil perfectly fine.

Last edited:
The Para 3 lightweight ticks all the boxes. The handle length is just slightly longer than the Ontario Rat 2, but in hand feel is totally different, because of the choiled design & the ergonomics. I would say in hand feel is more like the Rat 1.
by any chance do you own both Manix 2 lightweight and Para 3 lightweight? If so, why do you prefer Para over Manix? Thanks!

No lockbacks? You probably just disqualified one of the best Spydercos in that price range, the Delica 4. Its an outstanding knife and comes in a few blade types, full flat spearpoint, full flat wharncliffe, and hollow ground, and serrated, lots of colors, etc (more).

If you like the idea of the compression lock which is great btw, the Para3 lightweight with satin or black blade is right at your price point, comes in BD1N steel, FRN handles, full flat grind, wire clip (lynch just came out with a non wire clip option). Its a great knife.

Then if you go down to the say, $50 mark, you get the Tenacious lightweight or regular is a great knife too. Comes in CR13MOV steel, FRN or G10 handles, liner lock, full flat grind in satin or black blades in plain or serrated edges.

The dragonfly II is a nice blade too. Its a little smaller but my big hands can get a full grip using the choil...comfortably. its a look back though. Full flat grind, wire clip, frn handles.

There are others, but these are my recommendations in that price range, and in several price ranges actually.
The Delica 4 is one of my favorite modern folders period. I am currently carrying a Tenacious lightweight with black blade and love it too. There isn't a bad choice from the list above.

Para3 lightweight
Tenacious lightweight
Delica 4
Dragonfly II
In that order. If you would reconsider lock back, the Delica 4 moves into the first position (basically my list above). Nothing wrong with a lockback, but whatever.

Surely you don't plan on stopping at one, and will eventually get a few different ones to try. At least eventually?

No Spydercos are "easy to dissasemble" without risk of messing up parts that are irreplaceable. With the right tools, some experience, and a little risk it can be done. It isn't necessary. You can clean/maintain with a little oil, q tip with most of swab removed, and maybe a can of air. You can get by with just oil perfectly fine.

i have handled Delica and I actually did not like it at all. i cant pin point why. It just felt very small. Im not looking for a lockback, but even if I was, Delica would be a regret. Im not sure if my hand or grip is weird.

Save a tad more money and get a standar Military. Full flat ground, liner lock, open back design, S30V is a nice stainless steel. If you search on the Exchange you may find one within your budget.

Mikel

Hello good people of BF,

I would love to purchase a folder that is near $100. However, my lack of knife knowledge and funds prevents me from making a haste decision. I want to find something that fits all the criteria, not just almost fitting. The members of BF has much more knowledge than I, and I learn quite a lot here and would very much appreciate your input.

This would be for my edc, in my front right pocket, which holds nothing but one knife. I would also jog/hike with it.

- Must be full flat grind

- NO lockbacks, serrated blades, autos, assisted or flippers

- Lightweight, under 3.5 oz

- I like how Ontario RAT1 and Steel Will Cutjack handles feel. It seems they fill my hand and feels secure and ergonomic.

- I absolutely hate Ontario RAT2. It feels like a toy and I would sell if if I know how. I think Para 3 is similar in size, I am unsure.

- Easy to disassemble and clean.. IKBS is a pain to clean.

- Also hated CRKT Crossbones. Feels very small. Would love to get rid of it.

- I love everything about Byrd Cara Cara 2 except the lockback and action. This lead me to want a flat grind.

- Blade steel should not patina, rust or change easily. I would take 8cr13mov over D2.

- No lockbacks

thank you all and god bless!

No lockbacks? You just eliminated the strongest lock and the one that will not come open on you while jogging. Liner locks and frame locks can come open, though Spyderco is the best in the market on these.

So...I would suggest a Manix 2 light weight. It has a caged ball bearing lock that works like an axis lock in use. It is strong and has a bias to stay closed (you want this bias, believe me). Also, this is my favorite mid sized knife and I have a lot of knives. The price just jumped to a $1 more than your budget so I assume you can come up with a dollar.

No lockbacks? You just eliminated the strongest lock and the one that will not come open on you while jogging. Liner locks and frame locks can come open, though Spyderco is the best in the market on these.

So...I would suggest a Manix 2 light weight. It has a caged ball bearing lock that works like an axis lock in use. It is strong and has a bias to stay closed (you want this bias, believe me). Also, this is my favorite mid sized knife and I have a lot of knives. The price just jumped to a $1 more than your budget so I assume you can come up with a dollar.
Do you like the Manix 2 lw more than para 3 lw?

I am not a lockback guy but I would not discalify this lock in the Spyderco range
I have been very happy with my Delica and my Native 5
And I am waiting to get some cash to buy another Native 5

by any chance do you own both Manix 2 lightweight and Para 3 lightweight? If so, why do you prefer Para over Manix? Thanks!
Yes I do have the Manix 2 LW in Maxamet too. Great knife, but in-hand the edges of the handle are more angled. I find the Para 3 LW more comfortable in-hand because of the nicely rounded handle. Also I personally prefer the compression lock to the CBBL.

No lockbacks, that's a shame. Spyderco makes a great lockback. With lockback, you have the Native, Endura, Endela, Delica and Stretch (both blade profiles). You could even get the Emerson Wave on the Endura, Delica and Endela.
If you could add more $, the whole world of Spyderco opens up.

Here's a couple to consider as already mentioned.

Manix 2 LW

E0m4NrW.jpg

Tenacious

FHwAjZU.jpg

Just scroll through Spyderco's website to find the knife that meets your conditions/expectations best.

See: Spyderco.com

Multiply the MSRP price listed x 65% to determine the "street price" for the knife and then cruise the knife vendor sites that offer you the best deal based on price, shipping and tax (if any) charged.

Para3 lightweight
Tenacious lightweight
Delica 4
Dragonfly II

I think Boxer .45 Boxer .45 nailed it. I think I would recommend a Byrd Raven!! It's got better steel than the tenacious and I like the way it feels better as well. If ergos are your think, or spiciness I typically recommend a Stretch but its a backlock.

There are still some HAP40 Delica Wharncliffe's at BBS for about $110. Its a lockback, but a great knife. I know you said you weren't crazy about the delica but just putting it out there.

I love Spyderco's liner lock and frame lock (as well as its lock back and compression lock). But I disagree that Spyderco's framelock is the best in the market. In fact, if I want folders of framelock, I will go to Hinderer, CRK, and ZT before considering Spyderco.

I don't abide with lock backs, but the Delica is simply one of the best knives you'll ever find.

For the price, you simply can't find a better knife.

Back