102 CLUB

I got this aftermarket lefty 102 sheath the other day and have been testing it out.

From a maker or company called RK leather, it won't win any awards but for $30 it is certainly on par with the quality of a factory Buck sheath.

I could have made something about equal on a good day, but I've been busy and just didn't feel like it.

Fixall Fixall that Pro sure looks like a precision made, high grade knife. I keep hoping that Buck Knives will eventually add one in the Model 118 Personal - I’ll spring for one of those. OH

They did a really good job on them. especially on the blades, very nicely ground. The Micarta on mine was overheated a bit during shaping, but it's a user so it's going to get stained anyways. No harm, no foul. :)

I haven't given the 118 a chance yet. It's on the list though!

Dating the 102s without a date code involves looking at several characteristics. One of those is the spacer material—either leather, hard fiber, or micarta. Without strong light and some magnification it might be hard to tell the difference between hard fiber and micarta spacers. Hard fibers have fairly straight lines and micarta spacers have wavy lines.

Bert

1 leather 1 copy.jpeg 2 hard fiber copy.jpeg 3 micarta copy.jpeg

For anyone who has the 102 pro series, how’re you liking them? Anyone have a few words they’d like to share on their experience with these? Thanks!

It's pretty hot here lately, and I'm thinking the stacked leather handle may be just the project to take on right now.
Good time for drying when I harden the spacers, and it should be too labor intensive to be doing in this heat.
I just have to make something to punch a bunch of spacers out with.

Probably just squish a piece of schedule 40 oval and put a bevel on it.

I'm joining with my most cherished knife.

I paid too much. (Nope, this was worth every penny!).

Came with several other nice knives at an estate sale. I thank the departed owner.

DaLHTNB.jpg

Last edited:
All they had was 5 minute epoxy, and like an idiot I bought it thinking it might not be that terrible.
I was wrong and it was not even close to enough working time.

I was going to just scrap the handle, but decided to see what I could make of it and it turned better than I thought.

I'm joining with my most cherished knife.

I paid too much. (Nope, this was worth every penny!).

Came with several other nice knives at an estate sale. I thank the departed owner.

DaLHTNB.jpg

That is a perfect Woodsman.

That is a perfect Woodsman.
Yes, I was so amazed to find it. To find one that OLD in such perfect condition is a miracle.

I've been having trouble learning how to post pics and I just went back and edited the post with a new picture.

Finally getting it figured out.

The first picture really didn't do it justice.

And no, it has not been back for a spa treatment.

Last edited:
All they had was 5 minute epoxy, and like an idiot I bought it thinking it might not be that terrible.
I was wrong and it was not even close to enough working time.

I was going to just scrap the handle, but decided to see what I could make of it and it turned better than I thought.

It came out great. I think epoxy is overkill. When I did a leather washer handle I just used regular old wood glue. It worked out great.
That came out great!

Last edited:
Back