105 (now 106) GEC Giveaway - A Counting Game - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

John's diagram of the 10th triangular number, showing that 1+2+3+...+9+10 = 55, is related to my double-9 set of dominoes! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The domino set has 10 pieces with at least one 9: 9/0 9/1 9/2 ... 9/9 (corresponding to the bottom row in John's triangular array).
There are 9 additional dominoes with 8 being the bigger number on them: 8/0 8/1 ... 8/8 (corresponding to the next row up in John's diagram).
The pattern continues with 8 dominoes having 7 as their bigger number, 7 dominoes with 6 as bigger set of dots on them, ..., 2 pieces with the bigger set of dots being 1 (1/0 1/1), and finally 1 double-0 domino (corresponding to the top row in John's stack).

Anyway, now we can see WHY the box claims there are 55 dominoes in the double-nine set! ;):thumbsup::cool:
View attachment 1393073

- GT
I love Algebra! BUT where is the knife in that Domino 55? :D
Gotta post a knife too, Gary. ;)
In the box? :p

Yeah, you'll all have to take my word that there are 55 dominoes and a knife in the box! :rolleyes::D
As penance, I'll post another box, but you'll also have to just trust me that it contains 55 knives and one domino! ;)
ot.giftset.box.jpg

Among the knives included are a couple of Chinese Schrade Old Timers, an 11OT and a 44OT. Wait a minute, I know they're only model numbers, but they do add up to 55! Coincidence ... or Grand Design??? :eek::)
11OT.canoe.mark.open.jpg
44OT.mark.open.jpg

- GT

54 stamped letters from the Roman alphabet on GEC steel. Amid a myriad of Cyrillic letters, want to count them too?:eek:

jqj38lr.jpg
We trust ya, Will!
I did NOT want to count Will's Cyrillic letters, but when it comes to the Roman alphabet letters on the knives, Vince's remark reminded me of Reagan's classic "Trust, but verify." ;)
And I can't verify Will's 54 letters. There are identical tang stamps on the two knives, so that will result in an even number (2 x something), but adding the odd number 5 from the "SCOUT" shield will produce an odd sum, so it can't be 54!

I think it's a fantastic example of 53! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

54 stamped letters from the Roman alphabet on GEC steel. Amid a myriad of Cyrillic letters, want to count them too?:eek:

jqj38lr.jpg

I did NOT want to count Will's Cyrillic letters, but when it comes to the Roman alphabet letters on the knives, Vince's remark reminded me of Reagan's classic "Trust, but verify." ;)
And I can't verify Will's 54 letters. There are identical tang stamps on the two knives, so that will result in an even number (2 x something), but adding the odd number 5 from the "SCOUT" shield will produce an odd sum, so it can't be 54!

I think it's a fantastic example of 53! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

I believe the 54th letter is the W on the tang of the closed caplifter. ;) :D

In the spirit of celebrating Barrett's 105 GECs, here's another entry listing the knives I have in a couple of my weekly categories: Stockman (but not sowbelly) and Econo-canoes. 25 stockman knives and 32 "nothing special" canoes gives a total of 57 knives. I don't have group shots of either group, but I included a pic of the last stockman on the list.
Stockman (25)
Buck 303 (Clay)
Case Humpback (CC)
897UH (Dean)
Böker red (WP)
34OT (DK)
RR 4-blade (btb)
Imp.black Lg (Ramrod)
RR med. Red bone
Marbles damascus (RR)
Case Caliber med.
Buck 373
61OT
Ganzo (DK)
Kingston cattle (MS)
Imp.black M (Ramrod)
RR stag med stockman
Ireland Imp. (DK)
Buck 371 (RR)
Kutmaster (LR)
897UH (KB)
Case 6347
89OT
Imp.black S (Ramrod)
RR red Eureka
RR small stockman with r8shell scrimshaw

Canoe Plain (32)
RR Painted Desert
RR Amber
Buck wood
RR gunstock (WP)
RR Tortoise Shell
Colt black (Ramrodmb)
RR Masonic
RR Ram's Horn Bone
RR sawcut
RR Luck
RR Zombie Nick
XYZ canoe
Colt buckshot (Gasman)
Winchester yellow
RR Diamond Jim
Buck Honey Bone
RR White bone
11OT
RR carbon yellow
RR Armor Hide
RR Christmas
Remington
Imperial
RR lockback
Winchester Buckstag
RR moon glow
Buck amber jigged
Marbles Damascus
11UH
RR Stag Bone
RR Tobacco
RR Bolster Stripes

scrim.euler.open.jpg

- GT

doldrumsdefinition-pic.jpg

We can't stay like this forever...there's the 60s 70s 80. 90s and century to go, and the 50s to finish ;):thumbsup:
Definitely slow today, Will. :(
Tomorrow, I'm leaving home for 2 weeks, so I don't know how many resources I'll have in a rental cottage to contribute to the big numbers in this thread. I hope I can at least come up with one example per "decade".

- GT

Back