"1085 forging steel"

Stacy would that silicon be one possible reason that 1084 score that much better than 1095in Larrins tests?

I suspect the difference between plate and lathe martensite is the primary reason, and lower carbide content. I heat treated at 1475, instead of the usual 1500-1525f I see recommended too.

I wonder how different, if at all, this stuff is compared to the NOS 1 x .25 Schrade stock that Aldo had early on? I still have like 40 three foot bars of that stuff

I don't remember the exact specs but I do recall it was pretty much right where it should be .85% carbon or so. IIRC, the difference between it and that first batch that Aldo had smelted in Germany was that the German stuff actually had around .88-89% C and enough vanadium that you could have almost called it "1084M". More V than the current stuff, I do believe. I remember that he also had a batch of "found" thick 1095 that he called 1095FG.
Didn't Aldo have it analyzed?

So basically what they said on there Instagram account is Bull. I saw it with my own 2 eyes. I just went back through there feed and watched it again. He said " gives a great Hamon " . As far as I know with .83 Manganese it won't give a "great Hamon". So maybe a "temper line" but I stopped edge quenching when I graduated from preschool. lol

Alright all seriousness I'm not trying to bad mouth anybody. Maybe they were mistaken. If anybody is friends with them you should tell them to take that post down from Instagram.
Just sayin

Jason

Has anybody used this steel "Japanese Cutlery 1085 Forging Steel" ? Pop's is selling it. When they first put it on there site for sale like 2 months or so ago, They went on Instagram and there claim was "Jason Knight uses it and loves it". They also said "Makes a good Hamon". I bought some haven't used it yet. I messaged them on Instagram and asked them what the heat treat protocol for it and what was the chemistry on it. When they messaged me back they said "Heat treat like 1084" and just didn't say anything about the chemistry. So does anybody know or have any experience with this steel>

Jason
This is Hitachi 1085. Not the Vanadium steel like suggested below. It is a wonderful steel and makes a great knife. It is true that Jason Knight uses it. This is primarily what Tigerlilly Knight uses. He has referenced Pop's several times on his YouTube channel. I have used this steel and it is a little tough to work at temperatures below 1900-2000 degrees until you get it flat then forges great. Heat treatment is literally just like 1084. Hope this helps.

Back