1095 steel and rust

rocksypder/lastdaze...haha! yep, I know...I used to be cautious with my Glocks...and then over time I realized they don't need anything and keep givin' back plenty of love.

needless to say, the rem oil is hardly ever used...at least for the Glocks. :)

A little extra iron in the diet will not kill you, I use an oil stone to get my edge back after i beat it up, maybe the oil left on the edge keeps mine from rusting.

I use breakfree CLP on all my firearms and recently have been using it on my knives as well. I see how the CLP can leave a slickness to the blade (no ideal), but I have definitely had no rust issues!

I'm still using bees wax, but changed the way I apply it ...

I rubbed some of it into an old (but cleaned) leather belt, and that is my strop (one of two, the other one is loaded with an abrasive compound), seems to work great.

Ok so I've read all 14 pages and have a few questions.

I plan on using my ESEE 4 as a camping knife, (which I'll do 3-4 times a year) and also as a survival/SHTF knife.

It will also be used for food prep during those times, so after reading I realize mineral oil or bees wax are the two types of rust preventor I would use.

While it's sitting in storage (closet or safe) it will be in it's kydex sheath.

I assume kydex doesn't give the same issues with accelerating rust like leather does?

If stored in a kydex sheath after its been wiped down well and totally dry, is wax or mineral even reall needed?

Mind you I live in Ohio, so average humidity I guess. And remeber there's a very good chance it will be stored in the safe.

I thought this was common knowledge! lol! I've owned too many carbon blades to count & I guess I've just got used to keeping them oiled. I use Militec-1 & it works GREAT! Also, check out Rusty's Rags. They're sheepskin cloths soaked in this special silicone. They work fantastic on guns & knives!

Thanks for the info. I personally use rem oil on all of my knives and guns. It works great!

Wonder if anyone ever opens windows anymore. Oh that's right, all the gizmos & gadgets would stop working, lmao. And english must kik your ass too! It's steel! It's going to rust, not go bad like spoiled milk. How long did granpa's old knife last him... until you got it as a youth and then you used the crap out of it. Use it, don't lose it and be happy it's made like a tank.

Thanks for posting this thread.
I just ordered my first R.A.T. and I did not know that it was prone to rust.
I will care for it accordingly.

Back