111MM SAK Users Thread

Any 111mm SAK users out their. Thinking strongly about picking up one, but just do not know which one I want. I have never seen one in person. If any of y'all have any pics of the knife in hand or preforming A task it would be greatly appreciated. Also please give opinions about the knife too.

Here's my opinion, had the "New Soldier" been issued in 93mm, I would have purchased one. I just find 111mm a bit much. I'm also no fan of that one handed Spyderco look-a-like blade.

I collect and use them occasionally. Keep a Rucksack in my EDC bag. Very capable tools. I consider them pack/bag knives but will on occasion drop one into my front overall pocket when I head to town.

Rucksack
VicRucksack_zpsf5b12479.jpg

Nomad
IamNOMAD_zps79957b65.jpg

Forester
ForesterfromRW_zpsf29a4e83.jpg

Early Hunter
EarlySAKHunter_zps4fb735a0.jpg

Hercules (The top of the food chain 111mm IMO. Mine stay stored in bad weather/survival kits etc)
HercASH_zps85a8f183.jpg

hercandstogie_zps11e38d87.jpg

One Hand Trekker (Very capable knives. Mine stay in my Emergency/Wildfire bags)
CammieOHT_zps2ee185e0.jpg

CamoOHTASH_zps8cdbec44.jpg

For scale next to a 91mm Climber.
Camosungrown_zps66198f19.jpg

Also various thin ones like Cowboys (Philips) and Alpineers (Corkscrew)...nice to slip in a pocket.(Group pic)
3_zpse6b6bf48.jpg

The Liner Lock models have heavier (and locking) screwdrivers....
Screwdrivercomparison_zps3aa73122.jpg

All 111mm's have great saws
Rucksaw2_zps18e1f0fa.jpg

I have had a OH in my right front pocket on a lanyard since I got it in late 2001. I also carry a small Eagle, Cordura business card type wallet there too, with no problems. I find the OH ability to be very useful, I just wish I had this knife when I was on active duty. The only time I do not carry it is like when I visit Europe and not sure about the legality, then carry a Camper. John

A really neat classic 111mm IMO Cap! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yea they are neat. From fiddling with it I really do like the 111's, but would not carry one on a regular basis. I think they would be excellent for day trips or outings and just as great for packs or emergency bags.

I still have the urge to buy a Hercules one of these days. Well two actually. One for the collection and one to use. I just find the Hercules to have a almost perfect tool set.

I just wish Vic would make a 111mm alox or a alox textured Swisstool.

I have a OH trekker and Fireman, nice knives, but a bit much for pocket carry. I think the one hand feature looks better, but I'll bet the ones without the thumb hole are overall more comfortable to use.

In the end I think the standard camper model is still their best, at least what I like.

The Hercs are amazing. I have a truck gun with a scabbard mounted survival kit equipped with a Herc and an Orig Super Tool.

I need to do updated pix...maybe when it warms up a smidge.

The OHO Trekker NS and Outrider are my favorite of the 111's. I wish the trekker came with scissors. I tend to carry the Trekker more than the outrider but i like them both.

I have a hunter xt. well made as we expect from victorinox but I would say that these things are quite heavy. Other than that they are the quintessential victorinox product, well designed, well made and sturdy.
Best wishes with your future purchase
James.

I've had this for years , I don't even know what model it is , it's bent , half seized up , badly sharpened with anything that's nearby at the time , but its a very handy addition to my trucks toolbox .
It has never ridden in a pocket , just the toolbox .

d22e16850876c77aef44316035f98708_zps76aa966d.jpg

Ken

111mm SAK...Thinking strongly about picking up one, but just do not know which one I want...please give opinions about the knife too.

Let's see now,
a good intro SAK 111mm model to start with
would be the basic 2-layered "Adventurer"
Victorinox-Adventurer-0-8953-2.jpg

No point in paying more and having more tools with additional layers
if you don't know what you really require them for.
Besides, everyone knows
that a slimmer SAK package gets you a much better grip.
This basic model has the signature locking main blade
which is what which distinguishes it from all other minor sized SAKs.
Just having that lock alone, adds a whole new dimension in handling qualities.
Bye! Bye! Accidental blade closures!
And did I tell you just how much more easier it is
to slice wide bodied stuff with such added length?
So, what I am saying is that,
as long as the 111mm SAK has a locking main blade,
all other tools are a secondary consideration.
You'll cross that bridge and easily make such decisions
through experience and actual daily use.
So good luck in your search!
ps.
and whilst you're at it,
get hold of the new swiss soldier
just because it's way cool not to.
That hole feature is now a must...

I gave the Picnicker to my groomsmen over 25 years ago. I still see one occasionally on my BIL's boat where it's still kicking around in the galley.

This is the only size SAK I would consider for personal use. The blade is more to my preference for food prep and the handle is big enough to fit my hand.

This said, there are other knives in this size range that I prefer (more durable, better steel) and I've moved the tools to a small Leatherman.

But, if you like the steel and feel of the larger SAKs, I say go for it, especially if you have big hands. If you want to pocket carry, I would stick with the thinner models.

An OH Trekker is my only 111 mm user (I have a commemorative 08 Soldier, not used) and by far my favorite when spending any amount of time outdoors. That goes for yard work, picnicking, camping or any other recreational activities. Not that it is any more than cosmetic, but I've had the OHT 6 years and it shows more wear than some of my users of 20 years or more. It is just the right size for light to medium duty, the front-serrated blade works great (IMHO, Vic OWNS serrations), the longer saw is more effective than the ones on the 91-93mm models, and feels good (mostly, there is a small sacrifice in hand comfort because of the OHO, but worth it for the convenience.) I've tried carrying it EDC, but it's just a little too large for pocket comfort. In fact, lately I have been going the other way with an 84mm Sportsman II (more about this another time.)
On a daily basis, if I'm going to carry anything larger than your average 91mm SAK, it will be in a belt sheath and likely a Leatherman.

I collect and use them occasionally. Keep a Rucksack in my EDC bag. Very capable tools. I consider them pack/bag knives but will on occasion drop one into my front overall pocket when I head to town.

Rucksack
VicRucksack_zpsf5b12479.jpg

Nomad
IamNOMAD_zps79957b65.jpg

Forester
ForesterfromRW_zpsf29a4e83.jpg

Early Hunter
EarlySAKHunter_zps4fb735a0.jpg

Hercules (The top of the food chain 111mm IMO. Mine stay stored in bad weather/survival kits etc)
HercASH_zps85a8f183.jpg

hercandstogie_zps11e38d87.jpg

One Hand Trekker (Very capable knives. Mine stay in my Emergency/Wildfire bags)
CammieOHT_zps2ee185e0.jpg

CamoOHTASH_zps8cdbec44.jpg

For scale next to a 91mm Climber.
Camosungrown_zps66198f19.jpg

Also various thin ones like Cowboys (Philips) and Alpineers (Corkscrew)...nice to slip in a pocket.(Group pic)
3_zpse6b6bf48.jpg

The Liner Lock models have heavier (and locking) screwdrivers....
Screwdrivercomparison_zps3aa73122.jpg

All 111mm's have great saws
Rucksaw2_zps18e1f0fa.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

I am now torn between a few models. The OH Trekker non serrated, Adventurer, Hunter, Outrider and Hercules.
I currently EDC one of the following 84mm, 91mm, 93mm SAK(front pocket) and belt carry a Leatherman or SOG multitool. I very rarely use the Leatherman styled belt tool. I am making my decision on what tool to buy based off Pocket carry vs replacing my Belt carry option.

What do yall think is the MOST one can comfortably carry in a carhartt pants pocket? 2 or 3 layers?

Is the Hercules TOO BIG to comfortably use? Is the pliers the same size as the ones found on the 91mm models?

How Strong is the Side Lock? Any wobble?

I really like the Hunter Just hate the cork screw.

The OH Trekker is on the top of my list as of now. I started collecting Spyderco Knives and really love the Spyderco hole.

Last edited:
i own and daily use an outrider at work,and sometimes it's hard for me,imagine for it!
it rarely falls short, but it lacks a second small blade! at first the blade on the very right side bothered me,now i don't care...

and yes it wobbles a bit...

Thanks for the pics.

I am now torn between a few models. The OH Trekker non serrated, Adventurer, Hunter, Outrider and Hercules.
I currently EDC one of the following 84mm, 91mm, 93mm SAK(front pocket) and belt carry a Leatherman or SOG multitool. I very rarely use the Leatherman styled belt tool. I am making my decision on what tool to buy based off Pocket carry vs replacing my Belt carry option.

What do yall think is the MOST one can comfortably carry in a carhartt pants pocket? 2 or 3 layers?

Is the Hercules TOO BIG to comfortably use? Is the pliers the same size as the ones found on the 91mm models?

How Strong is the Side Lock? Any wobble?

I really like the Hunter Just hate the cork screw.

The OH Trekker is on the top of my list as of now. I started collecting Spyderco Knives and really love the Spyderco hole.

2 layers carry better than three but I have no probs with 3. Prefer the 3 as the saw only adds a tiny amount of width. Those bigger saws work even better than the std and ALOX sized saws (which are great).

The Herc is a great size to use with a really useful toolset. Some tools are layered under other tools to keep the width down. It's about an inch wide, needs a scabbard. I believe the pliers are the same as the 91mm, scissors too..

The side lock is strong enough for what it is but not as strong as the liner locks. Some models have a tiny bit of play that is normal in the design. If that worries you, go with the liner lock, it is solid.

Hate the corkscrew? Look at the Fireman/parachute models that have a backside Phillips and a curved blade.

The OH Trekker is probably my fav and is probably the one I would go with for EDC. Liner locks on blade and flat screwdriver. Probably the most comfortable transition too since you own Spydercos.

Last edited:
Back