119 Special Historical Collectors Set

There was one on display at the sale but not for sale.

They can be found, but they're not cheap!

wDFJiCy.jpg

And the value should only go up. I like that blue one on the left.

Description
BUCMBO119LE: 119 Special Historical Collectors Set
Buck Knives

Buck’s Legacy Collection offers exceptional beauty and dramatic designs. Hours of hand craftsmanship go into each Legacy Collection knife. Many pieces, designed by Buck’s employees, are handcrafted in the USA with unique materials and defined as cherished family heirlooms.

The Legacy of the 119

1942-1954
Hoyt Buck designed what would become the 119 after the US Government requested donations of fixed blade knives to help arm the men fighting during World War II. Starting out in the basement of the church he pastored, Hoyt handcrafted each knife from used file blades and lucite in various colors. As word traveled through the soldiers about these impressive Buck knives, he began taking orders from servicemen who requested a custom made knife. Up until 1945, the first fixed blades were created in multicolored stacked lucite and then later transitioned into the highly recognizable solid blue, red, green or black lucite handles, each featuring a single white lucite line in the middle. This blue replica represents the most popular and well-known model from this time period.

1951-1956
After Hoyt Buck's Passing in 1949, Al Buck continued into the family business in the small 10x12 foot lean-to in San Diego, CA. This version of the 119 introduces the blood groove and features a Lignum Vitae handle and 6" blade constructed from used files. Although still a popular military knife the fixed blade began transitioning into a utility and hunting knife. This version can be found in some of Bucks early outdoor magazine ads with the headline, "Amazing Bench Knife Cuts Anything" and a picture of a bolt-cutting demonstration. Al Buck traveled around the country doing bolt cutting demonstrations as one of his sales techniques.

Last edited:
1956-1961
In the mid-1950's, Al switched handle materials and began using elk or ebony as a more stable alternative. This version of te 119 features an elk handle and a 6" blade constructed from used files. Often advertised as Buck Lifetime Knives, the 119 Special cost $22 during this time period.

1961-1981
Buck Knives incorporated in 1961 and moved to a 3200 sq. foot location in San Diego, CA. During this time, the use of file blades was no longer necessary and blades were made from forged blanks of 440C steel alloy. Though assembled through different manufacturing processes, the 119's of this time closely resemble the modern 119. This version features a phenolic handle and 440C steel blade, representing more reliable and pliable materials that transitioned the 119 model into the icon it is today.

1982-Present
To complete this historical set of knives, the 5th and final knife is the 75th-anniversary edition 119 Special that will only be available through 2017. It is the standard 119 featuring a phenolic handle and a 6" 420HC blade marked with the 75th Anniversary stamp and a handle medallion denoting 75 years. Signed by CJ Buck, this leg of the 119 journey depicts a piece of American history.

I saw that set for sale online, but not the blade steels. At over $1,100, I'll never own the set. :(
Thanks for posting that. I thought maybe they were all modern 420HC blades with the proper handle for each era.

great collection to have, but more than i can handle price wise.

Ok, not to derail this thread, but which version from this set do you guys like the most ?
I personally like the looks of the '61-'81 version.

blade shape wise and without the fuller the 42 -54, but size and overall design the 81-17. if i could custom id copy the 42-54 blade shape and no fuller in a 81-54 design. thats me though.

There was one on display at the sale but not for sale.

Interesting. I have also seen a 75th Anniversay 119 with collectors tin but for the past few months it has been listed as temporarily unavailable. There's only a few weeks left before 2017 is over. When do they plan to make more?

They should re-release that 1942 version. But it looks like a smaller blade than a regular 119, maybe they could make an updated version with a regular 119 blade length.

I'm with you, 61-81 model.

I kind of like the handle and guard size of the '61-'68 , but the more swedged ( could just be the picture ) blade of the current version.

Honestly I need not think so much about the other versions I'll never own, because I just made payment for my first 119 ( a very clean 2010 , and factory lefty sheath ) and should have it before long.
Don't get me started on sheaths, the 119 in a flap over holster style sheath is a gorgeous combination and if I think too much about that I may never be satisfied :)

A seller on the bay broke up the set kept 1 and was selling the rest. .I don't remember what he was asking for them..Buck has made some beautiful sets over the years. I'm still looking out for the 112 from the Boone and Crockett 113 / 112 set in burl from a couple of years ago.

There was a vendor selling those 112 from the Boone and Crockett set a while back.
I cannot remember when I bought mine.

A seller on the bay broke up the set kept 1 and was selling the rest. .I don't remember what he was asking for them..Buck has made some beautiful sets over the years. I'm still looking out for the 112 from the Boone and Crockett 113 / 112 set in burl from a couple of years ago.
I tried to buy the 3 that were left out of that set but lost every bid.

Back