154CM vs. S30V vs. VG-10 in the real world....

If your use is light, perhaps. If you actually USE them to the point where they will go dull halfway through the day, or in a day or two, then there is a pretty large difference between them.

Whats the difference between use and USE?

My point is the differences in daily use (variety of materials and cutting surfaces), sharpening, blade cross section, etc will overshadow the differences in those steels. It would take some pretty good controlled testing to see a difference, and daily carry doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between use and USE?

My point is the differences in daily use (variety of materials and cutting surfaces), sharpening, blade cross section, etc will overshadow the differences in those steels. It would take some pretty good controlled testing to see a difference, and daily carry doesn't have it.

Actually, it does. I know from experience in daily carry that S30V will retain a working edge but will not be razor sharp for about 1-2 weeks at my previous job, which involved cutting plastics, thick sheafs of paper, cord, tubing, whatever needed cutting but mostly plastic. That was a PM2(S30V). Before that, I had a Centofante 3(VG10) which stayed at razor sharp longer but in general dulled in about a week's time or less. Same job. Now I'm working exclusively with plastics, and carrying a Delica 4(VG10) and an ESEE Avispa(AUS8) most days. The Delica requires sharpening after maybe a week. The Avispa needs touching up every day or two. Also carried a 154cm Griptilian with around the same results as the Delica.

So, real world experience, every day carry, and all the other posters who put their knives to work are going to agree. That doesn't even count people who work on things like carpet or shingles, just moderate users. Over time, one gets a feel for how long an edge will last and how tough it will be to bring it back.

Agree that differences in how one uses the knife will effect one's perception as to the differences between them, but that does not mean the difference aren't obvious. It just means that person is not using them enough to see a difference. As for grinds, I totally agree. I'd rather have an awesome slicer in a steel that dulls quickly, than a super steel that can barely cut butter because of the geometry. However, that will not change the fact that S30V keeps a working edge longer and is harder to sharpen than the other two.

Actually, it does. I know from experience in daily carry that S30V will retain a working edge but will not be razor sharp for about 1-2 weeks at my previous job, which involved cutting plastics, thick sheafs of paper, cord, tubing, whatever needed cutting but mostly plastic. That was a PM2(S30V). Before that, I had a Centofante 3(VG10) which stayed at razor sharp longer but in general dulled in about a week's time or less. Same job. Now I'm working exclusively with plastics, and carrying a Delica 4(VG10) and an ESEE Avispa(AUS8) most days. The Delica requires sharpening after maybe a week. The Avispa needs touching up every day or two. Also carried a 154cm Griptilian with around the same results as the Delica.

So, real world experience, every day carry, and all the other posters who put their knives to work are going to agree. That doesn't even count people who work on things like carpet or shingles, just moderate users. Over time, one gets a feel for how long an edge will last and how tough it will be to bring it back.

Agree that differences in how one uses the knife will effect one's perception as to the differences between them, but that does not mean the difference aren't obvious. It just means that person is not using them enough to see a difference. As for grinds, I totally agree. I'd rather have an awesome slicer in a steel that dulls quickly, than a super steel that can barely cut butter because of the geometry. However, that will not change the fact that S30V keeps a working edge longer and is harder to sharpen than the other two.

I agree with you. These days I don't cut a lot but a few years back when I worked at my farm and when at an automotive repair shop, I could pretty much work trash an edge fast. However Me2 and his ilk will tell us that our experience means nothing because they will counter our experience with walls of text and micrographs and charts.

I agree with you. These days I don't cut a lot but a few years back when I worked at my farm and when at an automotive repair shop, I could pretty much work trash an edge fast. However Me2 and his ilk will tell us that our experience means nothing because they will counter our experience with walls of text and micrographs and charts.

LOL. I didn't know there was a history of that kind of thing. Experience says more than statistics ever will, unless backed by that very same sort of experience.

There are times when that sort of thing is appropriate. You'll notice there are no charts or micrographs in this thread, even by me.

The implication is that knives I've used in those steels (Grips in S30V and 154CM and Delica 4 in VG10) were never actually put to work, which I can assure you was not the case. Having used each for various things over the past 6 -7 years, I'm confident in saying which was used for what was a matter of convenience and geometry rather than steel, and in terms of edge holding for a wide variety of use on a number of different materials, there wasn't a noticeable difference. If you can limit the materials you cut, which most people don't, then you might be able to see some differences.

As to the original question of these 3 in the real world, it depends on which real world you occupy. If you do very light work, you likely won't notice a difference. If you do very heavy work, same. In the middle, you'll just have to try and see. I'm still going with no noticeable difference, at least not one that can be attributed solely to the steel.

Making a big deal over not too much is what forum are about. There is no perfect steel, if there was everyone would us it for all knives.

Improvising, adapting, and overcoming makes you a better person.

I no longer actually USE my knives, for what ever translation USE means but now I can afford to have the "good" steels. When I actually worked for a living, I carried a Camillus Heat in AUS8. A thick bladed thick handled working knife. I had, and still have, three. One for doing what was needed regardless of the consequences to the knife, one for non working times that was always super sharp and one new in the box. I would strop the worker as needed and sharpen as needed, often daily.

Now, 20 years later, it seems that something perhaps more important than the steel itself is the shape of the grind. I just got a Work Sharp belt grinder/sharpener that puts a convex curved edge on a blade. I have tried it on my BM740 S30V and a cheap Kershaw and am impressed so far. The S30V has held its edge for the first time since I got it. I submit all my knives to generally light use with an occasional bout of heavy cardboard cutting. (3&4 wall, 2 to 5 foot cuts too big for a utility knife). The S30V actually survives. I have not done enough to compare it to the BM710 D2 that I usually EDC but enough to be very impressed that the convex cutting edge greatly out preforms and outlasts the simple beveled edge in S30V.

I have not tried the convex edge on any of my "good" knives as a misstep with the Work Sharp will be bad. I assume however (always dangerous) that this edge would be beneficial on any working knife. The 2 that I have done so far were able to easily shave hair and cut any paper I tried. Not so good on TP and facial tissue. A good sharp edge for an EDC in my opinion.

I also own multiple knives in all three steels. My observations:

They all cut when sharp. All three get damn sharp. S30V stays sharp longer. They all get dull eventually. When they get dull, VG-10 and 154CM can be resharpened easily and quickly. S30V needs more work and time to resharpen.

I prefer knives with VG-10 and 154CM. I'll also take S30V if I like the knife design.

Sorry if this has been done before, but for these three steels only, how do you find them to work in the real world? I've seen a lot of comparison charts, but I'd really like to get the true experienced user's input. I could honestly use some help here :eek:

They are just proven knife steels. The important question is how will they hold up for what kind of knife you are using them, and what kind of blade profile/grind and for what kind of knife usage? Without this information any comments are rather meaningless.

Back