Recommendation? 18" or 15" Sirupati?

Hey everyone I was looking into buying a Sirupati from H.I. and my only issue is deciding which size to get.... I really want the 15" because it's not too long but then again longer might be better for hiking and chopping wood....I don't want to use it for heavy work...obviously you wouldn't want to do heavy work with a Sirupati....it's not built for the heavy duty stuff...but anyway back to my point, I would also like the 18" for the length...in maybe self defense...then again 15" isn't too bad...but still I want to hear it from some people who can relate or might have a better idea than me...also I was just wondering how much in total would shipping to California cost for a 180$ Sirupati...?? Some other people told me like 20$ bucks but yangdu from H.I. Said the shipping price is payed with the item price...I guess meaning that there is not a separate shipping price...

When you buy from this forum, the listed price does not include shipping. You send Yangdu an email that includes your shipping address and if your email is the first, Yangdu will respond with the additional shipping cost. I don't know how it works when you order from the HI online store, since I've never done it. If you spoke to Yangdu by phone she might have just given you a total (the $180 that you mention).

On the question of knife length for self defense: There have been many threads in this forum on the subject, and if you ask ten people you'll probably get five different opinions. Personally I don't think knife length makes much difference for self defense, and in some circumstances, such as confined quarters, longer might be a handicap. Also, a longer knife will probably be heavier (all other things being equal), which makes it slower and more unwieldy, and possibly unpleasant to carry around. If you need that extra three inches, you probably shouldn't be using a knife. A staff will give you a lot more length and can double as a walking stick.

...I was just wondering how much in total would shipping to California cost for a 180$ Sirupati...?? Some other people told me like 20$ bucks but yangdu from H.I. Said the shipping price is payed with the item price...I guess meaning that there is not a separate shipping price...

The Himalayan Imports online "store" has first-quality items priced to include shipping within the USA. The 15" Sirupati is currently $180 at that site (including shipping).

The pricing is different for the "Deals of the Day" items posted here at the forum. Sometimes these deals are described as "blems" (for example, with a small crack in the handle), and sometimes these deals are first-quality items (at a great price). As mentioned earlier, the Deals of the Day listed here at the HI forum do not include shipping costs; the shipping is quoted when the purchase is confirmed (sometimes they are snapped up very quickly.)

More information about buying the Deals of the Day:
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ordering-shipping-information.735020/

Although I do not have a Sirupati, I prefer 18" vs 15" in all my other Himalayan imports. I like the longer reach. edited to add, I like the extra power as well. Especially for cutting wood

Last edited:
I have a 12",15",18",25" but no 30". They all are so different depending on what the task is your doing its hard to say. The small ones great for carving and doing fine work like making arrows etc. and the 18" is great for weed whacking and delimbing etc. and the 25 good for dang near anything you want to do but is a bit heavy. I like the long ones because they are easier on my back with the extra reach and all.

I have a 12",15",18",25" but no 30". They all are so different depending on what the task is your doing its hard to say. The small ones great for carving and doing fine work like making arrows etc. and the 18" is great for weed whacking and delimbing etc. and the 25 good for dang near anything you want to do but is a bit heavy. I like the long ones because they are easier on my back with the extra reach and all.
Ndog how does it compare to a kobra?

Also the website may offer 15 and 18 as options, but in reality there are far more sizes availabe. I have a 20 inch and I think a 16 or 17 inch.

Ndog how does it compare to a kobra?

They are very similar to the Kobra only a bit lighter. I dont notice much of a difference in the edge profile and depending on the Kami they can be very similar or the same. In general Kobra has a very similar edge profile if not the same. Kobra is not quite as wide with noticeable loss in width beyond the knee, and generally lighter because of the reduced width. The "Feel" is a bit different because the Siru is more front heavy lending to a bit more of the chopper feeling and the Kobra give more of a light and fast fighter feel. One other note is the Kobra typically has a bit more drop which puts it more towards the fighter its famed for and I can tell you for sure that extra drop makes a huge difference when slicing through soft stuff (aka meat). I only have a few Kobras so hard to make a real life comparison but Ill try to get a few pics up and show you what I mean later tonight. Beer thirty right now and I got the urge to blow something up? Hmmm? Wonder were that came from? My dogs are all running away:eek: Happy Fouth yall!

Oh! Almost forgot. We cant forget the Chitlangi! If you like Kobra and Siru you will definitely like the Chit!

120983699b61c434541e49c71cdc6717

This 21" Single Fuller Chitlangi is one of my all time favorites and is one sexy knife! The length and balance is superb! This is one of them magical knives that Tirtha just happened to get it all perfect.

Last edited:
IMG_9766.JPG My 21" Chitlangi made by Purna. I do love it!
They are very similar to the Kobra only a bit lighter. I dont notice much of a difference in the edge profile and depending on the Kami they can be very similar or the same. In general Kobra has a very similar edge profile if not the same. Kobra is not quite as wide with noticeable loss in width beyond the knee, and generally lighter because of the reduced width. The "Feel" is a bit different because the Siru is more front heavy lending to a bit more of the chopper feeling and the Kobra give more of a light and fast fighter feel. One other note is the Kobra typically has a bit more drop which puts it more towards the fighter its famed for and I can tell you for sure that extra drop makes a huge difference when slicing through soft stuff (aka meat). I only have a few Kobras so hard to make a real life comparison but Ill try to get a few pics up and show you what I mean later tonight. Beer thirty right now and I got the urge to blow something up? Hmmm? Wonder were that came from? My dogs are all running away:eek: Happy Fouth yall!

Oh! Almost forgot. We cant forget the Chitlangi! If you like Kobra and Siru you will definitely like the Chit!

This 21" Single Fuller Chitlangi is one of my all time favorites and is one sexy knife! The length and balance is superb! This is one of them magical knives that Tirtha just happened to get it all perfect.

Ndog this is for you since you want to blow something up!
Enjoy!

Oh Hail to the chief! Thats what im talkin about:D Cool he couldda set it on fire and been done with it but he wanted to save them trees over there. Id've blown the dog:poop: out if it too:thumbsup:

Dohhhhh! I already forgot you had that Chit so you know that story already. Where's my old timers pills? Thats one sweet blade man im jealous of that one! You did good there!

Well like I said I'm really debating between the 15" and 18".....I really wanted something for self defense, and something that's decent for light using in maybe chopping...and hiking or camping....which should I buy between these two??
el

Get the 15". For hiking it's all you'll need. Great introduction and you can always add the 18'', 25'' and 30'' later.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way really.

Well like I said I'm really debating between the 15" and 18".....I really wanted something for self defense, and something that's decent for light using in maybe chopping...and hiking or camping....which should I buy between these two??

el

You keep saying 'light use' but I think it's important to point out that the 15 inch sirupati, while more 'fragile' than something like an Ang Khola is not actually fragile by any means. Think of it this way, it has similar stats (weight and blade length) to a Becker BK9 AND a thicker blade (almost double the thickness); and no one calls the BK9 a light use knife. Just some food for thought.

You keep saying 'light use' but I think it's important to point out that the 15 inch sirupati, while more 'fragile' than something like an Ang Khola is not actually fragile by any means. Think of it this way, it has similar stats (weight and blade length) to a Becker BK9 AND a thicker blade (almost double the thickness); and no one calls the BK9 a light use knife. Just some food for thought.
So your point is that the 15" is definitely the go to then?...I don't think that it's fragile at all...didn't say that...

Get the 15". For hiking it's all you'll need. Great introduction and you can always add the 18'', 25'' and 30'' later.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way really.
You are absolutely right my friend, do you know how much shipping to California would be? The 15" costs 180$ and I was just wondering what the total outcome could be...?

As you've said yourself and Steve Tall confirmed. Shipping is included in the online price of 180 bucks.
Remember, your knife is coming from Reno Nevada only hours away, not on the other side of the world where they are made.
Also watch for the daily deals, you might find a running mate for the new Sirupati.
Those do have an additional shipping cost but 15 or 20 bucks is all.

So your point is that the 15" is definitely the go to then?...I don't think that it's fragile at
all...didn't say that...

Full disclaimer: I'm not a knife fighter and don't pretend to be. Also, I don't actually own a sirupati, I'm just bench racing here.

I didn't mean to say that you implied it was fragile, just that you keep saying you'd use a sirupati for light work. I offered the example of the BK9 because that is a knife that most people would say is fit for 'hard' use. As such, if the BK9 is fit for hard use, I suggest that the Sirupati is also. Ultimately I'm suggesting that you don't need to limit the sirupati 'light' duty (in case that was your plan), even if it isn't warranted for 'field' use. Just my opinion of course.

So far as the 15 - 18 inch version, between the two I'd go with the 15 inch. The 18 doesn't have much of a reach advantage IMO. Consider defending yourself from someone with a baseball bat, if you had either the 18 or the 15 you're still well inside their danger zone for the blade to be effective. Once you're well inside their space such that a club is a less effective weapon, the 15 inch sirupati has plenty of blade to do whatever needs to be done. Also, the 15 is easier to carry, easier to hide, and weighs less. Likewise the 18 is on the short side for machete work, and too heavy for that sort of work anyway, so again why not just get the 15 at that point, right?

I prefer my 15 inch you can wear it conceal it carry it and use it, without being in the way so for picking just one my vote is 15". Then the tough choice wood or horn handle???

Back