1st Spyderco: Stretch ZDP

Hi Everyone,

I finally pulled the trigger on a new Stretch ZDP. I bought it because of the high hardness of ZDP, which often translates to the ability to get a crazy (sometimes chippy :p) edge. I just got it today and for the money I don't think anything I own comes close. Its razor sharp out of the box. Time will tell but I plan on having this as my EDC slicer (no batoning).

Maybe I should post pics, but I'm most impressed by the OTB sharpness not the looks, which are fine too.

Yup, Spyderco's ZDP blades are by far the sharpest out of the box experience I ever get, not even the HAP40 comes out of the gate as sharp, I have both. ZDP is the only blade that bit me... More than once :O

My second Spyderco was a sprint carbon fiber zdp189 Stretch, but candidly it wasn't all that sharp. Still, I wish I would have kept it.

Did you buy the FRN or the brown G10? I got the G10 because of the heft, been using it on everything I can think of to cut for the past two weeks and it's still razor sharp :)

Thanks to the folks on this forum I'm now on the hunt for a HAP40 version!

Last edited:
i had the zdp189 in a caly 3.5 but didn't dig the carbon fiber and would rather the 3 inch so I got rid of it but ZDP and Hap40 are far and away the sharpest blades I have used. I actually barely touched the tip of the blades to my black slacks at work and it cut a hole with hardly any pressure.

At least the pants were black so it wasn't noticeable.

I really like ZDP.

First was Endura, Stretch and now a Delica.

I like both the Stretch and ZDP steel. Its a great knife, and the 'looks' will wear on you I bet.

toxophilus, I got the FRN version because of the price. I wanted to go with the G10, but I couldn't talk my self into it. I like the FRN more than I thought I would. It's not as black as the pictures and videos I've seen.

nice score,most people think this knife isn't practical ! but i do,i own two of the black FRN VG-10' and sooner or later i'll pick up a G10 modal of this knife!as i use mine alot i find that i'm carrying and using it more then my other folders,even as a EDC,vary handy knife.:)

nice score,most people think this knife isn't practical ! but i do,i own two of the black FRN VG-10' and sooner or later i'll pick up a G10 modal of this knife!as i use mine alot i find that i'm carrying and using it more then my other folders,even as a EDC,vary handy knife.:)

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say the Stretch isn't practical... but for some reason there are people out there who do not find the shapes attractive and complain about it.
I, on the other hand, think it is a beautiful knife with great proportions and curvy lines. The more I've carried a Stretch over the years, the more it grows on me, both in-use and aesthetically.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say the Stretch isn't practical... but for some reason there are people out there who do not find the shapes attractive and complain about it.
I, on the other hand, think it is a beautiful knife with great proportions and curvy lines. The more I've carried a Stretch over the years, the more it grows on me, both in-use and aesthetically.

Oh, I think it's quite ugly, it just also happens to be one of the best designs on the market. ;) Looks don't cut, and the Stretch cuts like a dream, has great ergos, carries well in the pocket and it's plenty tough for as light as it is. I'll be honest, the damascus and carbon fiber versions are a little silly to me as I think the FRN version is kind of a quintessential work knife.

My Stretch is the most beat up knife I own because it's just so ergonomic and useful. It's the knife I mostly carry when I'm doing chores around my place. It's the knife I usually take hunting. Makes an excellent paring knife in the kitchen. Light and easy to carry, optimal blade length IMO, and for some reason it's the one of easiest Spyderco back locks for me to close one handed.

It's a fine thing.

stretch-triplets-4.jpg

Congrats on the knife! I definitely am a sucker for the stretch, especially in ZDP. As far as the looks go, I love it! When it's closed I find the blade looks like a crocodiles head peeking out of the water

I never went for the Stretch originally because I thought the looks were awful and since I had a PM2, didn't really have a fit for it. The HAP40 sprint gave me the push I needed to try one. Well get it in hand, and tell me if looks matter anymore. Fits like a glove. With a comparable steel such as HAP40, I'd put it right up there with the PM2 for an EDC blade of 3.5".

Regarding ZDP, the ZDP Delica I had was the dullest Spyderco out of box I've ever had. My sharpest? A VG-10 Endura but there's maybe 10 that are neck in neck just below that.

Excellent choice. I'd like to echo the sentiments in this thread about the Stretch...it is one of my favorite knives to use. I love the ergos and blade shape/belly that it has. I have several Spydercos in ZDP-189, including the Stretch, and it's also one of my favorite steels.

Back