• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

#2 Extra Hard Redwood Burl - Old Stock Cut in the 40s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Mark...I got my block today, looks great, thanks....I would like a few more if there are any.. Mike :thumbup:

Hey Mark...I got my block today, looks great, thanks....I would like a few more if there are any.. Mike :thumbup:

There are still a few left in this thread but not many. I have to catch up on things around here then I will see if I can post a few more. Thanks, Mark

I got mine yesterday. They really are special pieces. Thanks for making this possible.

I'll take 559 and 555, thanks. I got my first pieces this morning and this stuff is even better looking in person and very dense. Thanks Mark.

Last edited:
I think I am having seller's remorse.
My boss tells me not to fall in love with the wood, but I really liked this stuff. The only consolation I have is that a lot of you will be posting photos of what you make with this stuff. I think I have as much fun seeing what you make as I do making things myself. Can't wait to see some photos.
Thanks everybody, Mark

PS: If anybody doesn't like their piece I will be happy to buy it back.
Most of these blocks have been shipped now. Feel free to post any comments when your blocks arrive. I hope you like them.

Last edited:
If anybody doesn't like their piece I will be happy to buy it back.

How's $50 a block sound to you? I might be convinced to part with a couple of them for $50 each if you pick up the shipping and additionally you send something else in trade to sweeten the deal enough. :p:p:p:p:p This stuff be swwweeeeet! THANKS!

How's $50 a block sound to you? I might be convinced to part with a couple of them for $50 each if you pick up the shipping and additionally you send something else in trade to sweeten the deal enough. :p:p:p:p:p This stuff be swwweeeeet! THANKS!

Hey Phil,
With some of those blocks you got that might not be a bad deal. You'll see when you start working with this stuff.

Hey Phil,
With some of those blocks you got that might not be a bad deal. You'll see when you start working with this stuff.

I totally agree. I just got mine in today and showed it around a bit. Some of my colleagues are still looking for their socks.

What would your rough ballpark guess be of the age of the tree that this stuff came from?

I totally agree. I just got mine in today and showed it around a bit. Some of my colleagues are still looking for their socks.

What would your rough ballpark guess be of the age of the tree that this stuff came from?

It is a tough one to try to guess the age. Some of the burl showed 20 to 30 growth rings an inch. The slab was about 3 & 1/2 inches thick. Just that portion of thickness would reflect about 70+ years of growth. It would take a monster sized redwood to grow a burl this size. Just think of the burl as a wart that grew on the tree. Although it is a wild, unsubstantiated guess I would say over 500 years old. For all I know it could be a multiple of that guess. When I visit the redwood forests around here it is not uncommon to see down trunks 10 to 15 feet thick. And that is after a good portion has rotted away. Probably should have called it prehistoric burl.

All the wood in this thread has been sold now. Thanks everybody.
Anybody think I should cut a little more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back