2007 BFC Knife Pattern Vote (vote here)

ea42

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
* READ FIRST *
Just wanted to give everyone an update here before you vote. I spoke with Joe Hufnagel today regarding the knives. Modifications such as bolster work, shields, etching, etc. are no problem, but things that require re-tooling, or new tooling, such as fabricating a punch or changing blade steel, would REALLY ramp up the cost and is only remotely possible on really large volume orders:eek: . I would imagine everyone would like to see this knife come in at under a hundred dollars or thereabouts, so it looks like we'd be better off ordering an existing pattern and then add any goodies as cost allows. This vote is just for the pattern only. Once we get that down I'll give Joe a call and go over what he can do as far as customizing and the prices involved for that particular pattern, as well as handle material choices. The only blade steel available on their folding knives is 420 stainless unless you want to go for another ring turn or sheath knife such as the drop point hunter, which are D2. I'll keep a running tally of the vote in the post below this one. I should be able to update it at the end of each night. Our choices according to popularity in our last survey are:
4" stockman
Split back whittler
Canittler
Bonus-since we don't have the punch/stockman, I figured I'd throw the two blade gunstock trapper in here also (It's not like this is my favorite, I like them all, I just figured I'd offer a completely different pattern and keep it at 4" or less)
These knives can all be viewed on Canal Street's website with the exception of the cannitler, which will be available sometime in April : canalstreetcutlery.com
Good luck with the vote, if there's anything you want to add or delete, just post it below, I'll check the thread daily.
Eric

Here's the tally of votes so far for the new BFC 2007 knife:

4" stockman - 10

Split back whittler - 4

Canittler - 20

Gunstock Trapper -

Canittler
---

EDIT - ea42, unless I missed it somewhere, maybe we should have an ending date for the pattern voting.

Hmm, no stockman/punch & 420 steel... I guess I gotta go with a pattern I only have 1 of, the Canittler.
It's going to be a safe queen I'm afraid.

Dave

Stockman pattern..:cool:

And thanks ea42, you a good man for putting up with all of our BS. And I am afraid it has only just begun.

Thanks Sunnyd, I'm actually looking forward to it. ( Remind me to look back at this post in a few months:D )

Eric

Canittler
---

EDIT - ea42, unless I missed it somewhere, maybe we should have an ending date for the pattern voting.

How does April 1st sound? Too long?

Canittler please. Pity about the steel. They did the ring turn in A2 for us, so maybe they'd be willing to use A2 for this year's knife?

* READ FIRST *
Just wanted to give everyone an update here before you vote. I spoke with Joe Hufnagel today regarding the knives. Modifications such as bolster work, shields, etching, etc. are no problem, but things that require re-tooling, or new tooling, such as fabricating a punch or changing blade steel, would REALLY ramp up the cost and is only remotely possible on really large volume orders:eek: . I would imagine everyone would like to see this knife come in at under a hundred dollars or thereabouts, so it looks like we'd be better off ordering an existing pattern and then add any goodies as cost allows. This vote is just for the pattern only. Once we get that down I'll give Joe a call and go over what he can do as far as customizing and the prices involved for that particular pattern, as well as handle material choices. The only blade steel available on their folding knives is 420 stainless unless you want to go for another ring turn or sheath knife such as the drop point hunter, which are D2. I'll keep a running tally of the vote in the post below this one. I should be able to update it at the end of each night. Our choices according to popularity in our last survey are:
4" stockman
Split back whittler
Canittler
Bonus-since we don't have the punch/stockman, I figured I'd throw the two blade gunstock trapper in here also (It's not like this is my favorite, I like them all, I just figured I'd offer a completely different pattern and keep it at 4" or less)
These knives can all be viewed on Canal Street's website with the exception of the cannitler, which will be available sometime in April : canalstreetcutlery.com
Good luck with the vote, if there's anything you want to add or delete, just post it below, I'll check the thread daily.
Eric

I've seen matched sets (fixed blade & slipjoint...believe it's aTrapper) ) of CS knives with D2 steel, so they do make slipjoints with something other than 420. I'd be curious to know why D2 isn't an option on this.

I like the stockman pattern. It seems strange to me that at least D2 is not available???

Large Stockman Please!!!
I am disappointed that we can't get 1095 steel

Canittler.

I was on the fence, thinking I might go for a stockman, but since the punch isn't an option I'll go with the above.

However, I'll likely be "in" for anything we end up with, this time. I decided I wasn't really a fan of the ring knife pattern, didn't get in on that one, and have been kicking myself since...

-- Sam

Canittler please. I think Canal Street should broaden their horizons regarding the steel though. :eek:

Back