2007 SOG Knives

Chris@SOG

I just wanted to let everyone know that SHOT show went well and we are set to introduce some great new products. I have finally started to recover and have posted our new product filer online for everyone to see. It can be downloaded from the press section of the website at

http://sogknives.com/news/press/
Right click on the 2007 New Product link to download the PDF to your computer.

Enjoy
Chris

You guys have some really cool stuff coming on line this year.

I really like those Powerlock diagonal cutters. Those would be very handy for me.

Good looking improvements on the multi-tools.

To be quite honest, I was a little disappointed when I saw the "muscle car" knife. But then again, I don't really like "theme styled" knives, and at only $40 MSRP, it might be neat to play with. But then, when I scrolled down and saw the Vulcan...WOW! My jaw dropped! Man, what a nice looking knife!

To be quite honest, I was a little disappointed when I saw the "muscle car" knife. But then again, I don't really like "theme styled" knives, and at only $40 MSRP, it might be neat to play with. But then, when I scrolled down and saw the Vulcan...WOW! My jaw dropped! Man, what a nice looking knife!

I reall like a lot of SOG designs-- mean and clean. The logo cut-out grips make me wanna gag though. I had the same reaction with the "theme" concept, but I guess it gives the novelty collectors something to buzz about. The should have put Ohms Law on the electrician's knife.

I'll be happy to field test a Team Leader!

The Vulcan and Team Leader actually look really great, which sort of surprised me considering some of the designs SOG has been releasing lately. I sure wish they offered G-10 handles however, not a big fan of cheap plastic...oops, I mean "Zytel." The Muscle Car induces only one reaction for me...:barf:

That SEAL team Elite would have been an immediate purchase if it didn't have that "rasp back".

I don't know why there's such a big enthusiasm for that feature at SOG.

It's not a saw, so it doesn't cut. It's very rough, so it seriously louses up penetration coming and going.

Why can't SOG replace the non-functional "rasp" with true serrations? :confused: At least then the "rough" back edge would have some genuine functionality.

It's not like a serrated clip blade doesn't look "sexy" either. Never mind the silly Rambo saw back, check out the serrated clip on the Buck 184 . Every time I see those old Bucks I keep wondering why SOG doesn't do something like that with their SEAL knives. SOG does know how to do great serrations, too! Imagine a forward clip or a whole back edge on a SEAL or a Tigershark like that!

btw. That damascus SOG is a show stopper!! OMG! :D

Easier said, than done. :)

If I had the skill to do that and make a professional-looking job of it, I'd probably be able to make the whole knife entirely from the ground up. ;)

If you look closely at a "rasp" SOG, the lowest part of each notch, would be the "new" highest outline. It would be easier to just get a non-rasp SOG and have it serrated by a custom maker (and doing serrations well is not as simple as it sounds).

Of course, that just took my new "production knife" and probably doubled its cost.

It's a shame, because the SEAL Elite's handle looks really well thought out, just about everything I've always liked about the original SEAL Pup, only bigger. Even the extended breaker butt is nicely done.

...can't wait to see Cliff Stamp tackle the new Team Leader. I swear, that guy is the closest thing the knife world has to "Consumer Reports".

i like seal elite , and the vulcan , and the team leader . maybe sog might keep me as a customer after all .really like that switchblade , but no chance of me getting one in aus :(

Wow, a knife made of 20cv. pretty exotic, and pricey too. Good looking knife though. Chris, any idea when these knives will be available?

by the way cliff stamp is a complete tool IMO .

Care to explain why? If you make a statement like that, okay, that's your opinion, but it would help if you could clarify your reasoning behind it.

"he's a complete tool because..."

From what I've read of his reviews and his posts on BF, he seems very knowledgeable about blade-related metallurgy and he subjects knives to harsh but very well documented tests, much to the displeasure of some people who don't like tests they can't dismiss as "inaccurate".

Sure, some of them are extreme and constitute abuse, but that's not entirely unreasonable considering the way many makers and manufacturers brag about how tough their knives are.

It's refreshing to see someone conduct truly scientific tests on knives: so many cuts on this type of material, at this edge angle, with this steel, took this long to degrade the edge to this degree. This edge thickness produced this effect on cutting. Changing it to something else produced the following. etc.

That's a review that goes beyond the more common and subjective "I needed to whittle some poles for my wife's rose trellis and the (whatever knife the magazine sent me to test) easily handled the task!" or "I put this bad boy through my favorite super-scary Filipino Martial Arts 60-count flow drill and the knife feels like a cobra, coiled for combat". :rolleyes:

Ummmmm thats not a Team Leader I don't care what anybody says. I hate to sound mean but when I heard that they had made a Team Leader my heart soared and I started looking around for things I could sale so I wouldn't miss out this time. Instead of a big beautiful folder built like a tank I get a fixed blade made out of some unknown super steel. Grrrrrrr bring back the real Team Leader.

no , cliff stamp is a tool because he tortures knives to the point where any knife will break and then says they`re crap because they broke . thats why hes a tool .

no , cliff stamp is a tool because he tortures knives to the point where any knife will break and then says they`re crap because they broke . thats why hes a tool .

I've read reviews of his where he does not say that.
IIRC the Becker BK9

BUT this thread is about the new knives from SOG, and I do
like the Vulcan. Not enough decent knives around with the 3.5"
blade length IMO.

Could you please provide an example of this? If Cliff's expectations are unreasonably high for knives, how does that invalidate the very detailed and accurate data he generates during his tests?

You may disagree with the conclusions a researcher derives from his experiments but if they've been carefully conducted, then a faulty conclusion in no way diminish the value of the data acquired.

In all fairness, not all the knives fail his harsher tests. If you know of anyone else who tests knives as precisely and as thoroughly, please share the URL for his site.

------
btw. I've been stewing on your problem with the SOG auto. I wonder if SOG would ship you one without the spring? Then it would be just a knife with a button lock open and shut. Nothing illegal there.

Coil springs aren't particularly difficult to purchase as an aftermarket item, but that would be on your conscience.;)

whatever about cliff stamp . yeah , i guess i could try getting the auto without the spring

Dear Chris@SOG

You guys have lots of Sk-5 stock right? Why can't you offer some of your fixed blades in that steel this year(Tigershark! damn it, gimme a SK-5 Tigershark!:grumpy: )? I'm sure alot of people here at BF and probably through other means have already express the desire to see more of your knives offered in SK-5 or other non stainless tool steel. It'd cost more... but that way you could offer people who is into high carbon steels an attractive alternative to AUS6; AUS8:yawn: ! since I heard SK-5 is very similiar to O1 used by Randall and Mad Dog... :thumbup: I for one wouldn't mind paying extra for it~ Please make my dream (SK-5 Tigershark non serrated with whatver coating/no coating) come true in your 2008 catalogue! Thanks in Advance!:p
Sincerly,
Jack

Back