2008 Knifemakers Christmas Gift Exchange! (2nd Annual)

Please note that this is actually the 2008 Knifemakers Christmas Gift Exchange, not 2009. I had a brain fart in my fingers.

I wonder if the moderators are able to change the title for me? Moderators?

It's that time of year again. I'm starting it earlier this year, to give all of you more time to create your knife for a fellow maker. Last years gift exchange was a roaring success.

Make whatever you desire. I suggest that once you know who you're going to be making a knife for, check out his/her comments here on the forums, his/her webpage (if they have one), and try to learn what they like to make. Most makers make knives that they would like to own. Embellish as you desire or not.

Some of you will be new makers, and might be a little timid about joining in. The new makers that joined in last year had a great time. Just about everyone pushed their limitations, since the knife was being made for a fellow maker. Some of the knives were very basic, some of them were quite detailed. If you're timid and aren't sure about joining, I can only tell you that those that decided not to join in on the fun last year seemed to regret that decision. Some of the knives made last year, were among the first knives that particular maker had ever made, so don't be shy!!

Timeline for this years event:
  1. Open sign up until August 31, 2008. To sign up email me your contact information (name, address and phone number) to scottickesknives@gmail.com and post an "I'm in" here in this thread!
  2. Letters to be sent out to each participant on September 5, 2008. Your letter will have the contact information for the knifemaker that you're making a knife for.
  3. Please try your best to have your completed knife shipped out in time for the recipient to open it on Christmas morning.

Work in progess photos are encouraged, as are finished photos. I will be posting photos from time to time during the sign up period of last years knives, to wet your appetites.

The exchange list will be kept secret, so that no one knows which knife they are getting. There was some serious drooling all during the fall of last year. I won't even know who is making a knife for me. My wife pulls the names and seals them in the addressed envelopes and keeps the list on her computer. She was really good about keeping the secret last year. *&$^%#@!!!!

I do know that my knifemaking skills were greatly enhanced by last years efforts, so this is a great event for those new makers out there. You'll be surprised by how well your knife turns out.

As a tickler, I'm going to show you the knife I received last year. The maker was Robert Mayo of Canada, and I cherish this knife! Thanks again Rob for making such a fine little knife for me.

Let's hear it everyone. Who's in?

Attachments

• Robert Mayo 1.jpg
    Robert Mayo 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Robert Mayo 3.jpg
    Robert Mayo 3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Robert Mayo 4.jpg
    Robert Mayo 4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Robert Mayo 5.jpg
    Robert Mayo 5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Robert Mayo 6.jpg
    Robert Mayo 6.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Scott, I am in again this year!

In doing last year's project, I gained a lot of confidence and felt my skills improve. To echo Scott's post, if you are a new or less experienced maker, don't worry about it, just join the fun! You won't regret it! :D -Matt-

I"m again.
O carp i have to still send out last years knife :eek:.

I would LOVE to be a part of this. I tried to email you but i dont think it went thru....(Outlook seems to give me problems)
If not my addy is:
*acaptainn* at that place that rhymes with wahoo :D that,ll keep those bots away.

What a great idea ! Thanks for hosting this.

I'm in, too. (And man, what a looker from Mayo there. Yowza!)

Edit: right-handed.

Last edited:
I'm in again, it's a good excuse to force me to make a knife and actually finish it, rather than forge it out and rough grind it and have it sit in a pile =P

I would LOVE to be a part of this. I tried to email you but i dont think it went thru....(Outlook seems to give me problems)
If not my addy is:
*acaptainn* at that place that rhymes with wahoo :D that,ll keep those bots away.

What a great idea ! Thanks for hosting this.

Email sent to you. If that doesn't work, let me know here in this thread. Welcome to the gift exchange.

To the rest of you, welcome also. To those who were involved last year and to those of you that are new to this, as well. It should be another great event.

I would love to be in, kinda scared though. is it for Christmas of 08 or 09? thanks- Stan

Last edited:
I'm in! I'm one of those who regreted not doing it last year.

Still some kind of EDC?

I changed that this year. Not all of us make EDC's. The rules about the knife and style only tended to hinder some of us. This year it's open to whatever you want to make. It's a gift, so it should be from the heart. We had a gentleman last year that made a hawk. As far as I was concerned, to me it looked like a great Every Day Carry Hawk!!

Attached is a photo of his effort. Very nice indeed. Robert Silver was the maker. I'm not sure where the list is from last year to tell me who the recipients of each knife were. Until and if I find it, if you received a particular knife that I post a photo of, please speak up. Attached are two photos of Robert Silvers' very fine hawk. Who received this one?

Attachments

• Robert Silver 1.jpg
    Robert Silver 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Robert Silver 2.jpg
    Robert Silver 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 86
I would love to be in, kinda scared though. is it for Christmas of 08 or 09? thanks- Stan

I'm thinking that just posting to this thread constitutes an "I'm in". I'm expecting your contact information in my email Stan. :D

Oh, almost forgot. 2008! ;) Nice try though.

Back