2015 American Lawman

Got my first cold steel in yesterday. I went with the lawman. Check out this grind
e96050febfd9620ad1207803c796dc7c.jpg

I'm just an amateur at sharpening and this could present some issues. One side is twice as steep as the other.

I really like the size and feel in hand but man that lock is tight. I also can't get it in my pocket because the clip is so close to the g10. I anticipated these two issues and will give the lock time to break in.

Got my first cold steel in yesterday. I went with the lawman. Check out this grind

I'm just an amateur at sharpening and this could present some issues. One side is twice as steep as the other.

I really like the size and feel in hand but man that lock is tight. I also can't get it in my pocket because the clip is so close to the g10. I anticipated these two issues and will give the lock time to break in.

Yup... 9 out of 10 of my CS folder has edge grind like this. And i have more than 3 dozens CS folders over the past 5-6 years. This is the main issue i have with CS knives, on top of their uneven blade/spine transition grind(i.e. one side has a wider blade spine than the other). You think they would have fixed this after so many years.
Sometimes i feel like there is only one person grinding CS's folder, cause most all of the edges are ground unevenly. Even cheap Ganzo or other brands made in China have more even grind.

Yeah, that does suck. I usually reprofile the tip first, on a waterstone, then I rework the edge. I finally got around to doing it to my Ti-Lite and Talwar earlier this evening.

Last edited:
Mike, almost a year into it, do you still like this knife? Am thinking of getting one because of the lock and the blade.

Got the black Lawman on order. Just hoping that pocket clip is not too tight. Are there any custom pocket clips for the Lawman available that are worth buying, and using on the Lawman?

Mike, almost a year into it, do you still like this knife? Am thinking of getting one because of the lock and the blade.

I'm not Mike, but I have had and used mine for quite a while and like it more every time. The lock has broken in nicely and is not nearly as tight. I will be getting the OD version eventually.

i have had mine for about a week so far. its much nicer due to its thinness, but its also just as strong as the original. g10 is not a weak material.
i love this blade.

Hey that looks perfect to me...

....for a chisel grind :rolleyes:

Got my Lawman, and the grind on it is spot on. Lock was super tight, but I tweaked the flat spring, and it is easy to unlock now. Had to tweak it twice because the first time I went too far, and got just a bit of vertical play. I can inertia open it now with a very strong flick of the wrist if need be. My clip was just a tad tight going in the pocket when new, but it came out of my pocket easily. The clip is broken in now, so I don't have to do any adjustments. Would have preferred the OD green handle, but it was a birthday present from my son, so black G-10 it is.

When I was taking it apart, I was surprised to see bronze washers and teflon washers. Action is very smooth now especially after I tweaked the flat spring.

I found a place to buy a custom titanium clip for my Lawman if need be. Never bought anything from Pops Custom Clips, but they do sell them. https://www.etsy.com/listing/244809907/titanium-pocket-clip-for-cold-steel?ref=shop_home_active_23

I looked on Ebay, and there was plenty of custom titanium clips for a lot of knives, but could not find one for the Lawman or any Cold Steel knife. Probably some on Ebay, but if there is I can't find them.

I had that clip, it sucks.

Just received my ALaw and, I dunno...I like thicker knives. But...but...it's so light. I usually don't like that. But part of me does. The other part of me wants to go find the older version. And then the other part of me is like, dude, this is slick!

I did get the version with a FDE/desert brown handle, which is pretty cool. Gotta say.

Just received my ALaw and, I dunno...I like thicker knives. But...but...it's so light. I usually don't like that. But part of me does. The other part of me wants to go find the older version. And then the other part of me is like, dude, this is slick!

I did get the version with a FDE/desert brown handle, which is pretty cool. Gotta say.

I was very opposed to the new thinner handle when the new lawman came out last year, and was quite vocal about it in the forums. But after carrying and handling them for almost a year i have started to like it a lot. IMO the thinness really makes it much easier to carry, especially if you are carrying it in your back pocket(unclipped) like me. Even tho the older one is much more comfortable, the new one is not bad, and it gives a different feel as it's so light.

I called Cold Steel's customer service about this with one of my folders. They said it was intentional, and the way the knife is designed. I don't have an American Lawman so I can't comment on that particular blade.

I just got my Coyote handled one from Mi... err "HalfwayAmerica". This thing rocks. Triad is smooth and easy to depress. Locks up like a tank. Gonna have a little sesh with my Japanese Waterstone tonight.

I just got one of the close out Lawmans from Midway and if I look at the tip through my loupe it looks almost exactly like Firefighterguys pic.
The thing is though other than that the edge grinds look almost perfect.
If I wasn't looking I never would of noticed it.

Everything else about the knife is excellent, the lock is easy to unlock and it is super smooth to open.
I think this is gonna be a great knife to carry as it is light and very slim.
It still feels good in the hand and has minimal flex even when squeezed hard.

Even at a hundred bucks this is a quality blade and now they are selling for under 60 so I hope more folks take advantage of this deal.

I also took advantage of that Midway deal...waiting (not so) patiently for it to arrive. The smoother G10 and thinner profile sold me. I've never noticed an issue with the grind on my other CS folders, but now I'll have to go look. I have a 4" Recon 1 (spear point in AUS-8A), Mackinac and Lone Star Hunters (AUS-8A), and Code 4 (spear point in CTS XHP). Each of the 4 Triad locks have had different levels of "stiffness", with the Mackinac being the worst (but can still flick it open easily, just extra stiff on unlocking) and the Code 4 being the best by far...it is really very easy to use. I leave them open at the peak of the rotation overnight, and apply a little Militec 1 and open and close the knife 50 times to break it in. Usually note too bad after that, and just continues to get better with use.

(Side note: Amazon had the Lone Star on clearance a few weeks ago for $25...helluva steal, but they are back up to $45+ now. Might be worth keeping an eye on if you want one. Hate the clip though.)

--Otter

I also took advantage of that Midway deal...waiting (not so) patiently for it to arrive. The smoother G10 and thinner profile sold me. I've never noticed an issue with the grind on my other CS folders, but now I'll have to go look. I have a 4" Recon 1 (spear point in AUS-8A), Mackinac and Lone Star Hunters (AUS-8A), and Code 4 (spear point in CTS XHP). Each of the 4 Triad locks have had different levels of "stiffness", with the Mackinac being the worst (but can still flick it open easily, just extra stiff on unlocking) and the Code 4 being the best by far...it is really very easy to use. I leave them open at the peak of the rotation overnight, and apply a little Militec 1 and open and close the knife 50 times to break it in. Usually note too bad after that, and just continues to get better with use.

(Side note: Amazon had the Lone Star on clearance a few weeks ago for $25...helluva steal, but they are back up to $45+ now. Might be worth keeping an eye on if you want one. Hate the clip though.)

--Otter

Also got my 2nd brown lawman from that halfway deal ;) i kept telling myself "just because it's cheap doesnt meant you need it......" but i pulled the trigger anyways, and the excuse is that this adds enough number to the shopping cart to get a free shipping for the Broken Skull :cool:

Back