2015 Case Tony Bose annual collaboration, what pattern are they going to use?

I thought the Case Bacpocket was a TB collab. I dont see it on Garys list.

The yearly collaborations are the ones that are custom quality. ATS34 then 154CM. I had the big trapper with two nail nicks, I think it was the Arkansas trapper or Alaskan trapper. I traded it.

Now I have the dogleg jack with antique bone covers, the Tribal Spear with ebony, antique bone, molasses bone and Damascus and I'm looking for the stag Tribal Spear. I have the coffin jack and Lanny's Clip with chestnut bone covers. I have the wharncliff trapper with antique bone scales. I think I'm forgetting some.

The Case Tony Bose knives in the regular are well made. CV on some, SS on most. I had the swayback gent, an SFO with ebony covers. I've had a couple swayback jacks in chestnut bone and CV. I had a saddlehorn, a three blade sowbelly and a 5 blade sowbelly. I had two of the backpockets, one had the spey blade and goldenrod bone.

Lots of knives I wish I would've kept.

With regard to my last post -would it be true that there are TB designs that are production runs and don't start out as collaborations with the custom quality upgrades?

Some of Tony's designs are given the annual treatment, some are for the regular production line. Personally, I think some designs that were annuals should have been regular production, and a few of the regular production line models should have been annuals.

Ok, so we have a list . . . But how about pics of each with their lengths! Pretty please?!!!

Last edited:
There was a request for some chestnut pictures :)

Mine arrived today. Man, what a beauty! This is my 6 month milestone celebration/reward for quitting smoking :)

Without further ado...

82AF747B-0B67-4696-818F-E9646FB8705E.jpg

80AA1747-E440-4DF4-B389-5610F7BE41FC.jpg

And a little size/color comparison:

DF90BEE8-E4C9-4441-8731-8C1210B80640.jpg

With Chestnut Sowbelly - It's a little smaller than I imagined it, perfect size for me

8CA1294B-96C5-4A22-803A-991FCAA83B7A.jpg

With Humpback stockman

Very nice Mike! I had my Ebony Cattle Knife out and about with me today.

Jake, the cattle knife is a lot thinner than I figured. Love the ebony, very nice.

Thanks for the pictures, Mike. Very nice looking knife.

Congrats on kickin' the habit too. :thumbup:

Wow great pictures! The chestnut bone is really nice looking also. The first one I've seen on the forum too. Great score CrazyCanuck!!

Edit: Congrats on quitting smoking also. More people should follow your lead.

Rhett Stidham sent an original of this pattern for us to pattern several years ago. It had a spear master blade with a punch. Diamond Edge was a trade mark of the Shapleigh Hdw Co in St Louis. Very old brand. Most of their early knives were made by Empire, I believe this knife was made by them but can't prove it. The one Rhett sent was the only one I've ever seen, probably more out their somewhere.

I have made several of this pattern with a spear master and all blades as well as a spear master with a punch. Sense I like the clip blade better that's what I decided to have Case make it with. It's a great , rare old pattern and they did a great job on it. It really works nice. I realize you can't please everyone with the blade choice so I just go with what I like. Ha. It was well received at the SHOT SHOW. They couldn't get stag for it so it was replaced with white pearl. Kick ass knife.

I recently picked this knife up and understand that it is the original pattern referenced in terms of the Case Bose 2015 annual cattle knife. I am sure my knife did not originate from the Stidham collection so this is one of the “probably more out there somewhere” knives as Tony noted. As Tony also noted a few of the blades were substituted for the collaboration beauty that was made in 2015 compared to this knife.

This knife is an Empire made Shapleigh Diamond Edge Cattle knife (3 & 5/8”) – the punch blade patent was indeed the Alvord Punch Patent #833146 (though I also understand that Empire may have sold some punch blades through contracts with other companies for their use so this is not definitive) but the diamond shaped shield is also polished plain which was also indicative of Empire made knives for Shapleigh. I understand other contract knives for Shapleigh had a DE etch in the center of the diamond shield. That based along with the pulls and swedges also suggest Empire at least to my eye. Overall it is a solid knife with great snap and some unique celluloid patterned scales (at least based on some other celluloid ;-) I also am including a photo of the milled brass liners which were a sweet addition to this particular original. In terms of dating and if I am correct – the name change from Norvell-Shapleigh to Shapleigh Hardware occurred sometime between 1916-18 and Empire ended in 1930 so presumably this knife was made in that time frame.

Thanks for looking and hope it serves as a good contribution to this thread as a historical perspective to the 2015 collaboration knife!

----------------

Last edited:
Wow, LongBlade! Just........WOW!

Thank you so much for sharing this. It's a real treat for me to see these photos. That has got to be a very rare knife. What a prize!

Thanks for making my day! :thumbup:

Those little nail notches are some of the things that make 'em special. I see why Charlie C liked to collect Empire. They have also become one of my favorite brands.

Again,great knife Lee.

There was a request for some chestnut pictures :)

Mine arrived today. Man, what a beauty! This is my 6 month milestone celebration/reward for quitting smoking :)

Without further ado...

82AF747B-0B67-4696-818F-E9646FB8705E.jpg

Beautiful knife Mike. I noticed Tony's knife has the jigging up to the bolsters,something Case has been lacking over the years.

Thanks Rick and Lyle :thumbup:

I just realized I forgot the pic of the milled brass liners so I attached it in my original post above...

Forgive me for reviving a 6 month old thread but I feel compelled to post a brief update.

I've owned my 2015 Cattle Knife for just a few weeks shy of a year and I can say with complete honesty that this knife has never ceased to amaze me. Rarely have I encountered a knife that consistently impresses me like this one does.

Seriously, this one of the best knives I've ever owned. Custom or production. I can only imagine what a full on custom version of this knife would be like. But then, I don't need one of those. This one will do just fine.

I'm shocked that these are still on dealer's shelves. Such a fine knife in so many ways. If anything ever happened to mine I would be heartbroken if I couldn't find a replacement. Might have to get another one just in case.

Tony Bose made a comment somewhere. I believe it was earlier in this thread: "Kick ass knife".

After nearly a year of ownership, that pretty much sums it up for me too.

Last edited:
Back