2017 Gardens

Interesting new digs, Taldesta. You're gonna have a lot to work with. Me, I don't like snow now that I don't ski anymore. I get real grumpy once it gets down below freezing. Luckily that doesn't last long here.

I didn't get much yard work done this year, too busy painting the house exterior. caulking and the carpentry that needed doing took forever. guess I'll put off some more plans till next year. Just cleaning up 3 months unattended weed growth is going to take a while. Oh well...

I use reciprocating saws too for limbs. Chain saws bother me (scare me a little in all honesty) and I only use them when I absolutely have to. I don't burn wood, so there is no big cutting and stacking chores.

Taldesta, you have what appears to be a clean slate on this property. Lots to do landscaping wise if that is what you want. There is always next year.

Interesting new digs, Taldesta. You're gonna have a lot to work with. Me, I don't like snow now that I don't ski anymore. I get real grumpy once it gets down below freezing. Luckily that doesn't last long here.

I didn't get much yard work done this year, too busy painting the house exterior. caulking and the carpentry that needed doing took forever. guess I'll put off some more plans till next year. Just cleaning up 3 months unattended weed growth is going to take a while. Oh well...

Yes, hear you about snow ... have shovelled and blown and swept from steps and laneways and roofs for way too many years myself.

Not to mention the white knuckle driving to work over countless years, trying to stay between the ditches and rock cuts in the dark, morning and night.

Yet, on those spectacularly brilliant ... black and starry nights, when the woodburner runs low and I step into my snow boots and overcoat to venture out to the woodpile in the dark silence of the wee hours ... wow! I am alive and know it to the core. Constellations from horizon to horizon ,,, and the mystery to me of the millions of stars overhead everywhere. I have such reverence for the night sky.

A home is a big commitment and yet work takes time away from maintenance ... I can't offer much solution to the balancing of this struggle ... except to say you have posted great pics of what you have accomplished - looks great - and you inspired me to plant blue fescue grass from seed and it turned out beautifully.

I use reciprocating saws too for limbs. Chain saws bother me (scare me a little in all honesty) and I only use them when I absolutely have to. I don't burn wood, so there is no big cutting and stacking chores.

Taldesta, you have what appears to be a clean slate on this property. Lots to do landscaping wise if that is what you want. There is always next year.

On this particular property, I lived for over 14 years in past lifetime. Shallow dug well, 100% woodburning heat, small space - sort of like a bachelor apartment with slanty roof loft upstairs. Mega grass/weed to contain or to cultivate.

Has the most suitable flat down by the river for a market garden with unlimited river water accessed via piping under the road. I definitely brought my dad's Dura piston pump at least to bring water up to the house for gardens and to boost the shallow well as necessary in late summer if drought.

Amid high walls of boxes waiting to be unpacked here still. I am procrastinating as best I can :D

Yum! What all is in that dish LEGION 12?

The only food I could wrangle from the jungle here wouldn't be near as tasty for sure. But, some visitors - 4 so far - have at least been entertaining, for me and the pups. Please forgive poor pic quality ... absolutely could not risk sliding open old window glass with such wary ears in the yard. No tail flash on this morning.

DSCF8912 WHITETAIL 1 600 MED.jpg

DSCF8913 WHITETAIL DEER 2 600 MED.jpg

Here, still no tv at all ... that's ok. No hot water yet ... that's criminal! :eek:

The only food I could wrangle from the jungle here wouldn't be near as tasty for sure. But, some visitors - 4 so far - have at least been entertaining, for me and the pups. Please forgive poor pic quality ... absolutely could not risk sliding open old window glass with such wary ears in the yard. No tail flash on this morning.

View attachment 782861

View attachment 782862

Here, still no tv at all ... that's ok. No hot water yet ... that's criminal! :eek:
French bread , ricotta cheese , parmigiano reggiano, tomatoes and a little olive oil.

View attachment 782861

View attachment 782862

No hot water is not good , before I moved from my apartment I was taking cold showers in March.

1FC152E4-3A4D-44D9-AB72-2EDB67592E06.jpeg Redoing my back slope. Podocarpus henkeli will grow 20’ plus. I have a 3 story medical building behind me that needs to be screened. These will do it. I used Rainbird shrub stream nozzles and had to crank the flow way down on the valve to get this pattern. There will be another hedge on the side yard, and will continue with the same valve. My other pics are too large for upload.

Tried to plant them like I build a wall, straight line. Did ok. Have to restake the closer ones. Ran out of green tie tape.24634754-EC56-4E6C-8354-721D9B091C47.jpeg

Yeah, those should provide some screening. You'll have to watch for debris in the water though.

Tried to plant them like I build a wall, straight line. Did ok. Have to restake the closer ones. Ran out of green tie tape.

That's one ambitious landscaping project! Did you already have the retaining wall in place for this planting?

I am not familiar with the Podocarpus henkeli but will look it up. Looks a little like it might not like the winters here. It should make a very breezy screen and living contrast to the wall behind it - add life to that length of the yard. Very nice. Big job!

In the spring I will be needing a fast growing perennial to shade the deck on the S/W side of this house. The sun is brutal on this exposure. I had thought of a climber like hops except that the plant produces parts that are toxic to dogs (verified on brewer sites) and I just don't want to have to be vigilant in removing them. My old favourite, tough living Caragana, is slower growing but just as tall ... and surely would outgrow the evergreens like white pine in the first years. Also, I need this plant to be a scrappy grower ... to thrive on shallow soil over rock on a gentle slope. All suggestions welcome. I have over winter to plan. Seeking shade but want a more permanent solution than pole beans etc. Does anyone grow grape vines?

Zone 4a or b here.

Looked it up. The images showing Podocarpus henkeli in maturity are beautiful indeed. Described as valued because it has a strikingly neat, attractive form and its elegant, drooping foliage. I hope you will post more pics as it grows.

That's one ambitious landscaping project! Did you already have the retaining wall in place for this planting?

I am not familiar with the Podocarpus henkeli but will look it up. Looks a little like it might not like the winters here. It should make a very breezy screen and living contrast to the wall behind it - add life to that length of the yard. Very nice. Big job!

In the spring I will be needing a fast growing perennial to shade the deck on the S/W side of this house. The sun is brutal on this exposure. I had thought of a climber like hops except that the plant produces parts that are toxic to dogs (verified on brewer sites) and I just don't want to have to be vigilant in removing them. My old favourite, tough living Caragana, is slower growing but just as tall ... and surely would outgrow the evergreens like white pine in the first years. Also, I need this plant to be a scrappy grower ... to thrive on shallow soil over rock on a gentle slope. All suggestions welcome. I have over winter to plan. Seeking shade but want a more permanent solution than pole beans etc. Does anyone grow grape vines?

Zone 4a or b here.

The hardscape is existing. I am spoiled with temperate subtropical weather in east Ventura county CA. I am surprised podocarpus is not used more often. Gracilior and macrophylla species work too, but the henkelli is a favorite of mine. Ivy geranium balcom princess and balcon salmon is what I am after for the planters below. First I have some hard scape to do below. I may also do some low voltage subterranean uplight canisters shooting up into the hedge. Budgets, budgets budgets. I have room on the transformer out front, but have to trench for the wire. I am a so cal native, landscape guy, so my frost hardiness knowlrdge is good but not great. Thank you for your compliment. It is encouraging, it is hard work.

Taldesta - if you want a fast growing screen you might consider a trellis and some wisteria. Grows fast, good screening, should be okay in your region, smells nice, and bees love it.

Taldesta - if you want a fast growing screen you might consider a trellis and some wisteria. Grows fast, good screening, should be okay in your region, smells nice, and bees love it.

Will definitely check this out. A trellis would be easy as the deck already has sturdy sides built on it and all it would take is extending the uprights and some support materials between extensions. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I think I would initially go for man made shade over the deck (or part of it) and then plant whatever appeals to you surrounding it. Eventually the plantings should give you what you want or you have both.

A covered porch would be the ideal solution. Dare I dream ... even screened? :D You are dead right on that one. There is a canopy mounted on the house now but it is in disrepair and must come down.

It is just that, until I am certain that I will stay here, I am holding back on the dollar investment in the property improvements. Once the sense strikes me that this is it, my forever home ... well then I would just love that saltbox utility shed to house the trailer and mower and tools ... and a lovely covered porch of course. Hey - I would even invest here in all those lovely perennials that I have admired so much.

Somehow, that vision of my cabin in the woods will just not fall off my radar. This home is not quite my vision of a cabin in the woods but is close in many ways and probably offers a lot more conveniences. If I come to the decision that this is as close as I will get ... then watch the hammers and nails fly! Thanks 22-rimfire.

Yowza ... I just passed my 1000th post!

Yowza ... I just passed my 1000th post!
Well, congrats. ;)
Most of the folks here that have thousands of posts are either long time members and frequent posters or like to hang out over in the Pirate, wine & cheese, or Political areas which I do not. But I should not generalize.

Back