2018 BF Traditional Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

eisman

Gold Member
Okay, It's April, and I'm tired of waiting for Ted to start this thread...

Is there going to be a 2018 Forum Knife?

I talked with Charlie this weekend, and he's kind of surprised no one's brought this up in the last couple months, but acknowledged that if we're to get anything this year it needs to get started pretty quick.

Since Queen's gone, and Canal Street too, that pretty much leaves GEC or possibly Northwoods as the makers of choice. (Case apparently doesn't want to play.) I'm not sure if we'll have any chance of making major choices on what's available or could be, but I think it's time we ask if we're willing to continue this tradition or let it die.

Myself, I'd like to see a forum knife. I'd prefer it to be a way to bring back an old pattern that's fairly uncommon. I'd hope that it would be fairly unique even in a more common pattern. But still, I'd rather have a "BF Knife for 2018" than not have one.

So, to start the ball rolling, I'll offer up these:

A GEC Pattern, hard to come by, but probably more trouble than it's worth:

2xuOUJ3.jpg

And this old Remington pattern, even harder to find, but man would I carry the heck out of a modern one of these:

9ow0Szt.jpg

92 Eureka. Either 2 blade or single blade with spear point. Threaded bolster, bare end. Desert ironwood or muslin micarta.

Or

74 pattern zulu spear.

That Remington Norfolk does look nice too.

Thanks for posting this thread. I was wondering when this would come up too. I am a fairly new member and missed out on the 2017 forum knife.

I like the old Remington you posted.

I wonder if GEC would do a whittler or half whittler for us?

For cover options maybe a jigged bone or exotic wood would be cool.

I'd love to see a serpentine large stockman in a lamber jigged bone. Is the GEC pattern the 82? Clip, sheepsfoot and???

I guess the ultimate would be a camp knife but I think that might require more work to tool up for GEC to get this out in time?

I'll throw in a minority vote -- I think -- for a 2018 Porch knife in stainless, rather than 1095. :thumbsup:

My stainless Canal Street 2015 Double-Ended Serpentine Jack remains a personal favorite -- not solely because it's stainless (it also packs my two favorite blade shapes into a handle that's large enough for my hands, among other features), but it's a factor! :D

My second preference would be for non-bone or -horn cover options, such as wood and micarta, to be available.

And while I'm wishing, I would love to see a cattle knife with a clip/spear main, sheepsfoot, and punch. Put that in stainless with micarta covers and . . . well, I don't know what I'd do! :eek: Wait, no, I do know -- I'd order one! :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back