2018 BF Traditional Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what happens from this point on, I believe a lot of good things have happened which we must acknowledge.

First, Mike @knifeswapper has come forward to help with a GEC Forum Knife. I do not know Mike personally, but I have observed his business, purchased knives from him, and I have read many of his posts in the forum. He is bright, loyal, and a hard worker. I have no doubt that he can make a GEC Forum Knife happen. Otherwise, he would not have offered. Second, GEC is a company. They have much more to be concerned about than our Forum Knife. Despite this, Bill Howard has offered to work with us at this late hour. Third, Stephen @skblades is a great guy who has continued to work feverishly on a Buck knife even after he realized there would be no profit. Most people would have walked away at that moment. Finally, Buck is also just a company. Their business model simply offers more flexibility on a fewer number of patterns. They are not doing this for us personally. So, we do not have a crisis, we have an abundance of blessings.

It seems that the makings of a perfect compromise where everybody truly wins is right before us. Mike, would you be willing to continue this effort, but for a 2019 GEC Forum Knife instead of this year? That would give you time to work out all of the details and organize the assistance you need from us. That would also give you time to work with Bill Howard and identify one or two options that might be unique. Stephen could take care of this years knife, since he has come so far already. We get two great Forum Knives in the process; Buck this year and GEC next year.

All I see before me are honorable, good and true knife people. There are no bad guys in this situation.

Great post, Leslie.
Please don't write off a GEC forum knife just yet. Lets see what is offered and let the forum vote. I am all for getting the ball rolling for next year too.

It might be worth asking ourselves, as a communal subforum, just what brand of knives we talk about here.

I like Buck, I own many Buck knives, but in the 3 years (not that long, I know) I've been hanging out on the Porch, Buck knives haven't really been brought up here all that often. After all, Buck has their own sponsored subforum, so I imagine that's where a lot of the conversation takes place.

GEC has a HUGE forum presence, it is US. Enthusiastic collectors/users and dedicated dealers (Mike and Barry, lookin' at you!)

There should be a vote on the maker of this year's knife. For sure.

At Porchenburg Placards n Posters.
Shop door bell tinkles.
Good morning Sir.
Good morning
May I be of assistance?
Yes Ive got a horde of angry townsfolk outside and I need some placards..say about 250?
Ah Well you see Sir we have a minimum of 300 per order but you can have anything you like printed on them.
Yes OK thats fine.Ill take 100 with "Buck Off" 100 with "Great Enthralling Conundrum"
aaannnd 100 with ooohh lets say " May The Porch Be With You".That should keep them all happy for a while.
Certainly Sir, now which cardboard would you like them printed on?
Hang on I'll check (leans out of doorway and calls to mob)Which cardboard do we want?
Voices from the crowd
Heavy thick stuff..
Liteweight corrugated
Organic recycled
Double sided shiny with silk finish
Man closes door as more ever increasingly unlikely types of cardboard are called out by the mob and repeated by townsfolk who have been drawn to the scene .
Shopkeeper noting the mans desperate posture of eternal hope.
Look Ive got several dozen from last year out the back. I can change the 17 to an 18 .
Whats on them?
"Talk To The Fork"
Change it to a 19 I'll take em.

At Porchenburg Placards n Posters.
Shop door bell tinkles.
Good morning Sir.
Good morning
May I be of assistance?
Yes Ive got a horde of angry townsfolk outside and I need some placards..say about 250?
Ah Well you see Sir we have a minimum of 300 per order but you can have anything you like printed on them.
Yes OK thats fine.Ill take 100 with "Buck Off" 100 with "Great Enthralling Conundrum"
aaannnd 100 with ooohh lets say " May The Porch Be With You".That should keep them all happy for a while.
Certainly Sir, now which cardboard would you like them printed on?
Hang on I'll check (leans out of doorway and calls to mob)Which cardboard do we want?
Voices from the crowd
Heavy thick stuff..
Liteweight corrugated
Organic recycled
Double sided shiny with silk finish
Man closes door as more ever increasingly unlikely types of cardboard are called out by the mob and repeated by townsfolk who have been drawn to the scene .
Shopkeeper noting the mans desperate posture of eternal hope.
Look Ive got several dozen from last year out the back. I can change the 17 to an 18 .
Whats on them?
"Talk To The Fork"
Change it to a 19 I'll take em.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

I think a GEC 14 could be dolled up to be pretty attractive.

Added to the Clip blade could be a caplifter, or coping blade, or punch (mini harness jack). Or maybe a "Boy's Knife" variant with a bail and chain.
Maybe a shield like the "scout" shield, but instead of "scout" it could be "Porch" Nice bone scales maybe? Lots of ways to go really.

I would prefer a #14 and I think there is enough interest to poll a GEC #14 vs BUCK 301 thread now.
The fact that a 14 is even a possibility is still pretty new information. I expect enthusiasm to grow as news of this option spreads.

It will be a carbon steel vs. super steel showdown!

I can not hear that song without Sherriff J W Pepper springing to mind.

If we get the GEC this year can we get the Buck 2019?

Maybe you can tell us exactly who has volunteered to place the order with GEC for your hypothetical 2018 GEC Blade Forums knives, who has volunteered to take all of the orders and collect all of the money from members for your hypothetical 2018 GEC Blade Forums knives, and who has volunteered to print all of the mailing labels and ship all of these hypothetical GEC 2018 Blade Forums knives?

Tell us all of that and then we can have a GEC vs. Buck vote. Until then, IMO you are just promoting vaporwear.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2018-bf-traditional-knife.1569227/page-70#post-18042275

Sounds like you are just trying to be confrontational to shut down discussions about something you don't like, which might work in some of the other forums you like to post in but I don't believe it's how things are supposed to work here.

I'm confused -- we're looking at the Buck 301 as a potential front-runner, because the 303 is "too small" according to some folks -- but several of those same folks are strongly in favor of a #14 pattern.
isn't the 303 pretty close in size to the #14 pattern?

Buck vs. GEC; people just want GEC 'cause they are hot. They want to sway opinion to GEC. However, there are more Buck traditional knives in use than GEC can even dream of making. In reality if your metric for a forum knife is classic, traditional and USA-made, Case and Buck should be first on the list.

Given this year's difficulty in dealing with a GEC product, I think the forum now knows what great "citizens" they have in WayNorth and Gunstockjack and all those others I can't remember for the years they did the work. Oh, thanks to John Loyd for all that STAG.

And a HipHipHooray to SKBlades stepping up to the plate and getting the game in play. Support the process.

As a side note, it's kind of interesting that over the years, no representative from the company that has made the Traditional forum knife has ever bothered to stop in and say hello. Canal Street, Queen and GEC never said "thanks for the support" and they do not have forums on Bladeforums...But Buck does have a forum in which their employees, dealers and customizers are active members. Maybe the Traditional Forum SHOULD give some support to Buck :)

Oh if you like GEC knives and like to flip them, vote for the Buck 532, it's more money, but not compared to a GEC product. It's very collectible ;)

People don't want GEC over Buck "'cause they are hot." They want GEC because they are qualitatively superior in nearly every way. The only possible advantage Buck has is in the choice of blade steel. And if blade steel is all you care about, buy a Spyderco Mule.

Oh really? Using that analysis why buy a GEC when there are so many customs available.

Question: what will the turnaround time be, generally, from each company? If, for example, all the different polls, choices, pre pays, etc are all ironed out and the order is placed, say, June 1st, how long until we could expect delivery?
Not saying it should influence the decision, but in years past, what was the cutoff date to ensure delivery in the same calendar year?

John

A mini-caplifter or radio-knife would be sweet on the #14. It does need to be something sweet to use the #14.

I agree. Considering the plethora of 14 SFO options that will be run, and the strength of the current Buck option, it would need to be something cleverly interesting from GEC. A two-blade with cap lifter would definitely have my interest. Add a Scout shield, and it would sway my vote. That would be an epic forum knife.

Question: what will the turnaround time be, generally, from each company? If, for example, all the different polls, choices, pre pays, etc are all ironed out and the order is placed, say, June 1st, how long until we could expect delivery?
Not saying it should influence the decision, but in years past, what was the cutoff date to ensure delivery in the same calendar year?

John

John, post # 481 in this thread estimates 8 weeks for a Buck knife once the order is placed. I have no idea about any other maker.

I know that moving the juggernaut that is the Traditional Forum can be slow. Our process over at the Buck Forum for a BF knife has lots of input to sift through. But once a knife is chosen or decision made, we are looking at 8 weeks to ship date once the order is in to Buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back