2018 John White MS Memorial BEST BOWIE - VOTE for the overall WINNER

Which of these tremendous knives is your overall favorite for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not an undeserving knife among them. All of the finalists are stunning pieces.

That said, that Antunes knife just does it for me on so many level. Stunning damascus pattern, flawless keyhole, perfect curves. A very complex knife, that really excelled at the 'less is more' school of design.

I got down to 5 knives... Then it was a couple of hours of flipping them 90 degrees, blowing them up, blowing them down, tipping the screen to make them brighter or darker. Do that over and over. I finally made it to 3... Lisch, Marchand, Quesenberry. The differences in those three knives is immense. The Marchand knife blown down has a togetherness that is simply lovely... a total whole of it's parts. The Quesenberry knife is so tight, clean, precise it creates a calmness.... just beautiful. The Lisch knife is in total movement. It feels to me like every single small area, every detail in the damascus, "D", handle/blade transition... every spot on it is moving to or from somewhere to something... a person can almost hear it move. I had to pick it.

Mike Krall

Have to give Quesenberry’s ivory one the nod this year. Across the board exquisite in every way. Lin is a close second in my opinion. Great work by all the makers.

These are all fantastic works of art, as are the larger group of original candidates. But for me when I scrolled back and forth a few times, each time the Quesenberry 1 grabbed my brain and held it locked in place. That magnificent Damascus combined with that luscious ivory is just too good!! And with that wide flat-ground blade and the subtle curve of the handle I bet it would cut like a demon - not that anyone would actually use such a masterpiece, which in a way is a pity!

Last edited:
Well so the first round is finished :) It was thrilling :D At the first part I have to thank all those who voted for me or nominated me! Thank you very much for your support and for very nice words - Shrone, i4Marc, sheathmaker, JParanee, J. Doyle! (hope I didnt missed someone :D :) ) Im honored you picked my creation amongst others so beautiful and well executed knives! :) Its pitty I didnt "break through" but have to say that there was extremly strong competition and there was very few knives I didnt like. So to pick just few knives was very hard :)

My personal favorite didnt enter to the Final. I would vote for DesRosiers mammoth integral. This knife is majestic, has strong design with nice touch on the guard, perfect lines and very difficult integral construction made in flawless damascus. Therefore it is no1 for me :) Except for my knife of course :D :D :D

Well, if I have to pick from finalists.
It is VERY hard. EACH of those knives is amazing, I love something on every one of them . Some details on some of those knives I like less, but have to say that they are all cool!
I will pick 4 of those knives I love most and say something about them and than I will vote for one of them.

Antunes - I just love his work in general! I would love to have his talent and his skill when I was in his age ! :) This knife is made with insane damascus and technique and I cant say I dont like it but this time I will vote for another knife.

Klein - This is a great knife and just wonderfull design! I love it. Artistic but balanced , very nice details and materials. I most appreciate original style :) This is one of the FOUR for me :)

Lisch - Well that is knife that has a spirit of "wild west" bowie. Love especially the D guard. Beautifull damascus as well. This is one of the FOUR for me :)

Lurquin - Very artistic design, nice touches and details, but this time other ones touched me more.

Marchand - This one is very cool! I love the overal "dirty" design, dynamics, handle ergonomy and materials as well ! :) But im more damascus type of guy :)

Quesenberry - Very clean and clasical with some nice design touches. Love the damascus and how clean and carefully chosen it is for every part of knife ! :) This is one of the FOUR for me :)
The other one from him I dont count. It is very nice, well executed utility knife that most people will like but I think this competition is more about exceptionality :)

Rhea - Very nice knife. Just totally love the guard and the pommel detail !!! These small touches always gets me ! :). If the guard and pomell was made in some damascus this one would be easy choice for me! This one is one of the FOUR for me.

And than after several hours of considerations I finally picked one amongs others :D

Ok guys - this was fun and hopefully we meet in the end of this year again ! :)

Good luck and many wonderfull projects to everyone !! :) Petr

While I love both the Quesenberry's and the Marchand, for me it was between the Klein and the Rhea...both are in my mind unquestionably bowies, but at the same time are fresher / newer / more innovative takes. And along those lines the Klein is even more so in that vein...so many different elements but so well put together the piece doesn't look out of place in any single way to my eye.

I'm soaking up all the thoughtful comments. I think I've got my four narrowed to two. Honestly, I usually find the nomination stage harder for making choices - generally there is one knife among the finalists that really takes hold of me and won't let go. This year there are 4. Brutal. But awesome.

Looking at these Bowie's has me intoxicated all over again,all deserving but there can only be one so I just voted
for the one that spoke to me in some intangible way or feeling...the Lurquin
Thank you for the chance to vote

Terrific field of finalists - one would be fortunate to own any of these fine knives.

My four started with Kevin Klein - which I think is the most beautiful knife in the finals. Elegance, sophistication and a truly impressive blend of textures an materials. Kevin has an exceptional eye for lines and proportions - like he was an architect in another life. There is so MUCH happening in this knife when you break it down into segments, yet it all flows so harmoniously together, the eye never gets hung up on any particular element. Bravo.

Sam Lurquin's offering is the most fierce in this field to my eyes - and this tends to be a characteristic of all of Sam's blades. I've said before that if you asked Sam to make you a butter knife it would still scare every other knife in your kitchen. But like a leopard or a tiger, ferocity and beauty can go hand in hand - and this piece certainly offers much to delight the eye. No doubt Mary would agree - and she certainly knows her knives.

My hardest decision this year, however, started with the knife that held the most compelling emotional appeal for me. Evocative. Visceral. Rick Marchand's blade is the one that had me coming back most often for a second (or fifth, or tenth) look. And it is the knife I feel I know best how it feels without ever holding it. That handle is ergonomic and aesthetic perfection - comfortable and grippy with the combination of textured wood and wrap. And I'd be astonished if it were anything less than wickedly fast. Facing un-nameable mayhem, this is one knife I would want strapped to my side.

Ultimately, my vote went to Lin Rhea's bowie. If Lin peered into my psyche for the knife I would have him build for me, it would be this exact knife. The handle gets top billing with the innovative combination of stacked micarta and ivory - but consider the execution. As Tad pointed out above, look at the center spacer and how it helps transition the disparate segments into a continuous curve. Have a gander at that terrific S-guard: bold, flowing and expressive - as an S-guard should be. And the beautiful damascus blade is the icing on a rather spectacular cake. It wins the lengthy tug of war to pull me off the fence.

Last edited:
Another year is done and another worthy champion crowned. Hearty congrats to Master Smith Lin Rhea for his outstanding bowie!

Sincere congrats to all of the finalists for their exceptional work, and indeed to all of the nominees. Collectively, you fine makers are keeping the bowie genre alive and vibrant, and for that you have my gratitude.

Finally, my thanks to all who have participated in this annual event - it literally doesn't happen without you.

Congrats Lin and Happy New Year

Wonderful selection of knives

Well deserved win by Lin and again huge congrats

STeven and I like to do a plaque and I hand it out at Blade

See ya in Atlanta :)

Back