Photos 2019 Blade Show • Excellence in Customs!

Mace Vitale - Guilford CT (This knife won the ABS 'Best Historical Knife' award.)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Steve Hill - Spring Branch, TX
orig.jpg

Akio Shinozaki - Japan
orig.jpg

Kunihiko Tamatsu - Japan
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

David Lisch, MS - Yelm, WA
orig.jpg

Jeremy Spake - Portland, OR
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ron Best - Stokes, NC
orig.jpg

Larry Hostetter - Fort Pierce, FL
orig.jpg

Tad Lynch, MS - Beebe, AR
orig.jpg

Jordan Borstelmann - Brooker, FL
orig.jpg

Cliff Parker - Zephyr Hills, FL
orig.jpg

Andrew Smith - Gonzales, LA
orig.jpg

Bob Rankin - Marysville, MI
orig.jpg

Samuel Lurquin, MS - Belgium
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jerry Fisk, MS / NLT - Nashville, AR
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

(Note his deep relief engraving - A new process for him)
orig.jpg

'Best Bowie' 2019 Blade Show award
orig.jpg

Marshal Hall - Casselberry, FL
orig.jpg

Dillon Dean - Rockdale, TX
orig.jpg

Greg Keith - Nova Scotia, Canada
orig.jpg

Mark Fleming - Washington, AR
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This next image has a story: Isao brought it to me for a multiple image, and it was opened as in the center image. What a great piece. But, I wanted to show it in EVERY form. So I moved the blades around and closed it, etc. (I'm a mechanic and knife person. I knew it could handle it.)

He picked it up notably concerned and frustrated that he now had to reopen ALL of those blades. Unnecessary. That wasn't HIS plan.

When I figured out how to show it (Pay attention to this layout), he absolutely LOVED it. NOW he 'got it'. Glad to serve you. :)

Isao Ohbuchi - Japan
orig.jpg

Ariel & Claudio Sobral / CAS Knives - Argentina
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Alistair Bastian - South Australia
orig.jpg

Michael Raymond - Malabar, FL
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

John Horrigan, MS - Burnet, TX
orig.jpg

William Kennedy - Yukon, OK
orig.jpg

Derrick Wulf, JS - Germany
orig.jpg

Harvey Dean, MS - Rockdale, TX - 'Best Fixed Blade / Best of Show'
orig.jpg

The next knife was a commission for Harvey. It was created as a tribute to William Younts, IV in honor of receiving his pilot’s wings from the USAF in 2018. His father, William Younts, III, made the presentation box. The silver escutcheons on the handle are the actual silver Lt’s bars worn by his grandfather (William Younts, Jr.) while in Europe fighting for our freedom during WWII.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Paul Distefano - Staten Island, NY
orig.jpg

Vladimir Kolenko - Huntingdon Valley, PA
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tom Ploppert - Culman, AL
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
David Mirabile, JS - Juneau, AK
orig.jpg

Jim Sornberger - Volcano, CA
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kenneth King - Suwanee, GA
orig.jpg

James Rodebaugh, MS - Carpenter, WY
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

David Kulis - Chicago, IL
orig.jpg

Scott MacCaughtry, JS - Camarillo, CA
orig.jpg

Vince Evans - Show Low, AZ
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

'Best Sword' 2019 Blade Show
orig.jpg

^^^ A suitable ending!

You are correct; that's a LOT of knives!

I tell all, that the Blade Show is the HARDEST four days of my year. It extends into my busiest weeks beyond the show as well.

That I was able to be creative and give each of these knives a different 'personality' through colors, insets, and varied layouts is mentally challenging at the show.

The makers spend SO MUCH TIME, SKILL, and CREATIVITY, that I am humbled by their work. They are the main subjects.

Even still, I strive to provide visuals which speak as a 'SharpByCoop' image. I hope you enjoy my style and artistry as well.

What a privilege to have SUCH a stage to show them to the world in large size. Thanks to Bladeforums: Spark, Lorien and the rest, for this honor.

Mace’s Woods piece was a standout for me

Any pic of Mirabile Dragonfly Cutter ?

As always thank you Jim and family

Any pic of Mirabile Dragonfly Cutter ?

As always thank you Jim and family
YIKES! Yes.....

Thank you Joe for this reminder. I looked in my 'deleted' files and found single images which didn't make it into my 'finished' folder. I have (at least) one more to edit and finish.

Like I said, it was nutty. Mistakes happen. Recovered. Wait for it...

Every year knives exhibited at BLADE Show surpass those seen previously. And every year Jim Cooper expertly captures their beauty and excellence for web and print broadcast to the whole world.

It is said, “Seeing is believing” or “See one, do one, teach one” etc. Coop makes sure the world sees. Every year makers see what’s actually possible and expand their own visions. Their customers see Coop’s images, as do dealers, publishers and manufacturers etc. Every year expectations swell and standards are raised.

How many years, how many beautiful and powerful images, how many makers inspired, how many knives sold, how many nationalities represented at BLADE Show, how many knife enthusiasts thrilled by Coop’s BLADE Show knife images? Does the knife industry have a better, harder working, more dedicated and productive long-time friend than Jim Cooper?

I sincerely hope that Jim Cooper’s monumental contributions will soon be officially recognized by induction into the BLADE Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame.

Nomination and voting is by living Hall of Fame members only and limited to one inductee per year. Quoting from blademag.com, “The world’s only shrine to the giants of the entire knife industry, the BLADE Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame is reserved for the best of the best.”

Every year knives exhibited at BLADE Show surpass those seen previously. And every year Jim Cooper expertly captures their beauty and excellence for web and print broadcast to the whole world.

It is said, “Seeing is believing” or “See one, do one, teach one” etc. Coop makes sure the world sees. Every year makers see what’s actually possible and expand their own visions. Their customers see Coop’s images, as do dealers, publishers and manufacturers etc. Every year expectations swell and standards are raised.

How many years, how many beautiful and powerful images, how many makers inspired, how many knives sold, how many nationalities represented at BLADE Show, how many knife enthusiasts thrilled by Coop’s BLADE Show knife images? Does the knife industry have a better, harder working, more dedicated and productive long-time friend than Jim Cooper?

I sincerely hope that Jim Cooper’s monumental contributions will soon be officially recognized by induction into the BLADE Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame.

Nomination and voting is by living Hall of Fame members only and limited to one inductee per year. Quoting from blademag.com, “The world’s only shrine to the giants of the entire knife industry, the BLADE Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame is reserved for the best of the best.”

Hear Hear

I could not agree more

Jim deserves the highest accolades

Last edited:
just amazing. Knives and Photography.

Tom Ploppert is well known (rightly so) for his traditional folders, but that fixed blade is beyong stunning.

On the Fourth of July I would like to thank the Younts family for their service. The commissioned "Honor Knife" is absolutely stunning. My eyes welled up reading the history. Bravo to the Younts and Master Smith Harvey Dean!

Hear hear! Long, slow clap for this post.

This page alone was an epic visual treat. Dean's Dagger and Horrigan's Persian knocked my socks off. Loved Derrick's damascus bowie. And that slick Lynch fighter really put a smile on my face.

Buddy, Ron, Joe, Roger: Thank you.

Buddy, you are especially kind and endearing. Your words are humbling and yet I need to agree on at least ONE count: I work HARD for our community. Because, like you agree, we are worth it.

I missed adding this one. Joe JParanee JParanee has a whole thread devoted to it, and David was smart enough to have me chronicle it.

orig.jpg

Coop comes blazing through as always, I mean ALWAYS. I heartily endorse his inclusion in the Cutlery Hall of Fame even though I cannot vote. He is more than deserving for his contributions in moving the industry forward........and he is my good friend ALWAYS.

Paul

Back