2019 ICCE Show - BIG Texas hospitality *and* talent

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The ICCE Show moved from Kansas City to Fort Worth Texas this year. The move was spearheaded and led by noted maker Jerry Moen, who convinced those in charge the move would be rewarding and attract even MORE interest. They placed him in charge. From what I experienced, his aim was sharp.

standard.jpg

Susan and I were invited late last year, and I gratefully accepted. I have a slew of makers who were pleased to have us serve them. Yes SIR!

Here's what this historic district looks like. It's one Western shop or 'honky-tonk' bar or steakhouse after another. Each one trying to outdo each other.
orig.jpg

This is REAL 'Cowtown' Texas, USA
orig.jpg

Friday eve: Susan and I spent two enjoyable hours watching live rodeo at the Colosseum.
orig.jpg

The actual show was held in 'Stockyards Station', a historic converted set of stalls and livestock arena.
orig.jpg

The actual Show Room had actual brick floors and warm old beams. (Sorry I did not capture the busy show with a shot. I'll edit with one as soon as I get one.)
orig.jpg

There was an adjacent room which had a few other vendors and the Guild inspection area. Here is where we were set up. You could not miss us, OR my persistent flash photography. ;)
orig.jpg

We were busy from midday on Thursday until 5pm on Saturday. It was a PRIVILEGE to shoot the knives at this venue, and many of the makers were fresh to my lens.

The makers were asked to submit knives for (9) categories for the ICCE at a steakhouse on Thursday evening, where there were ballots to vote for your favorite in their category. So the voting was done by peers and attendees. 'Peoples Choice!'

Next post are the winners. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

'Best Art Knife' - Todd Begg
This knife was LETHAL and BIG. Every point was razor sharp. and then that guillotine blade in handle....
orig.jpg

'Best Damascus' - Larry Cox, JS
Great to see a Journey smith win this prestigious award!
orig.jpg

'Best Fixed Blade' - Josh Fisher, JS
KaPOW!
orig.jpg

'Best Bowie Knife' - Tommy Gann, JS
So deserving.
orig.jpg

'Best Hunter' - JW Randall, MS
I missed shooting this piece because it left the show early, but fortunately Tammy Randall had taken a GREAT photo of it. Here it is:
orig.jpg

More.....

'Best Combat Knife' - JW Randall, MS
Well this one I didn't miss! Check out the wrought iron spacer....
orig.jpg

'Best Collaboration' - Dennis Friedly / Gil Rudolph
This had us all 'oohing and ahhing'.
orig.jpg

'Best Folding Knife' - Tom Overeynder
Tom's knives are SO precise. What a pleasure to handle.
orig.jpg

'Best of Show' - Jim Sornberger
Jim had entered this in the Art Knife category, and when Todd won, Jim shrugged admiringly and said "Well, maybe next time." Later they announced the BIGGEST prize. You should have seen him light up! :p :thumbsup::thumbsup:
orig.jpg

^^^ This knife had SO much detail, I took a chance to show the knife blade this way. I thought the sheath dominated the view. Do you agree?

I have MANY more knives to edit and show. I jumped on the Award knives first just to hit the ground running. I will update as I go along. This will be a long ride!

We are so glad you came to Texas, Jim. Looking forward to the pictures. As a table holder, it was too busy to get around to see the other guys work in the level of detail that your pictures will provide.

Richard338 Richard338 Thank you for your second set of eyes. o_O :thumbsup: Refresh the page and I've corrected that.

Others: Thank YOU!

R.M. Green - Covington, TX
orig.jpg

Frank Hunter - Elizabethtown, KY
orig.jpg

Travis Payne - Telephone, TX
orig.jpg

Jerry Moen - Dallas, TX
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

That's it for a while. I will resume editing in a couple of days. I hope you are enjoying these maker's work!

Coop,
Thanks for the info of the event.
Great pictures!
Mitch

The one of mine is better with the full story. Twice a year I make a knife with Texas historical materials. The knife Jim shot so well features my Damascus of 1084/15n20. The guard is wrought iron from the first railroad into Dallas, 1872. The dark spacers are blued mild steel from the gate of the cemetery at Raynor, Tx, a town that only existed 1889-1906. The silver spacer is a 1836 half dollar, as a nod to the year of Texas’ independence. The wood is live oak cut in 1858 by the Ellison family, built into a cabin that was in a documented Indian fight in 1864. The main details are laser engraved on the box.

Wow, I enjoyed seeing this. Some of those award winners really tickle me. I was at the stockyards and the rodeo when I was little. Somewhere between 10-13 years old (cannot remember). I like seeing you take another image (Randall) and put it in your frame. Well done. No joke, but both knives with texas wind style damascus play tricks on my eyes when I move the screen up and down. The venue seems nice looking, but id imagine it being a bit loud and tiring to stand on for a while. Thanks for the show!

Back