2019 Summer Kitchen Kith New deadline 02 November

Which profiles from the following do you prefer for the kith? Pick two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got it done.
Handle is box elder/wenge
Saya also box elder
Sharpened to 15 dps

Attachments

• F943147F-F809-4DDB-9223-E43F1D4AA5AF.jpeg
    F943147F-F809-4DDB-9223-E43F1D4AA5AF.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 51
  • 595286A4-0ABB-4CC4-85C6-E41F87C6A93A.jpeg
    595286A4-0ABB-4CC4-85C6-E41F87C6A93A.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 55
  • E778F7CF-C8C0-4B83-80DB-F4C984805957.jpeg
    E778F7CF-C8C0-4B83-80DB-F4C984805957.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 52
  • 339F5E8F-A7D4-4CFB-A7AA-19004488D320.jpeg
    339F5E8F-A7D4-4CFB-A7AA-19004488D320.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 50
Sam, that’s a gorgeous knife!

I’m on a marathon tomorrow to get mine done. If I muss the deadline, I’ll do a draw and send mine as a bonus after.

Kim
Got it done.
Handle is box elder/wenge
Saya also box elder
Sharpened to 15 dps
kim, great knife! I’ll rig the draw so you and I don’t get each other’s knives as we can compare any time. I hope no one has an issue with that. Learning is my highest priority in these kiths. Kim and I live 10 min apart.

Sam, that’s a gorgeous knife!

I’m on a marathon tomorrow to get mine done. If I muss the deadline, I’ll do a draw and send mine as a bonus after.

Thank you, Warren!

I wouldn't think there would be any issue extending the deadline another week or 2, if it helps a few others finish.

Beautiful knife Sam. A couple of questions.
The edge bevels look wide. Is it sharped like that or did you just stop the etch there?
How did you do the bubble look, with nail polish?

Beautiful knife Sam. A couple of questions.
The edge bevels look wide. Is it sharped like that or did you just stop the etch there?
How did you do the bubble look, with nail polish?

Thank you, Bob!

I stopped the etch about ¼" from the edge. The edge is ground slightly convex to 0.003/0.005" before sharpening.

I used lacquer to paint the edge & randomly splatter on the blade, then etched it for about 90 minutes in a ferric chloride & vinegar mix. Scotchbrite belt & buffed with black compound after the etch.

I was trying to come up with a way to break the vacuum of food stuck to a perfectly smooth blade. It seems to have helped, but didn't totally eliminate it. I think it would be about perfect if this had an S-grind, or maybe a bit more convexity before the etch. I've never attempted an S-grind before, but would like to when I get a bigger contact wheel (10" is the biggest I currently have).

Who knows though - maybe the etch is total BS & doesn't really do anything! o_O:D

Edit: I’ll extend the deadline to November 2nd. That should get a few more people finished up, without rushing. My real job has been the busiest it’s ever been this summer/early fall. I normally have tons of time in August and September, but I’ve been run off of my feet. We normally do 0-2 new assessments in that time frame, and I’ve been getting 2-3/week on average. I’ve done five new assessments in one week!
A couple people moved shops this summer, so I think we can buy ourselves some time.

I got 220 in my shop now! I had it in my garage, but have been setting up the shop over the last few months. Moved the grinder, heat treat oven, and welder last week. Wrong plug in installed by the electrician 10 years ago. Bought more plugs, wire, and set it up.

Now to get the kith knife done!

Nov 2 would be a great help for me.
Beautiful knives folks!

I made two, and neither one makes the grade. I just can't seem to get my freehand technique back after the injury.
My apologies for not being able to participate, Warren you have done a great job hosting this and J.T.'s contribution is valued. Hopefully I will have things sorted out by next KITH.

Just a reminder, deadline is tomorrow at Midnite. I’ll squeak in under the wire. Working on the Saya today. Handle shaping tomorrow.

Sorry guys! I didn't make it! Just too much going on in real life to make it all work.

Really you're not missing much, it's my first go at a chefs knife and I'm not sure it's up to par anyway!

I’ll figure out who completed their knives this evening. I have mine done, less sharpening, which I will do today. I’ll do the draw tonight as well.

Back