2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

I love the unfinished wood on my Ray Rantanen custom fixed blade knives, since 2002. I throw all those stupid tubes & knife boxes in yellow large "Bo Jangles" boxes. I got knives strung out all over the place. I will grab any knife and use it. I do not force patina , I just use it. I write "Thank You " letters to Bill Howard all the time since 2018. In every letter , I begged for no stain and a satin finish on wood knives. Bill Howard listened to me on the #47 & #74 GEC knives. I told yall , hand written letter writing works. Use the knife like a toy and enjoy it. Buying a knife to hang on the wall or store in a safe ,is no fun to me. Buying knives for idol worship or investment is no fun. Life is so short. Enjoy the knife. "Kiss it , talk to it , clean it , lose it , find it , clean it , oil it and name it. The more you use those unfinished knives the better they will look and you will love it more.. Don't blame and dog pile on Bill Howard. He listens to his customers. Hand Letter writing works. I am gonna get a behind chewing now ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! ha ! If a Chinese made knife bites you , take it outside and beat it with a hammer. Have fun !
Thanks for writing those letters!!! Im with you on the all knives are users train! I haven't kissed or named any of my knives yet, but I do have a lot of beer in my fridge... Never say never!

I would’ve really liked to get my hands on the micarta version, wasn’t interested in the ironwood.

My collection is complete. I love burlap micarta! Had to polish up the 47 like I did the 74, now they are sweet!! Very fortunate to have had the chance to get both of these!
vM5GWEU.jpg
QiJLVVJ.jpg

Well, I got the two that I wanted. Neither are perfect in fit or finish, but both are quite acceptable overall. If I decide to keep them, I'll probably give them a bit of final finishing before I throw em in the pocket. I'm definitely warming to the ironwood the more I look at it.
b0N3Txy.jpg

KgbJViE.jpg

I think it is very cool that they did the partner covers. I was fortunate enough to match up my Burlap 74 with a 47.
The Viper has a 6 pull and is very snappy. This pair is a good match. The F&F is spot on and as you can see a little pocket polish really makes that Micarta pop.

UDghoIh.jpg

I'll give you a hint ! Call the oldest GEC dealer(75) on the phone tomorrow. If he can't help you out . He can put you on the pre-order list for one knife on the next run. If you hate the run , just let him know ASAP to cancel and get him to put you on the next run blindly. As soon as you know which knife that you want , you call him again. Buying blind , keeps you ahead of the game. I am learning to stay ahead of the game. "GEC Knife Collecting is War !" God uses the fool to teach the wise ! Baw -ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

He's the oldest GEC dealer because he is 75 years old himself?
That is maybe the most misleading statement I have seen from you this week :D

Well, I got the two that I wanted. Neither are perfect in fit or finish, but both are quite acceptable overall. If I decide to keep them, I'll probably give them a bit of final finishing before I throw em in the pocket. I'm definitely warming to the ironwood the more I look at it.
b0N3Txy.jpg

KgbJViE.jpg
So beautiful I could cry ! Man , I am happy for you !

Last edited:
I think it is very cool that they did the partner covers. I was fortunate enough to match up my Burlap 74 with a 47.
The Viper has a 6 pull and is very snappy. This pair is a good match. The F&F is spot on and as you can see a little pocket polish really makes that Micarta pop.

UDghoIh.jpg
Fantastic. They really do match up well. I got two good ones!

Similar to what Shrek once asked Donkey: You have the right to be silent, but do you have the capacity? :D
Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I have never seen a Shrek movie ! I am a "Looney Tunes" guy ! Chuck Jones , Mel Blanc , Friz Freleng , Tex Avery , and Bob Clampett are my favorites. The early Road Runner Cartoons are the best ever. (edit) OK , Mr. Mike . I just proved your point ! You win ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Back