2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

I have the Snakewood , Blue Camel bone , and the Desert Ironwood #62. My Great Eastern Cutlery Dealer called me on the phone today. So I have the Goldenrod camel bone square bar shield GEC#62 Easy Pocket Congress on the way to me now. I am done on #62s. I need to save for the #23 Jumbo Trappers coming up next.

Here are some pics of my family of 62's.... the blue camel is very evenly matched... very pleasing. The ironwood has very nice grain structure, which might enable it to nudge my satin unicorn out of the "favorite" position... maybe.

jAl5ak.jpg
jAlfXD.jpg

jAlc4A.jpg
jAlXNM.jpg

jAlyLe.jpg
jAlUrq.jpg
That Ironwood is Krazy !

Surprised you like it better than your red jigged bone. So far thats my favorite and you got one with nice color.
I got a natural micarta specifically as a primary user. But I like the pattern so much I have no doubt they'll all get used.
My red jigged bone is very nice too. I had a feeling when I saw photos of the maroon micarta that it would be my favorite. Smooth, dark with grain just visible and tough. Love the oak leaf shield. Transitions and blade positions and actions are right on. Couldn’t ask for better.

My red jigged bone is very nice too. I had a feeling when I saw photos of the maroon micarta that it would be my favorite. Smooth, dark with grain just visible and tough. Love the oak leaf shield. Transitions and blade positions and actions are right on. Couldn’t ask for better.

It pleases me you are pleased sir! It is a good looking blade to be sure.

Blue?? camel bone DLT 62. Wife likes it but I am extremely disappointed. The grey squares are a Color Checker, a certified reference to ensure accurate color. To add insult to injury, in my comments to DLT on the order I requested dark blue, looks I got the lightest one they had
1f641.png
IMO this should never have made it out the door at GEC without being marked a 2nd. Send it back? Trade it? Nothing wrong except the color and that's subjective but certainly not what I expected.

GEC62bluecamelbone-1.jpg

GEC62bluecamelbone-2.jpg

in my comments to DLT on the order I requested dark blue
I never figured dealers payed much attention to requests.
I doubt they search their entire inventory of a particular knife to find just the right one.
I once sent an email to a retailer asking if he could pick me out a knife with a centered blade and minimal gaps.
His response was basically, They're all the same and you get what you get.

Here are some pics of my family of 62's.... the blue camel is very evenly matched... very pleasing. The ironwood has very nice grain structure, which might enable it to nudge my satin unicorn out of the "favorite" position... maybe.

jAl5ak.jpg
jAlfXD.jpg

jAlc4A.jpg
jAlXNM.jpg

jAlyLe.jpg
jAlUrq.jpg
That Ironwood is Krazy !
Blue?? camel bone DLT 62. Wife likes it but I am extremely disappointed. The grey squares are a Color Checker, a certified reference to ensure accurate color. To add insult to injury, in my comments to DLT on the order I requested dark blue, looks I got the lightest one they had
1f641.png
IMO this should never have made it out the door at GEC without being marked a 2nd. Send it back? Trade it? Nothing wrong except the color and that's subjective but certainly not what I expected.

GEC62bluecamelbone-1.jpg

GEC62bluecamelbone-2.jpg
That knife is beautiful ! Go to EVIL-bay and buy some Fiebing's leather dye navy blue. Popped it a few times. Blue dye will come off in your hand for a little while. But it will fade to an awesome patina. Take a leap of faith a pop it with navy blue dye. I have used black dye on light brown bone to improve my oily creek bone and frontier bone knives. My light aqua #12 camel bone toothpick came out wonderful after a navy blue dye application.

1f641.png

GEC62bluecamelbone-1.jpg

GEC62bluecamelbone-2.jpg
I saw a lot of light colored ones in a picture of the production process and that was the reason I was not tempted to shag one. I’d try the blue dye as well.

Blue?? camel bone DLT 62. Wife likes it but I am extremely disappointed.
At least the scales appear matched well and fairly uniform in shade, though certainly not blue. I’d say it looks better than the white/blue splotchy pattern I’ve seen in quite a few other blue camel bone knives, but I agree it’s nowhere near blue.
Unique for sure...

+1 to JohnDF JohnDF - say a dealer got 100 knives. How many of those would you think they would open up, compare, unwrap, close and ship off? I think you’d be lucky to get them to compare 5 and send the best one your way. Not to mention who knows what selection was left by the time you got it, Chief Chief .

If it makes you feel any better, that’s the most dynamic dye job on covers I’ve ever seen. Looks like a healing bruise, which is far more interesting than a solid blue smooth scale.

send it back if you must, but I think it’s cool. If I was interested in the EZ pocket version I’d buy it off of you.

I never figured dealers payed much attention to requests.
I doubt they search their entire inventory of a particular knife to find just the right one.
I once sent an email to a retailer asking if he could pick me out a knife with a centered blade and minimal gaps.
His response was basically, They're all the same and you get what you get.

I know of two dealers that will look through knives to get a good one.

I can guess which one said "you get what you get".

It's an SFO so good work on figuring out that one.

So a dealer gets 50 stag knives in and 5 of them have popcorn, and then everyone requests popcorn. What is the dealer to do at this point? Asking for a friend.

I don't know who you buy from, but I just picked a knife, my knife, from a picture about thirty minutes ago.

I also have a very narrow group I buy from, two of them have always gotten me exactly what I asked for. Every time.

Tell your friend to find a dealer and send him some business and take care of him, and maybe he'll do the same? IDK

I even ask DLT to check the function, grind, etc every time and although most popular brands are good I have been taken care of every time.

I don't know who you buy from, but I just picked a knife, my knife, from a picture about thirty minutes ago.

I also have a very narrow group I buy from, two of them have always gotten me exactly what I asked for. Every time.

Tell your friend to find a dealer and send him some business and take care of him, and maybe he'll do the same? IDK

I even ask DLT to check the function, grind, etc every time and although most popular brands are good I have been taken care of every time.
Why you mad bro?

Don't worry about how my friend gets his knives, he gets every knife he wants and doesn't have to worry about scrambling for drops. Also has not gotten a bad one yet, so there is that.

Back to knife content.
The Carver's blades are looking shorter than this and IMO that is a good thing.
XkbNn5q.jpg

Why you mad bro?

Don't worry about how my friend gets his knives, he gets every knife he wants and doesn't have to worry about scrambling for drops. Also has not gotten a bad one yet, so there is that.

Back to knife content.
The Carver's blades are looking shorter than this and IMO that is a good thing.
XkbNn5q.jpg

Me? I'm not mad. I've got it sorted out. You are the one asking questions. I was just answering them.

Back