2020... is it hard for you too?

For myself and my family, I can't complain. No deaths, no crippling infections, and most of us are retired so only one has lost his job. Instead of substitute teaching in Chicago, he will be driving a school bus if the suburban schools reopen (and that's a big if).

That substitute teacher is substituting, not driving. He substitutes by remote learning every day, either from home or by driving to the school and doing the remote from there. Yesterday he drove to a high school in our neighborhood and we saw him for lunch. He said he needed to change his direct deposit and he wanted a school's clerk to do it. I believe him, but I think he was getting bored at home. He said there was a skeleton crew at the school. He saw the principal and the office clerk, a few security guards — no Chicago cops — a few maintenance loafers, and a half dozen teachers. Some of them didn't bother masking. Well, teaching an empty classroom and walking to the toilet, I wouldn't bother either!

2020 has been bad for me, but not as bad as for many others. I worked from home already, so no real change there. I've seen a slight slowdown in business, but nothing catastrophic. Kind of amazed that my clients keep sending me work.

Worst thing for me is not even related to the Wuhan Chinese Flu: my sister's only daughter died at 30 years old in an auto accident in August, and my sister (who is divorced from her drunk ex-husband) has been devastated in too many ways to list. She is angry at God and feels she has nothing left to look forward to in life now that she will never see her daughter give her grandchildren. I have tried to help her, but with limited success.

Also tough on my daughter who is a college sophomore 2000 miles from home with no "real" classes due to the Wuhan Chinese Flu. and very little opportunities for social interaction with fellow students.

The people I feel the worst for are the young people aged, say, 14 to 24. They are being denied soooooo many momentous and formative experiences of their lives (at least around here) which they will NEVER get back. High school sports; high school band, orchestra, music, clubs, intramural programs, proms, homecomings, dances . . . meeting new friends . . . graduation festivities. All gone. Freshman year in college? No. College graduation ceremony? No. Good jobs when you graduate college with that shiny degree? Mostly no. A crumbled economy and mountains of national debt awaiting you.

This whole thing has messed up pretty much everyone's life, and I'm angry about it every day, and I don't understand why everyone else seems resigned to accept it and are not angrier and demanding explanations (and apologies) from China for how this all happened. I don't believe it was intentional, but if I accidentally crash my car into yours and kill your kids, at least I would have the decency to feel miserable about it and apologize. They . . . don't.

The people I feel the worst for are the young people aged, say, 14 to 24. They are being denied soooooo many momentous and formative experiences of their lives (at least around here) which they will NEVER get back. High school sports; high school band, orchestra, music, clubs, intramural programs, proms, homecomings, dances . . . meeting new friends . . . graduation festivities. All gone. Freshman year in college? No. College graduation ceremony? No. Good jobs when you graduate college with that shiny degree? Mostly no.

I never got to experience such things growing up either, even long before this wuhan crap developed. Missing out on such never did me any harm.

I never got to experience such things growing up either, even long before this wuhan crap developed. Missing out on such never did me any harm.
You literally don't know that. You only know what and where you are now. You have no idea what and where you would be if you had those opportunities. Especially the meeting new friends part.

Yeah, 2020 is just a dumpster fire all around. For both the individual, as well as the world at large.

Me personally? Yeah, I’m out of work, and will be till at least mid-spring (providing I stay in the same industry). My poor daughter is spending her first year in middle school at a computer, at a desk in her room. Vacations have been canceled, as well as special events, or just doing all those things in daily life we used to do. And to top it all off, my dog of 13 years passed in June.

But guess what, I ain’t complaining one bit. My wife is still working (from home) and makes enough to support us, even once my unemployment runs out. We paid off one vehicle just before all this, and the other one will be paid off in another month or two. I quit smoking. I’m in the best shape of my life because I get to work out daily, and now cook almost every meal. Being home full time has allowed me to focus on training a new puppy, as well as spend a ton more time with my daughter and wife. And no one I know personally has gotten sick or died from this damn virus.

I may not be in an ideal situation, but damn if I’m not fairing better than a lot of people are right now. So I’ll thank my lucky stars and wish nothing but the best for everyone else.

This. Making Lemonade.

Yes it is hard. Staying objective and not getting bogged down in the politics of it all has worked for me. Seems everyone wants to take a "side".

My perception of the type of folk on this forum is: they are a hardy lot who are prepared for the world through experience and preparation.

You literally don't know that. You only know what and where you are now. You have no idea what and where you would be if you had those opportunities. Especially the meeting new friends part.

Maybe not. But I can make an educated guess, based on what I've read about the experiences of others who did have such opportunities.

A part of me really feel guilty saying this, but this is the best year of my life. The bad parts have been really bad, but the good parts are just that good for me. A year of extremes, in every way.

My dog died. Dad had a massive heart attack, but survived. Wife lost her job due to Covid. I'm losing my job in about a month (not covid related). Bills are stacking up and not getting paid. I have had some weird health problems pop up (probably due to stress).

But all in all, I still have a lot to be thankful for. God provides. It'll all be okay!

I really hate my job but I know I should be thankful I have one. 2020 has made it worse and Microsoft Teams is the worst.
You stuck with Microsoft teams, too? How did that happen? Did Microsoft pay off all the IT guys to cram it done everyone's throats? I truly despise it, and so do my counterparts at my clients, but management is forcing it upon everyone it seems.

My dog died. Dad had a massive heart attack, but survived. Wife lost her job due to Covid. I'm losing my job in about a month (not covid related). Bills are stacking up and not getting paid. I have had some weird health problems pop up (probably due to stress).

But all in all, I still have a lot to be thankful for. God provides. It'll all be okay!
Wow. Sorry to hear about all that. Some real tough breaks. But as long as you're confident it'll all be okay . . . then great. Hoping for a better 2021 for you . . . for most everyone.

You stuck with Microsoft teams, too? How did that happen? Did Microsoft pay off all the IT guys to cram it done everyone's throats? I truly despise it, and so do my counterparts at my clients, but management is forcing it upon everyone it seems.
Initially we used Zoom. It worked sooooo much better. Teams is a shit-show with new problems almost daily.

It is my opinion that software is chosen by people who do not think about the common worker bees of the company, They just fall in love with some concept and the fact that the concept has nothing to do with what most of their workers do on a daily basis never occurs to them.

Initially we used Zoom. It worked sooooo much better. Teams is a shit-show with new problems almost daily.

Well of course. It's a Microsoft Product.

Back on topic.
I still have a job, but we've had huge layoffs due to the downturn in aerospace. The few of us that are left can't possibly begin to cope with the flood of work that those we've lost used to perform.

My business dropped to about 15 percent of where we were last year.

Food and commodities production will likely show negative impact next year. Our AG sectors usually only produce enough product to sustain one year’s supply.

Plants and animals that we eat need constant and continual cultivation. There are no secret and hidden food storage facilities that keep enough food on hand to meet a year’s worth demand to meet the global supply chain requirements.

Buckle up everyone!

On the flip side, spending more time with family has been good, despite the loss of income.

We have been refocusing on what things are important, and appreciating the little things more.

Taking more time talking with The Man Upstairs.

My business dropped to about 15 percent of where we were last year.

Food and commodities production will likely show negative impact next year. Our AG sectors usually only produce enough product to sustain one year’s supply.

Plants and animals that we eat need constant and continual cultivation. There are no secret and hidden food storage facilities that keep enough food on hand to meet a year’s worth demand to meet the global supply chain requirements.

Buckle up everyone!
Wow. How did we get here? Even Jacob and Pharoah managed to stock up seven years worth of food for a famine.

I cannot go into restaurants (only for take away), cinemas or visit concerts. Family visits are virtual (to keep my elderly father safe), Social gatherings with friends from all over are also virtual.
These were the only issues here. I go to the office everyday, work normal 40hrs. My wife works from home, no issues with that, as she does not have to commute 2hrs every day.
However, the diesel price dropped under 1€ - that was positive. When shopping - wearing a mask is tolerable, and distancing is quite good when at the register.

So here in Germany, even with quite high numbers and the second lockdown, we cope fairly well. Businesses that were shut down are getting 75% of last years revenue.
The flu season pretty much is not happening this year as everyone washes his hands and is quite compliant with DHM (distance hygiene mask) recommendations / rules.

There is nothing to complain about, so many people have it harder.

I've been alone for almost 10 months now. I used to enjoy my solitude but even for me this is hard.

The worst thing is not being able to travel to see my family. My Mom turns 90 in January and I won't be there for that. It looks like I won't be able to see them until 2022. Very tough.

Here we have had a lot of political unrest, crime and economic problems which I am sure will only get worse. Covid has exposed all the weaknesses of a one party state. Along with that comes huge future insecurity.

I had a lot of plans this time last year. One of the hardest things is putting everything on hold indefinitely.:confused:

However all in all when I look at the situation of others I consider myself very lucky. Hopefully this time next year all will be different........:thumbsup:

Back