2020 New Knives Resolution

I have a bunch of nice traditional knives, so my 2020 resolution will be to buy less and put the ones that I have to more use. We'll see how that turns out.
Also, as a person who's north of 70 years old, I find Old Hunters resolution of cataloging knives for heirs is an excellent idea. That idea has crossed my mind several times, and it shall be done this year.

Resolutions, like wind, are to be broken :D:eek:

I know what I like but don't always know how to get it ;)

Need a user version of the 93 Ramsfoot in Coco, a Micarta or Bone one would do. Would like a Spear White Owl as all mine are Clips, a blade I like much less. The 62 GEC release interests me a lot but being over in Europe it's not going to be easy if there's some insane stampede. One resolution I won't break is that I will never order a knife unseen, how do I know if the Stag is up to standard, the bone the colour and jigging I like, ditto acrylic colours? Then there's what shield?

Would like to use more of what I've got and keep them in order-chaos is my metier;) Plus there's a house-move on the cards, hate that as you lose stuff.

Reactions: AnW
Trade some, sell some carry a lot?

Really want to get some more stag in my collection....:cool: I also think helping other people enjoy or start collecting traditionals!

Really I think that's it.

Buy fewer, sell more, carry the best. I have found that I enjoy carrying my favorite knives more, even though I enjoy variety. I simply found myself asking why I was toting a knife that I enjoyed less than others I left home?

Pretty much status quo. And I renewed my gold membership today - definitely worth it to me.

I do not make New Years resolutions. My current short-medium range goals include saving money, so not really purchasing knives. And I’ve completed the reduction phase, decreasing my total number by 2/3 over the last couple years; that’s about as far as I’m going to take it.

I’m happy with a nice grouping of my favorites. I’ll try to carry each more frequently (as people have mentioned, “have less, use more”). May look to add a small traditional fixed with hiking, camping, backpacking in mind. There’s a maker who posts here that I may want to contact sometime.

Here’s what I have with me now - others are tucked away with a friend until I finish some traveling I have been doing. Old pic from the pile thread:

6272DB94-C0CB-4B94-AB9C-84DB9F214D6F.jpeg

My knife plans for 2020 involve focusing on rebuilding my traditional collection. 2017-2019 was rough on my traditional knife stock, I ended up selling almost all of my slip joints to fund more modern knife purchases. I started perusing the the porch again and have a renewed interest in carrying and using slip joints. Looking back at some of my old photos here I really regret letting go of some of those GEC and northwoods ( especially those beer scouts) . I have been lucky enough to score a few new knives from the exchange to help get me back into the slip joint game including a sfo TC15 barlow.

Cheers to all you folks here in the porch and may you all have a safe and prosperous new year.

As others have said, I’m not in the habit of making resolutions for the new year.

With that said, I recently noticed that I’ve been neglecting some of my knives. I’ve greatly enjoyed rotating them into my pocket, and I hope to continue this habit in 2020.

Back