2020 prices

Sal Glesser Sal Glesser

I appreciate your dialogue on this forum and especially in this thread. You don't really owe anyone any reason on how you're running your business. It is nice to know you're listening.

With that being said I have 4 Golden Colorado knives being delivered this week. Really excited about them as they will all be new steels that I haven't tried before.

Thanx BMC. We see this forum as an "Oasis" for information and understanding about our company, products, staff, etc. We try to run a model company in all areas and were willing to share what we've learned so others may learn as well.

Hope you enjoy your new knives. Let us know what you think?

sal

I feel cheated. My COLA'd pension only went up 1.6%, so nothing should go up in price more than that. :p

(If only things worked that way. :rolleyes:)

And I’m sure their ever improving manufacturing capabilities makes this worse...20 years ago things like Kizer and We would have been a fantasy.

Good on Spyderco for trying to stay as “American” as possible, but I won’t fault them for doing what they need to do to survive (and thrive). Sadly, I think some people are deluded by the belief in “American exceptionalism” especially when it comes to industry. Reality is that we are nothing exceptional and have lagged behind many other countries for some time as far as evolving to keep on the forefront.

It sounds like Sal and Eric are trying to do what they can to evolve and compete effectively in a changing world and it’s great to see that. By contrast, you have people like Emerson who keep raising prices while quality falls, post long diatribes blaming millennials and Muslims for everything and then quietly making big bucks from Chinese made licensed products via Kai.

In my view, the best Spyderco models are made in Taichung, with Golden close behind. Seki and China are about equal well behind that. Seki and Golden make the best “users” (I don’t really buy Chinese since I avoid 8CR) and Taichung the best “because it can be done” knives like the Drunken.
I don’t get why people like Kizers and We’s...

And I’m sure their ever improving manufacturing capabilities makes this worse...20 years ago things like Kizer and We would have been a fantasy.

Good on Spyderco for trying to stay as “American” as possible, but I won’t fault them for doing what they need to do to survive (and thrive). Sadly, I think some people are deluded by the belief in “American exceptionalism” especially when it comes to industry. Reality is that we are nothing exceptional and have lagged behind many other countries for some time as far as evolving to keep on the forefront.

It sounds like Sal and Eric are trying to do what they can to evolve and compete effectively in a changing world and it’s great to see that. By contrast, you have people like Emerson who keep raising prices while quality falls, post long diatribes blaming millennials and Muslims for everything and then quietly making big bucks from Chinese made licensed products via Kai.

In my view, the best Spyderco models are made in Taichung, with Golden close behind. Seki and China are about equal well behind that. Seki and Golden make the best “users” (I don’t really buy Chinese since I avoid 8CR) and Taichung the best “because it can be done” knives like the Drunken.

I agree with much of your post, except in my case, I rate the Seki models well above the China-made models. I can’t personally rate the Taichung models, as the only one I have is my Caribbean. Its detent is not as solid-feeling as those on my Golden compression locks, but it doesn’t fall open even when I shake it, so there is that, and otherwise it is flawless.

I genuinely feel that, among American manufacturers of any product, Spyderco’s Golden models do stand out as exceptional and are competitive quality-wise among products made anywhere in the world. There are other American manufacturers who are content to rely on reputation and continue doing the same thing year after year after year and fall behind; then you have Spyderco, which is constantly evolving and working to improve their product.

Jim

I don’t get why people like Kizers and We’s...

If you want to keep thinking That way don’t ever try a WE knife . I got my first one a month ago of the exchange. Just wanted to try a Something different and my first reaction was how can they make this knife for the price they are charging. For the price of a Military you get a way much bang for your buck with WE and that goes for benchmade to .

Last edited:
If you want to keep thinking That way don’t ever try a WE knife . I got my first one a month ago of the exchange. Just wanted to try a Something different and my first reaction was how can they make this knife for the price they are charging. For the price of a Military you get a way much bang for your buck with WE and that goes for benchmade to .
I’ve handled models of both companies, watched reviews of their knives, etc. Different pokes for different folks and all of that.

So, I'm not one to ever complain or question price increases as I know how business works.

But wow, I'm a little surprised! I was just browsing online and thinking about finally pulling the trigger on a Chef. I've been eyeing one ever since the initial release because of the LC200n and Ti scales. Well, I added it to the cart to checkout and after tax it comes to $250. Wow, I think I'll hold off for a bit...

What did the Spydiechef sell for when released? Maybe I'm just in shock but I recall it being around $180? Maybe I'm wrong, as I am quite often. Haha

Not sure how hard or costly it is to achieve a finish on such as the Slysz Bowie but know if they replicate this on the SpydieChef I'd be all over it. That goes for a Para 2, a Para 3, Manix 2, and many other models. Also love CTS-XHP!

Is Spyderco not sitting back and aching watching the Slysz Bowie for for nearly $200 more on the secondary market per knife? How much money are they LOOSING by NOT releasing a second run of these?! Even if they bump it to $450 retail and change nothing else, it is a total win for everyone (well maybe not for the customer unless around $355 for something). It seems these are even more in demand now than ever and why Spydero is not jumping on this like yesterday is beyond me. If I was head of projects, production, and execution, best believe there'd be Slysz Bowies hitting the shelves online and store by April of this year.

I myself wouldn't mind paying $450 for one but for gosh sakes, Spyderco, if you make this dream come true please, PLEASE, do not go the route of the Techno with Techno 2 and redesigned it. The Slysz is as perfect as can be. Unless of course you install a flat spot above the spydiehole, pop in a replaceable lockbar insert, and offer half-serrated versions too. But keep everything else the same.

Maybe one day this dream will come true.....:thumbsup:

There probably wont' be another Bowie or a special Chef unless someone like DLT or Blade HQ takes an interest.

This is supposed to be in the pipe. I would advise getting in on the ground floor early.

DSCF3155.jpg

In 2016 MSRP was 319.95, and there was no MAP. Starting in 2017, pricing has been (IIRC):

Year: MSRP, MAP
2017: 319.95, 191.97
2018: 329.95, 214.47
2019: 335.00, 217.75
2020: 335.00, 234.50

Ok, guess I was wrong. Thanks for posting this.

There probably wont' be another Bowie or a special Chef unless someone like DLT or Blade HQ takes an interest.

This is supposed to be in the pipe. I would advise getting in on the ground floor early.

DSCF3155.jpg
If made I’ll own and keep at least three of this.

Not sure how hard or costly it is to achieve a finish on such as the Slysz Bowie but know if they replicate this on the SpydieChef I'd be all over it. That goes for a Para 2, a Para 3, Manix 2, and many other models. Also love CTS-XHP!

Is Spyderco not sitting back and aching watching the Slysz Bowie for for nearly $200 more on the secondary market per knife? How much money are they LOOSING by NOT releasing a second run of these?! Even if they bump it to $450 retail and change nothing else, it is a total win for everyone (well maybe not for the customer unless around $355 for something). It seems these are even more in demand now than ever and why Spydero is not jumping on this like yesterday is beyond me. If I was head of projects, production, and execution, best believe there'd be Slysz Bowies hitting the shelves online and store by April of this year.

I myself wouldn't mind paying $450 for one but for gosh sakes, Spyderco, if you make this dream come true please, PLEASE, do not go the route of the Techno with Techno 2 and redesigned it. The Slysz is as perfect as can be. Unless of course you install a flat spot above the spydiehole, pop in a replaceable lockbar insert, and offer half-serrated versions too. But keep everything else the same.

Maybe one day this dream will come true.....:thumbsup:

The Bowie is highly sought and ridiculously priced in the secondary market because it is long discontinued and also greatly hyped. If Spyderco brings it back as a regular production model, well, I am sure you will pay $450 for one, but not by me and I suspect not by many others. Even as of now, I won't pay a new one for more than $300.

The Bowie is highly sought and ridiculously priced in the secondary market because it is long discontinued and also greatly hyped. If Spyderco brings it back as a regular production model, well, I am sure you will pay $450 for one, but not by me and I suspect not by many others. Even as of now, I won't pay a new one for more than $300.

I said the same thing but after getting another in hand, the hype is well-deserved. The knife is incredible for what it is and nearly the most perfect over 3" EDC folder. The thing is everyone is going to have their opinions on prices but look no further than the past 6 months for average prices on the secondary market and this alone gives away the truth. CRK upped their prices and now it is $425 - $575 for Sebenza, Inkosi, Umnumzaan etc while the Sylsz has the same or comparable materials. Only differences are the tolerances but Slysz definitely has some advantages over those CRK models so it evens everything out.

Spyderco has a chance to nearly double their profits they once made on this knife and still please many customers. It is a win-win.

Back