2020 Summer Kitchen Knife Kith

Ok. I decided I’m using the S35vn nikiri with a file worked spine. It’s 3/32” thick, 1.5” tall. Doing the rough grind now. Rc62.

Ok, rough ground at 60 grit. I’ll have to double check hardness. This might be harder than Rc62. It was almost like grinding z-wear at Rc64. Not quite, but close.

C0A75255-4CA7-45DF-9280-31BAF7F8B6F3 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

13902556-1765-4B8D-8AC8-D3F1F140C369 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

This pic shows how to blend a plunge-less FFG. This is 70/30 ground, so the flat is pretty shallow.

8C3A872C-38AE-464C-937C-4E0FFA5471D8 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

File work:

A8BAF559-7D50-4D50-ABE7-990E95FDC2D2 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

You can see the 70/30, plus D-grind with the blunt tip of the Nikiri. I’m pretty sure a nikiri isn’t supposed to be a D-grind, but this Kith knife is. I’ll figure out what it’s really called later.

1D43DBAC-8877-4722-9B5F-E5A3C7CCB4C4 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

the offset is much more obvious in hand. The grind marks create an optical illusion.

Now to pick out handle materials.....

Last edited:
HepLKAR.jpg[\img]

Started hand sanding this guy.

Sorry guys I'm going to have to drop out as well. With the boarder shut down I haven't been able to pick up my last steel order for 3 months.

I’m going to have to sit this one out. Sorry guys

I unfortunately have to drop out of this one. I don't think I will have the time to complete by Sept 1st.

Next one!

04E7E75B-9924-418E-A9DB-E81DB61670B5.jpeg 2BDF6959-DA5E-4690-ADBB-E80AEBE5B75E.jpeg I finished a knife but will still have to drop out..I had the blade heavily wrapped and wasn’t referencing enough while shaping the handle either that or it’s crooked because I glued it in backwards (end of the night dumb mistake) and had to reshape but since blade is in the opposite way that could very well be the cause too. Leaving on a business trip tomorrow morning so no time to fix or redo, sorry guys!

I'm afraid that I will have to bow out as well. Things have been crazy around here lately, and I don't think I will have the time to finish. I look forward to seeing all the finished submissions, so keep at it, those that can.

So I'm not sure I'm happy with the etching, should I sand it back to clean metal and try again?

vQLhuHw.jpg

TNnBx1Y[\img]

Before you start over, try using xxxx steel wool. Might reduce some of the heavy etch look. I wouldn’t re etch it, it’s going to patina heavily in use anyway.

Update on my progress. Both my wife and I were quite sick this past week, so I’m really pressed for time. If I’m not done in time, I will do the draw on Monday, then do another draw when mine is done, and someone will get a bonus knife. I don’t want to rush it. We got COVID tested, and it doesn’t look like we had that, but a negative confirmation might not come for a few more days. We passed the normal timeline for a positive confirmation this morning, so probably negative.

Back