2021 Summer Kitchen Kith New Deadline: August 29

I am 100% out for this year. 84 hour work week this week and it looks like 64 hour week next week, including shifts on both of my days off :(

Last edited:
Sorry y'all, I'll have to bow out of this one. Don't think I'll have the time to finish something in time unfortunately.

I made some progress today and got a handle block slotted for the tang. The wood is wenge. I'll try to shape it into a wa handle tomorrow. I got a 220 grit finish on the blade and then realized that I am out of 320 and 400 grit, so the blade finish will have to wait until next weekend.

kJWPmYI.jpg

I finished grinding mine today, first time trying a vertical belt finish on a platen. I've done it on a wheel but that's tricky, this is my best yet with a vertical belt finish. It's not perfect but with some refinement I think it'll work. Don't mind my filthy work bench that's its perpetual state.PXL_20210717_201104916_compress97.jpg

I finished grinding mine today, first time trying a vertical belt finish on a platen. I've done it on a wheel but that's tricky, this is my best yet with a vertical belt finish. It's not perfect but with some refinement I think it'll work. Don't mind my filthy work bench that's its perpetual state.View attachment 1601936
I like that. Now I have to finish something.

I finished grinding mine today, first time trying a vertical belt finish on a platen. I've done it on a wheel but that's tricky, this is my best yet with a vertical belt finish. It's not perfect but with some refinement I think it'll work. Don't mind my filthy work bench that's its perpetual state.View attachment 1601936
That looks great. What type of belt did you use?

There are only two weeks left until the deadline. I emailed with Warren and he is open to extending the deadline for two or four weeks if it would help some of us complete a knife versus dropping out. I have included everybody in the list below, even those who already said they won't make the deadline (I'm hoping we might win back some participants with a deadline extension). I would appreciate it if everybody could quickly respond with one of the options below
1. I'll be ready by the original deadline
2. I could use another four weeks
3. I won't make it even with an extended deadline

Willie71 Willie71
A.McPherson A.McPherson
H Hubert S.
FredyCro FredyCro
D Daniel Carraher
N Nick-D
Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer
C CallumRD1
imill3567 imill3567
S Storm W
S Skiller1nc
J Justin W
Travis Talboys Travis Talboys
S Shane Csepp
K Kevin Kf knives
scott kozub scott kozub
timos- timos-

1 or 2, but I will not be able to post before end of August since I will be on a trip, I hope that's fine with everybody. My blank is HTed and I will have loads of time next 10 days. The minor set back is I have sprained (and hopefully not broken) my right index finger.

1 or 2, but I will not be able to post before end of August since I will be on a trip, I hope that's fine with everybody. My blank is HTed and I will have loads of time next 10 days. The minor set back is I have sprained (and hopefully not broken) my right index finger.
I hope it is not broken and heals up quickly.

I think I can make it by the original deadline but might have to ship in a pouch instead of a saya. I will order one tomorrow just in case... I would not mind a little extra time.

If it goes to the end of August, I should be able to get back in. I have 2 weeks off from work in August and my Nitro V blanks should be back from Jarod!

If I don't get it done next week, it's not going to be done till after August. I'll let y'all know a week from Friday.

I can make it by deadline, got the blade finished out today and a handle glued on.

Wanted to check in though, knife has a crazy auto hamon, looks awesome but does have a spot that's closer to the tip than I would like. Unfortunately I wont have time to refinish it, or start another. Should still be good for many years of use for your average kitchen but if it was a keen cooks daily driver you would end up with a soft spot after a couple years solid use and sharpening.

If yall are happy for me to include it I would love to participate still but also happy to sit out if its a deal killer....
igrxsqi.jpg

Back