Important Info! 2023 KITH CLOSED -

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
When your knife is completely finished and ready for the KITH post in this thread , "I'm Ready"

Don't post until you have your knife finished and ready to ship.
If you haven't sent me your contact and shipping info yet, do it before posting in this thread.

Post a photo of the finished knife. Add details on the materials and such if you wish.
The KITH thread is here:
Please contact me with any questions.

I'm ready, ho ho ho.
Steel is Elmax @ 60 HRC, G10 handle. It's only 2.4 mm thick (thin?), and about 85 mm long blade.

lMNWycO.jpg

n8wzSAM.jpg

E9xOxGo.jpg

“Chophart”, great name!

Since I do more kitchen knives than any other type I decided I'd do a chef knife. I did this 9", actually 8.8" along the cutting edge so I rounded it to 9". I used .072" AEB-L and there is a slight taper from ricasso to tip. HT was 1975 °F, plate quenched, LN treatment with 2 tempering cycles at 350°F for a final 61 Rc.

Handle is Walnut that my brother and I cut from a tree on his farm back in '92. Hauled the logs to a local sawmill and still have some of the wood left. I guess at 30 yrs drying you could say it's "old wood"? {g} The leather sheath is 7 oz veg tanned leather.

8-chef-Knife.jpg

Deadline is approaching fast. Get those knives finished up and post "I'm Ready"

Mine is done. I will post the photos when I get back to Virginia.

I’m ready.

Camp knife
~11.5” overall 6” blade length
26C3 steel etched with hamon
Stabilized Koa scales
Red micarta liners
Black G10 pins
Leather belt sheath RH carry

Although a big knife, this one is ground thin to be more ‘slicey’ than ‘choppy’.

IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

wP9oj1s.jpeg
yKkONrt.jpeg

Just finished sharpening this thing. Weather has been horrible all day in the sunshine state, but I'll take better pictures when the light is better. Anyway, this one is ready to be sent to its new home. Some really nice knifes being posted, hope mine doesn't disappoint the new owner.

Ready for Christmas.

It's hands down my favorite kitchen knife design. It's a Japanese Petty that's on the wider side of life. Super aggressive tip for fine work, but wide enough for light chopping on the cutting board. A finger choil for choking up when needed. I like the rustic look myself, because after a few years of daily use it's gonna look that way.

Handle: 4 1/2" - Desert Ironwood and Water Buffalo
Blade: 5"
OAL: 10 1/4
Width: 0.110" distal taper
Steel: 26C3 at 64hrc
Finish: Hammered with a coffee patina
Bess Scale: 110g

IMG_7282.jpeg

IMG_7280.jpegIMG_7285.jpegIMG_7274.jpeg

PS: All the knives so far look fantastic. So glad I joined up!

Chris - that's NICE looking - tell us about the handle and blade. Is that blade San Mai? OR, perhaps go Mai? Looks like it might actually be 4 layers on each side with core? Tell us all about the knife.

Sando - what a blade! 26C3 one of my favorite steels and at 64Rc it's gonna be a slicer for sure. From the collection of blade I don't care which I get - I'll be happy :)

Back