22 Kiridashi run!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I have had a ton of requests for kiridashis lately so I'm doing a big run! I bought a bunch of steel from NJ Steel Baron and have been busy chopping and grinding. I'm making most of them from super tough 5160 steel and a few from 52100, often used as a ball bearinhg steel! :eek:

My game plan - Make a very high quality knife by hand right here in the USA and make it available to anyone who wants one quickly and for a great price.

My knives are made to last and I back them 100%.

I have a lot of Kydex coming in from a manufacturer in Oregon, steel from New Jersey, wrap material from Ohio, hardware from Minnesota and I'm grinding them here in Colorado. I'm doing my best to help this slow economy improve and make you guys something great for Thanksgiving and the start of the Holidays!

Here we go!

Great looking clean and straight steel stock!
002-2.jpg

Chopped up.
004-4.jpg

tis that all 1/4in? or 1/8in? 40 kiris??? o_O still laughing about your "it pays to discover" comment :D get back to work!! :D

tis that all 1/4in? or 1/8in? 40 kiris??? o_O still laughing about your "it pays to discover" comment :D get back to work!! :D

1/4" - The 52100 is actually .270 and my 5160 is listed as 1/4" but I'm thinking it is .262" thick as they look very close and I get a lot of .262.

Lol... :D

I'm a big fan of 52100. How wide is that stock, and how long are the pieces that you cut?

Somehow it all looks much sexier when it's a knife. ;)

Hehe.

Ya gotta use your imagination. Sometimes when I look at some steel I can see all kinds of shapes
and possibilities. When 2 people start bouncing ideas of each other, each person feeding the others
ideas.........well there's no telling what they will come up with. :triumphant:

Ya gotta use your imagination. Sometimes when I look at some steel I can see all kinds of shapes
and possibilities. When 2 people start bouncing ideas of each other, each person feeding the others
ideas.........well there's no telling what they will come up with. :triumphant:

I actually keep steel stock in my living room where I can stare at it! I'm not very good at drawing so I like to envision the knife and go grind it when it comes to me, lol. My designs often change when I feel the knife in my hand, I have an unusual design process. Right now I have a chunk of Raindrop Damascus right under my TV. :D

Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it. - Michelangelo

I think every bar of tool steel has a good one in there, lol!!! I started off with a stone cutting background so that influences my process as well...

Here are a few I made a while back in glow, red, and the matching coyote brown.

The new ones will have a hand rounded spine and underside as well as comfortable rounded edges (same look though!), they feel great in the hand! You can carry them with a standard grip, palm carry or reverse grip.

The grind is a zero bevel chisel grind with a small microbevel on the back for strength and ease of sharpening.

028rz.jpg

012cha.jpg

053mch.jpg

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while now, looks like I might have to get myself one. I'd love one in coyote just like the one in the picture.
Still waiting on my knives, the mail system on base is a joke. Expecting to get them next week though!

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while now, looks like I might have to get myself one. I'd love one in coyote just like the one in the picture.
Still waiting on my knives, the mail system on base is a joke. Expecting to get them next week though!

I am making a bunch in the coyote brown combo!

By the way if you have one on order I'm taking care of it in this run!

That's exactly how I see your work - fine pieces of steel sculpture - do your art D.Fairly!

That's exactly how I see your work - fine pieces of steel sculpture - do your art D.Fairly!

Thanks!

I was going to take the day off but the shop was calling so I worked on these for a lot of the day. I have them all rough profiled!

If I had TV here it would have been different... football all day! No reception in the mountains. Probably a good thing! :D

Is is too late to sign up for one in OD or toxic green wrap? Also, does the sheath carry horizontal?

Kaleb

Not too late at all!

As far as the wraps go even though I use a clear epoxy the resin still darkens the cord as it were wet, OD goes almost black. I could try a lighter green and it could look like OD. The OD green is the only color I have found to really darken like this. The toxic green should work well as it is already light colored. I'll soak some greens next time I use the resin and see, I have several shades of green paracord.

Horizontal carry - No problem! My sheaths are tek lok compatible and can be used in many positions of carry. I use screws and washers to hold them together so you can move hardware as you like and pry it apart for cleaning.

Email sent...

Back