$250 for a taiwan knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree! I just don't want a China or Taiwan stamp on my knives. I have a couple of knives from Europe, but most of mine are from the USA. They might be great, but they are not for me.

+1

By leaders of the nation, if such people exist.
And probably you right. This conversation belongs to different forum. But it is difficult to be silent.

I would suggest (and hope) that the leaders of our nation are "we the people". And we/they are consistently voting with our/their pocket books and election ballots...and the results are what you see.

If you have any other answers to who the leaders of the nation are (political, or corporate leaders) then I suggest that this discussion be moved elsewhere. Regardless, the minority should be heard, but the majority (even if it is a majority shareholder) shall prevail. If you want to change that part about majority shareholders having the say...be careful!

I'm pretty uncomfortable ( not in the context of because it's at this forum) with the whole dividing of America with class warfare "eat the rich!", inflaming along gender, race, religion, sexual preference, etc., etc.

It's going on and some say we are more divided than at any point since the civil war. That is a bit over the top. I don't like rhetoric like that any more than I do the ones that are acting to divide us americans. The one thing that has held us together.

No, I don't see a civil war. No, I still maintain I will never call another american an "enemy".

Unfortunately some do, and actually believe it, and some will treat others like one. Man has this country changed in my lifetime.

Joe

+1

By leaders of the nation, if such people exist.
And probably you right. This conversation belongs to different forum. But it is difficult to be silent.

Yeah it doesn't belong here really.....

it seems to me if you are willing to buy a $250 knife that you would be willing to buy a $350 knife, if the southard was made in the US and was $350 I would buy it. Most companies have their value models made overseas, so having the premium models made overseas seems strange to some of us, but thats just my opinion. from this thread I think weve determined that they are making it in taiwan because they dont have the production capacity in golden.

I think this sums up how I feel. I have no idea what the production capacity is in Golden but I am in total disagreement that it would have to be $350 if made here as was hypothesized above .
If I can buy a ZT560 with Elamax blade for $260 shipped made here in the USA I think that is a darn good measuring stick for this knife.
For the record I love all my Spyderco's I consider this to be constructive criticism. As I said before, I know Sal is reading this thread and I except that what is done is done on this knife,but I somehow doubt this will be the last model they make.
Regardless I know they will sell a ton of these knives but it's a damn shame we keep selling out our kids future to save a few bucks. Happy Fathers Day

i personally will not be buying the knife its just way to expensive for spydercos first flipper which as with all first trys will have some problems ( like the first paramilitary ). that cost is crazy and although i dont have a problem with it being made overseas i feel better knowing that at least the money is going back into us economy. there are very similar knives out there for a fraction of the cost. i dont really understand why the price is so high if its made overseas and its a flipper.

i personally will not be buying the knife its just way to expensive for spydercos first flipper which as with all first trys will have some problems ( like the first paramilitary ). that cost is crazy and although i dont have a problem with it being made overseas i feel better knowing that at least the money is going back into us economy. there are very similar knives out there for a fraction of the cost. i dont really understand why the price is so high if its made overseas and its a flipper.

Edit - looks like RG beat me to the question, but what knife with these design features and materials sells for a fraction of the cost???

I can understand someone buying American only, a legitimate expression of nationalism (for Americans).

But when someone writes that they will buy foreign, but from a European nation and not an Asian one, irregardless of comporable quality and without explanation, this troubles me.

i love how people think the knife market is somehow large enough to actually truly make a difference with outsourcing. just about everyone slamming spyderco for this is using an electronic device not made in this country that is part of a market likely a thousand times larger then knives, but such irony is lost on them. spyderco is an american owned company, you cant say that about some that its being compared to. its not spydercos fault we americans have been demonizing knives and their use for decades, letting some of the big time old time knife companies go under, nor is it their fault that the cost of business is too high, and that the average american now cares less about american made products then ever. i salute sal and spyderco for their efforts and operations.

Edit - looks like RG beat me to the question, but what knife with these design features and materials sells for a fraction of the cost???

Its about features and materials. A highly fit and finish knife with a high end steel like this KAI ZT brand Hinderer colloboration is MSRP $325. Elmax steel.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=745&brand=zt

Now here is a Hinderer designed knife from KAI with similar features that has a MSRP of 49.95. I have this one on pre-order. This one is produced in china the steel is the chinese version of AUS8A. Its the Kershaw Brand.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=761&brand=kershaw

I feel both of these knives and the spyderco southard offer great value for the prices being asked. Better fit and finish and better materials add to the cost. The country of origin does not equate to the level of fit and finish.

Smart companies in this global economy will offer a diverse product line hitting different price points and will produce in a variety of nations. They have no choice. Later today I will test drive a toyota tacoma which is a candidate for my next work truck. The highest level of fit and finish. Made in the USA by a japanese company with a domestic parts content higher than similar offerings from the american big 3 car companies who source more parts overseas than toyota does. It really is a crazy ecomomic world.

Last edited:
The street prices I'm finding on the ZT 0561 are essentially the same as the expected street price on the Spyderco Southard, and not "a fraction of" that figure.

Its about features and materials. A highly fit and finish knife with a high end steel like this KAI ZT brand Hinderer colloboration is MSRP $325. Elmax steel.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=745&brand=zt

Now here is a Hinderer designed knife from KAI with similar features that has a MSRP of 49.95. I have this one on pre-order. This one is produced in china the steel is the chinese version of AUS8A. Its the Kershaw Brand.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=761&brand=kershaw

I feel both of these knives and the spyderco southard offer great value for the prices being asked. Better fit and finish and better materials add to the cost. The country of origin does not equate to the level of fit and finish.

Smart companies in this global economy will offer a diverse product line hitting different price points and will produce in a variety of nations. They have no choice. Later today I will test drive a toyota tacoma which is a candidate for my next work truck. The highest level of fit and finish. Made in the USA by a japanese company with a domestic parts content higher than similar offerings from the american big 3 car companies who source more parts overseas than toyota does. It really is a crazy ecomomic world.

Politics? I'm closing this thread. The Spyderco mods can open it again if they wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back